Tony Bennett: Alzheimers

\GoBillsInDallas/

Recent song by him:

Tony Bennett performing “Fly Me To The Moon" Listen to Tony Bennett: https://TonyBennett.lnk.to/listenYD

Alzheimers is a terrible disease.  Turn my mother-in-law, who was a sweet lady into someone who could not recognize my wife (She did recognize me but I stand out in Hong Kong), into a woman who drove family for she was repeatedly telling people to do things which they had already did.

So, in my lifetime, we've lost SO MANY of these icons that it is inevitable to see something like this.

We saw Muhammad Ali turn into a virtual mute barely able to communicate.

We saw Richard Pryor deteriorate before our very eyes and a shell of who he once was.

We saw Robin Williams one minute just about every year, and suddenly he took his own life because he couldn't live like Ali or Pryor.

Getting old doesn't prepare you for the incalculable losses, and boy am I feeling it at almost 50. This is just another terribly sad story after so many other terribly sad stories.

Sorry, but the endless stories get to me after a while. There really isn't much left from when I was a kid... and soon I'll be them. So live life to the full... squeeze every last hour out of each day.

Just now, Doc said:

A guy in his 90s with Alzheimers?  NFW!

Don't worry... old age is coming for you, and there will be a younger person to come along and make a snarky comment while you're barely able to communicate with people. Best to not say anything at all than that.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/1/2021 at 10:48 PM, EasternOHBillsFan said:

So, in my lifetime, we've lost SO MANY of these icons that it is inevitable to see something like this.

We saw Muhammad Ali turn into a virtual mute barely able to communicate.

We saw Richard Pryor deteriorate before our very eyes and a shell of who he once was.

We saw Robin Williams one minute just about every year, and suddenly he took his own life because he couldn't live like Ali or Pryor.

Getting old doesn't prepare you for the incalculable losses, and boy am I feeling it at almost 50. This is just another terribly sad story after so many other terribly sad stories.

Sorry, but the endless stories get to me after a while. There really isn't much left from when I was a kid... and soon I'll be them. So live life to the full... squeeze every last hour out of each day.

Don't worry... old age is coming for you, and there will be a younger person to come along and make a snarky comment while you're barely able to communicate with people. Best to not say anything at all than that.

Somewhere along the line reverence and respect went way out the window.   The way we treat the elderly in this country is abhorrent.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Somewhere along the line reverence and respect went way out the window.   The way we treat the elderly in this country is abhorrent.  

Believe me, I know... my grandmother was in hospice for years due to advanced Alzheimers... my wife's grandmother had vascular Parkinson's and she also experienced a lot of dementia and she died in front of me which is indescribable. Just because someone is much older doesn't make it any less tragic.

At least once a week I spend on the floor sleeping  next to my  94 year old mom's bed.  She'lll wake up yelling someone is attacking her . Go in there to shut her up and  it sometimes takes an hour or sp, so sleeping on the floor is easiest. Earlier  this week I had to chase "them" out with her cane and beat "them' with it so she would finally fall back asleep..

Edited by Wacka

12 minutes ago, Wacka said:

At least once a week I spend on the floor sleeping  next to my  94 year old mom's bed.  She[ll wake up yelling someone is attacking her . Go in there to shut her up and  up sometimes takes an hour or sp, so sleeping on the floor is easiest. Earlier  this week I had to chase "them" out with her cane and beat "them' with it so she would finally fall back asleep..

Sorry to hear this. Best wishes for improvement soon.

18 hours ago, Wacka said:

At least once a week I spend on the floor sleeping  next to my  94 year old mom's bed.  She'lll wake up yelling someone is attacking her . Go in there to shut her up and  it sometimes takes an hour or sp, so sleeping on the floor is easiest. Earlier  this week I had to chase "them" out with her cane and beat "them' with it so she would finally fall back asleep..

You have my sympathy. My mother-in-law was in that stage but more frequent and in order for my sister-in-law and brother-in-law to continue to work they needed to higher some help which was a maid from another country which is very, very common in Hong Kong.  She was so bad that the maid was often crying and had her contract terminated early at her request. An additional maid was hired and she was there until my mother-in-law died.

Another night on the floor.  Was up 5-110 minutes every hour.  No yelling at  monsters, but I was to tell "him" to go to the hospital and get an operation to save his life. Got 90 min of solid sleep from 6-7:30.Wants to get out of bed, but when I try to get her out, she is fighting too much.

Edited by Wacka

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.