Adam Gase and Bill O’Brien - OC candidates for Bama

YoloinOhio

I could see Gase, honestly.  If all he has to do is get a bunch of 5 star recruits to rack up yardage, and not the other 99 things the HC has to worry about, he'll be ok.   It's not like Saban would give him a very long leash in any case. 

I have a much harder time imagining BOB in that role. 

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Both meh choices for Bama

I think Saban is winding down and maybe doesn't want to do the work required to bring someone newer along.

I also suspect that they're going to go after Dabo Swinney hard once Saban announces his retirement, which could very well be next week after they win the Natty.

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I think Saban is winding down and maybe doesn't want to do the work required to bring someone newer along.

I also suspect that they're going to go after Dabo Swinney hard once Saban announces his retirement, which could very well be next week after they win the Natty.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Dabo make the jump to the NFL, especially if Houston comes calling. 

Just now, H2o said:

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Dabo make the jump to the NFL, especially if Houston comes calling. 

Yeah definitely possible.  JAG in Houston or King of Tuscaloosa, the choice is your Mr Swinney

10 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I could see Gase, honestly.  If all he has to do is get a bunch of 5 star recruits to rack up yardage, and not the other 99 things the HC has to worry about, he'll be ok.   It's not like Saban would give him a very long leash in any case. 

I have a much harder time imagining BOB in that role. 

But he actually has to do the recruiting.... not sure I see that as something he would be good at but Bama basically recruits itself I guess

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

But he actually has to do the recruiting.... not sure I see that as something he would be good at but Bama basically recruits itself I guess

Saban is the King recruiter.  He shows up at some 5 star's house, and walks out with another weapon.   I doubt they bring Gase in with the notion he'll be a primary recruiter.  Frankly, it would be the best move for Gase because whomever is in that job is going to look like a genius

Just now, dorquemada said:

Saban is the King recruiter.  He shows up at some 5 star's house, and walks out with another weapon.   I doubt they bring Gase in with the notion he'll be a primary recruiter.  Frankly, it would be the best move for Gase because whomever is in that job is going to look like a genius

Saban  just comes in at the end to close. The assistants do all the recruiting 

O'Brien went from the savior of Penn State to the all everything of the NFL Texans to possibly the Alabama OC?

That's quite the career path. 

That said, college and the NFL are so different. Yes, it's football, but being on a college campus all the time and working with student athletes who look up to you and buy in to whatever you say because you're Nick Freaking Saban (or one of his staff) is so different from managing multi-millionaire NFL players. 

For one, you have the chance to mentor young people and help them build the foundation for a successful life.  Sure, that's also true to some extent in the NFL, but I can see how that speaks to many coaches. 

I can imagine the college coaching world, especially if you're a top guy at a top program, is a whole lot of fun. College campuses are fun places to be. The games have a festival atmosphere. You make almost as much as NFL coaches. Players are fun to be around. College towns are awesome places to live. You're the toast of the town.

Unless you absolutely must be seen as the very top guy at the highest level of the sport winning on Super Bowl Sunday it's a really cool gig. 

Edited by TheFunPolice