Henry shot himself in the foot

I like Travis Henry and have always respected his toughness and tenacity, especially after suffering a broken leg in 2003 and still having multiple 100 yard games.

I give hime credit for correcting his fumbling problems. Unfortunately, the that's one reputation that's hard to shake, even if the problem is minimized. Henry has had some great games and let's not forget a few awesome stiff-arms.

Henry IS a good back. The idea of giving him away for anything less than a 2nd round draft choice or other comparable NFL talent is unthinkable.

BUT...Henry may have shot himself in the foot with all of his pouting and whining.

If Henry had simply been a standup guy, kept a smile on his face, supported the team's decision to stick with McGahee, stated in the press that he would do whatever it took to help the Buffalo Bills, etc...he might have gotten the trade and interest he was hoping for.

Now, along with his fumbling reputation, he'll have the reputation of malcontent as well. There may be some team out there who was willing to make a mutually acceptable trade with Donahoe, but if they couldn't guarantee a starting role, they would have only inherited the same situation of having an unhappy reserve pouting player infecting the sidelines.

Henry should have just kept his mouth shut.

I mean, what the hell is his big gripe anyway? He's not "playing" as much as he'd like. Gee....we should all have such worries. At some point a few years ago, he took someone else's job in order to become a starter. Now the shoe's on the other foot. Waaaaaaaaaahh!!!! Get over it. That's life in the NFL. Even if he never plays another down, he's already had more glory than any of us could ever dream of.

Grow up Travis.

Alright! Another Travis tread! Much like his career, I have a feeling this thread will be short lived.

318137[/snapback]

The thread would have a longer life if it was used as one example of why TD was unable to trade him. The TD bashers are out in full force for not dumping Henry, but no one wants to put any blame on Travis because they're having too much fun dumping on TD.

Just wish that Travis Henry had the same attitude of Kenny Davis. Kenny Davis had equivalent talent (IMHO) to TH when he was in his prime. Yet Kenny Davis never griped, played his role, and was an integral part of Buffalo during the Superbowl runs.

Just wish that Travis Henry had the same attitude of Kenny Davis.  Kenny Davis had equivalent talent (IMHO) to TH when he was in his prime.  Yet Kenny Davis never griped, played his role, and was an integral part of Buffalo during the Superbowl runs.

318147[/snapback]

You can't teach integrity.

Who's to blame... I will show you...he's right here...

Travis' puppeteer

Travis is not plotting this strategy on his own...

The telling quote from TD in the post draft press conference:

"The agent requested the trade and we ended up working harder than the agent to try to make it happen."

Note to Travis---fire your man Hadley--its the perfect time--your deal is expiring and you can offer someone a decent commission on your new deal.

Who's to blame... I will show you...he's right here...

Travis' puppeteer

Travis is not plotting this strategy on his own...

The telling quote from TD in the post draft press conference:

"The agent requested the trade and we ended up working harder than the agent to try to make it happen."

Note to Travis---fire your man Hadley--its the perfect time--your deal is expiring and you can offer someone a decent commission on your new deal.

318154[/snapback]

That's actually a very good idea and a very good way for henry to save face and come back to the Bills without his tail between his legs. A new agent could handle all of his public relations problems and keep travis away from saying something stupid. He could make nice with the Bills on a fresh start and do a world of good for Travis for next year when he can sign with anyone else. And it could take a lot of the ill will the Bills front office and fans have toward Travis, too.

That's actually a very good idea and a very good way for henry to save face and come back to the Bills without his tail between his legs. A new agent could handle all of his public relations problems and keep travis away from saying something stupid. He could make nice with the Bills on a fresh start and do a world of good for Travis for next year when he can sign with anyone else. And it could take a lot of the ill will the Bills front office and fans have toward Travis, too.

318167[/snapback]

I would love to see Travis in a Bills uni for the 2005 season...even if it means we get nothing for him at the end of the season. You need quality depth at running back and he is quality depth...

The thread would have a longer life if it was used as one example of why TD was unable to trade him. The TD bashers are out in full force for not dumping Henry, but no one wants to put any blame on Travis because they're having too much fun dumping on TD.

318141[/snapback]

Yeah, lets all shed a tear for poor old TD because he is the first GM in the history of the NFL to have to find a decent deal for a player whining to be traded. It is his job. Its like complaining that the only reason you haven't scored a touchdown is becuase those rotten defenders keep tackling you.

All the people who were waxing dreamily about the brilliant Henry trade TD was sure to pull off despite the doubts of others are now just as certain that he was brilliant for not trading Henry. Any who disagree are "TD bashers". His goal was to trade Henry for some good value, he didn't pull it off. We'll live.

Yeah, lets all shed a tear for poor old TD because he is the first GM in the history of the NFL to have to find a decent deal for a player whining to be traded.  It is his job.  Its like complaining that the only reason you haven't scored a touchdown is becuase those rotten defenders keep tackling you. 

All the people who were waxing dreamily about the brilliant Henry trade TD was sure to pull off despite the doubts of others are now just as certain that he was brilliant for not trading Henry.  Any who disagree are "TD bashers".  His goal was to trade Henry for some good value, he didn't pull it off.  We'll live.

318224[/snapback]

And he succeeded in his goal, he didn't get good value. He has him as a back-up. There simply wasn't a good trade to be had. But it's because of a ton of factors, all playing together. Say someone took JJ Arrington a pick or two before the Cardinals. Now all of a sudden a #3 or #2 pick doesn't seem so unreasonable from them but they got their guy because he was available. Just because TD couldn't pull off a great or good trade doesn't mean he is stupid or it was a bonehead manuever. He has been totally consistent this whole time. He may think Travis is worth more than a #5 and doesn't want to just give him away because he would have to go out and find his replacement.

TD wanted to make a good trade. No one thought Travis was worth giving up a big pick because there were RBs out there and not the right teams this year thought it was a good deal. You didnt want to trade a good pick and then have to sign Henry to a longterm deal OR lose him after one year. That hurt his trade value far more than him not being a good player. No one traded for Darius either, or for James or Alexander. It doesn't mean they suck or they're not worth a certain pick, or the GMs are terrible. It only means that the right deal at the right time from two different men and teams didn't simultaneously materialize.

I think Travis shot himself in the foot a long time ago by deciding not to put much effort into blitz pickup, etc.

It seems like his attitude (I can only guess, of course) is like "It's not my job. Let the fu*&in fullback pick up the blitz..."

And BTW doesn't Hadley look a bit like Jim Rome?

Yeah, lets all shed a tear for poor old TD because he is the first GM in the history of the NFL to have to find a decent deal for a player whining to be traded.  It is his job.  Its like complaining that the only reason you haven't scored a touchdown is becuase those rotten defenders keep tackling you. 

All the people who were waxing dreamily about the brilliant Henry trade TD was sure to pull off despite the doubts of others are now just as certain that he was brilliant for not trading Henry.  Any who disagree are "TD bashers".  His goal was to trade Henry for some good value, he didn't pull it off.  We'll live.

318224[/snapback]

Nice selective reading, Mick. What I said was that it could be used "as one example of why TD was unable to trade him." In other words, he didn't help either his cause or TD's. But to blame TD for being stubborn, or overvaluing Henry, or flat out screwing this up is simply indicative of people who have the negotiating skills of a Dion Sanders Hotdog Maker.

Nice selective reading, Mick. What I said was that it could be used "as one example of why TD was unable to trade him." In other words, he didn't help either his cause or TD's. But to blame TD for being stubborn, or overvaluing Henry, or flat out screwing this up is simply indicative of people who have the negotiating skills of a Dion Sanders Hotdog Maker.

318283[/snapback]

LA, I fully agree that Travis hurt the cause, but dont you think it is in some way possible that TD also screwed up just a little?

LA, I fully agree that Travis hurt the cause, but dont you think it is in some way possible that TD also screwed up just a little?

318294[/snapback]

Based strictly on what I know was being discussed (not what was being speculated here) the answer is 'no, I don't think he screwed up a little...or at all...in regards to Henry. Other things...yes. Henry? No.'

I've said this before, and while I know it sounds ethereal to many people, the bottom line is that the most successful negotiators operate on a few basic points:

(1) Get only the deal that makes sense for you. Do business on your own terms.

(2) Know your final offer, and live with it.

(3) If you can not get what you want, be prepared to walk away.

TD needed a few things to happen for him to unload TH, but the bottom line is we didn't HAVE to get rid of him simply to move up in a draft that clearly sucked. I find it hard to believe that TD's whole draft strategy was to unload TH so he could get Baas or some other player. He probably went into the draft thinking...let's just use the picks we have and if an opportunity presents itself, fine.

hey i enjoy dumping on TD! <_< If we didnt do that we'd ust have everyone agreeing here!

318286[/snapback]

i've never taken a dump at OBD, let alone one on TD...altho i did take a dump in the small patch of woods next to one of the parking lots at the ralph during a tailgate once...

Based strictly on what I know was being discussed (not what was being speculated here) the answer is 'no, I don't think he screwed up a little...or at all...in regards to Henry. Other things...yes. Henry? No.'

I've said this before, and while I know it sounds ethereal to many people, the bottom line is that the most successful negotiators operate on a few basic points:

(1) Get only the deal that makes sense for you. Do business on your own terms.

(2) Know your final offer, and live with it.

(3) If you can not get what you want, be prepared to walk away.

TD needed a few things to happen for him to unload TH, but the bottom line is we didn't HAVE to get rid of him simply to move up in a draft that clearly sucked. I find it hard to believe that TD's whole draft strategy was to unload TH so he could get Baas or some other player. He probably went into the draft thinking...let's just use the picks we have and if an opportunity presents itself, fine.

318309[/snapback]

Thank you for a well thought response.

The only thing I can add is that by your very terms, at some point it is VERY possible that TD will simply be forced to cut him and get zero in return.

Would you agree on this?

Quit dreaming... in fact, Travis never did whine until after the season was over when it no longer mattered. When he was demoted, he faced the press like a man, and said that he knows his role and accepts it. Thats the bottom line.

Was he happy about it? No... but he repeatedly said that he accepts his role and was never a distraction in the locker room. When Drew Bledsoe was benched, he WAS a distraction in New England -- just read the book Patriot Reign.

Travis, on the other hand, was not. He's not a smart guy but he's not a locker room cancer, either. I don't think teams give a damn whether he pouted or not. The market for RB's was dry -- plain and simple.

I like Travis Henry and have always respected his toughness and tenacity, especially after suffering a  broken leg in 2003 and still having multiple 100 yard games.

I give hime credit for correcting his fumbling problems. Unfortunately, the that's one reputation that's hard to shake, even if the problem is minimized. Henry has had some great games and let's not forget a few awesome stiff-arms.

Henry IS a good back. The idea of giving him away for anything less than a 2nd round draft choice or other comparable NFL talent is unthinkable.

BUT...Henry may have shot himself in the foot with all of his pouting and whining.

If Henry had simply been a standup guy, kept a smile on his face, supported the team's decision to stick with McGahee, stated in the press that he would do whatever it took to help the Buffalo Bills, etc...he might have gotten the trade and interest he was hoping for.

Now, along with his fumbling reputation, he'll have the reputation of malcontent as well. There may be some team out there who was willing to make a mutually acceptable trade with Donahoe, but if they couldn't guarantee a starting role, they would have only inherited the same situation of having an unhappy reserve pouting player infecting the sidelines.

Henry should have just kept his mouth shut.

I mean, what the hell is his big gripe anyway? He's not "playing" as much as he'd like. Gee....we should all have such worries. At some point a few years ago, he took someone else's job in order to become a starter. Now the shoe's on the other foot. Waaaaaaaaaahh!!!! Get over it. That's life in the NFL. Even if he never plays another down, he's already had more glory than any of us could ever dream of.

Grow up Travis.

318129[/snapback]

Thank you for a well thought response.

The only thing I can add is that by your very terms, at some point it is VERY possible that TD will simply be forced to cut him and get zero in return.

Would you agree on this?

318319[/snapback]

I do agree, and I'm certain that TD knows that better than me. But he won't have to cut him for a very long time. My understanding is that he simply will cost us $1.25M in this year's cap, which is chump change...relatively speaking. Meanwhile, TD is given the one thing he needs to unload Henry: Time. Because in due time, any number of things can happen.

(1) A RB can get hurt in the preseason, and TH can be had cheaply.

(2) He can still be traded for a pick for next year.

The same, by the way, could be said about Shelton. He offers a significant cap hit to the Cardinals, and likely will be cut June 1. Assuming that happens, how great to have picked up Shelton, and still be sitting on Henry?

Time and options is all TD can ask for. Believe me, if a year goes by and he can't get anything of value for Henry, not a Bills fan will really care because they'll have a whole new list of things to B word about.