Bills sign Jim Leonhard S Wisconsin

jreed82

Strengths: Extremely productive...A playmaker in the secondary with a nose for the ball...Smart and has great instincts...Good character and hard worker...Fast and quick...Good overall athletic ability...Also a good return man.

Weaknesses: Undersized and very short...Only an average tackler but gives top effort...Might have a limited upside in the pros because of his size.

Notes: Overachiever who was a walk-on that developed into one of the top players at his position in college football...Doesn't have the physical tools you look for but the kind of guy you hate to doubt.

According to local news, Leonhard and a FB from Purdue have already been signed.  Leonhard is only 5-8 with below average speed, what is he going to provide for us???

317544[/snapback]

another undersized player who could be a good returnman, he was 2nd in the BIG 10 last year in punt return average (12.66 per return).

Jim Leonhard, 5-9 185, SR, Wisconsin

He might be short in height, but he is not short on production and he can't be over-looked. In 2002 and 2003 Jimmy boy has came up with more interceptions than any other defensive back in the entire nation with 18. He is a special player and is one of the best return men in the nation, stocky, strong durable, everything you want in a football player except height. When I see him returning punts and kicks out there he reminds me so much of ex-Iowa WR Tim Dwight. He will probably slip a little in the draft but could wind up as a serious steal. Didn’t run at the combine due to injury.

According to local news, Leonhard and a FB from Purdue have already been signed.  Leonhard is only 5-8 with below average speed, what is he going to provide for us???

317544[/snapback]

think kurt shultz. white guy who can play. (maybe not kurt shultz) i watched him play northwestern 2 years in a row. he's kind of a ball hawk, and he makes plays. if we picked him up, he can contribute. probably special teams, but with pp and ir gone, we need someone who can play on special teams.

another undersized player who could be a good returnman.

317557[/snapback]

I think returning kicks is his biggest asset but it seems we have so many options there already. He may be worth a look given our lack of quality safety depth. I am hoping for either a Shazor or Browner signing

http://www.cnnsi.com/football/2005/draft/players/60614.html

BIO: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors every season since his sophomore campaign. Finished with 72/3/10 as a senior, also averaging 12.7 yards on 35 punt returns. Posted career numbers of 99/11/25 as a sophomore.

POSITIVES: Opportunistic, ball-hawking defensive back with excellent cover skills. Intelligent defender who diagnoses the action, immediately locates the pass in the air, then displays outstanding ball skills. Quickly breaks on the throw, possesses a burst of closing speed and works well with cornerbacks. Efficient, takes good angles to the action and fires up the field in run support. Does an exceptional job staying with the action, remaining disciplined and reading the quarterback.s eyes. Gets vertical and adjusts in midair to make the interception or defend the throw. Good special teams player.

NEGATIVES: Beaten out by larger receivers. Has difficulty in man-to-man situations. Suffered from a stress fracture in his left foot and unable to perform in the postseason.

ANALYSIS: While lacking the true size/speed numbers for any single position in the defensive backfield, Leonhard's productivity and football awareness cannot be overlooked. Known for his work ethic, he is a consistent defender with top intangibles.

PROJECTION: Mid Fourth Round

Nice article on him returning punts:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:VnrUJTP...onhard%22&hl=en

Tom Donahoe is looking for that special special teams player still

PFW draft profile:

5' 8" 191 4.55e

Positives: Very productive. Excellent reading the QB and breaking on the ball. Great football instincts. Senses combination routes and reacts fearlessly to what he sees. Very good ball skills. Tough enough to drop down in the box and will stick his face in to make tackles. Disciplined, sees the cutback and makes plays backside. Recognizes play-action and quickly reacts to crossing routes. Covers a lot of ground. Very confident with good hands. Good leaping ability to highpoint the ball. Has punt return ability with good vision and some elusiveness. Top intangibles. Film junkie who can also dunk a basketball. Strong pound-for-pound.

Negatives: Very undersized. Lacks strength at point of attack. Not a very physical tackler. Does not have great pure speed and recovery speed. Could wear down late in the year.

Summary: If he were three inches taller and thirty pounds heavier he would be getting looks in the first round. Looks like Opie Taylor but plays like Gary Fencik. :( Teams downgrading him for his lack of size will miss out on a very good football player. Return skills should bring him off draft boards early on the second day.

Basically, you sign 12-15 of these UDFA's after the draft ends and hope 1 or 2 work out. Last year, we had 3 from Tennessee make the team.

317615[/snapback]

Don't Forget about Shaud! (and eventually Peters)

The free agent signing that I really like is George Gause. I've got a lot of family and friends who have went through South Carolina, so I've been to a few of their games. I'm amazed that Gause went undrafted, my best guess is because he's not uber-fast coming off the edge, but still...this kid will have a great chance to make the final roster.

Wait a minute the Bills signed someone I had listed in my mock.  Take that Mel Kiper! I'm coming after your job.  ;)

317704[/snapback]

Heck, I think your batting average already beats Kiper! :lol:

After all, he publishes about 700 mocks before the draft, hoping to cover his over-coiffed heinie and keep his reputation.

He may not make it out of camp, but he will work his ass off. On a HORRIBLE Badger defense, he elevated the play of others, very tenacious. Was the fan favorite many times over. Overachiever absolutely.

As for slowing down at the end of a season, he was always on the field on defense and returning punts, running around like a madman.

Good pickup, at least to make sure that tenacity is present at camp.

Wait a minute the Bills signed someone I had listed in my mock.  Take that Mel Kiper! I'm coming after your job.  :o

317704[/snapback]

Hey wait! That qualifies you to write a draft column for Yahoo! You can reem all the teams you don't like, give kudos to your faves. Woo-hoo!