The Mind of Josh Patrick Allen

2 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Josh Allen is one of the smartest, brightest, most intelligent players in the entire NFL.

Both his real life IQ and Football IQ are through the roof.

10/10 in terms of Intelligence.

So Its almost like putting Fitzpatricks brain into the body of Superman,

Is what your saying...

Edited by Figster

Josh occasionally slips out of the groove, so to speak, he is looking but not seeing, gets a bit fixated on the wrong things, I don’t know if he will ever shake this from happening once in a while... I suspect that Daboll is giving Josh a verbal slap on the head when they review tape... jmo

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Josh Allen is one of the smartest, brightest, most intelligent players in the entire NFL.

Both his real life IQ and Football IQ are through the roof.

10/10 in terms of Intelligence.

One spawn time, I was asked to tutor a senior guy in the company where I worked.  Guy lacked background on some of the new projects and it disadvantaged him to ask the right questions and push back when needed.  I was able to get him to the point where he could stand his ground and raise issues that needed raised with the "best and brightest". 

One of our catch phrases became:  "Smart is as Smart Does".  Doesn't matter if someone is a super-genius, they can still be missing info & make questionable decisions.

If you're trying to tell me it's a super-genius football decision to pull the ball out of Moss's hands then keep it himself, try to juke  Bosa out of his cleats, then fight to stay upright and heave the ball at Davis at the risk of his knee ligaments instead of just going down, then I'm here with my 2/10 Football IQ to tell you that you are mistaken.  Josh Allen may be a 10/10 Super Genius at football and life.  There were times in that Chargers game - there will be times in future Bills games - where we don't need a Super-genius, we someone who ***** falls on the ball or tucks it away and slides like any dumb ***** could do. 

7 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Dawkins has been playing in the same spot basically his whole career.  He just got a monster extension.  There is no excuse for what he put out there against LAC.  Granted Bosa is an All Pro but Dawkins’ technique in pass pro was utter garbage.  He’s been a solid player this year but he needs to find “playoff-level consistency” in his game.  Can’t be having total stinkers like that.

Thought Williams also had a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

But it went beyond the physical play of the line.  For example, it's a separate issue, but in the first play I mentioned, the one where Bosa corkscrews Allen?

Here's the line pre-snap.  Looks OK. 

image.thumb.png.4fdf3d77e79ae29a0a1c6f4a64dc9e72.png

Here's the line just after the snap.

image.thumb.png.2bde8dd64c3299967f2571b79b3040d5.png

WTF is up with that L shift leaving Bosa uncovered? 

Clearly something on the protection calls is AFU, whether it's on Josh or Morse or it's Williams mistake, can't tell ya. 

But no possible way was that schemed to leave Bosa uncovered.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thought Williams also had a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

But it went beyond the physical play of the line.  For example, it's a separate issue, but in the first play I mentioned, the one where Bosa corkscrews Allen?

Here's the line pre-snap.  Looks OK. 

image.thumb.png.4fdf3d77e79ae29a0a1c6f4a64dc9e72.png

Here's the line just after the snap.

image.thumb.png.2bde8dd64c3299967f2571b79b3040d5.png

WTF is up with that L shift leaving Bosa uncovered? 

Clearly something on the protection calls is AFU, whether it's on Josh or Morse or it's Williams mistake, can't tell ya. 

But no possible way was that schemed to leave Bosa uncovered.

Bosa is the conflict defender for the option run and isnt supposed to be blocked.  Allen is reading him (hes staring right at him).  Allen thought Bosa was crashing down, but he wasnt (or was athletic enough to recover).  

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Bosa is the conflict defender for the option run and isnt supposed to be blocked.  Allen is reading him (hes staring right at him).  Allen thought Bosa was crashing down, but he wasnt (or was athletic enough to recover).  

OK, watched again, Thank you, I get it now!  Bosa is supposed to bite on the run, and go after Moss. 

image.thumb.png.9d3c21eea21ffdae9065175d5d780a6f.png

But he's 100% not fooled - the moment Josh pulls it back, he puts on the brakes (either probabilities from scouting or a "tell")

image.thumb.png.348050602ce13ba72e8518139771c67e.png

As Allen turns to run he is with him all the way

image.thumb.png.f10fef58d998f45dbd557eaa718caef1.png

Allen tries to juke him but Not Happening

An RPO with certain guys as the conflict defender is probably a Plan where You Lose Your Hat - a Bad Plan. [Edit: I'm talking RPO with the Allen Keep option]

Eric Wood says something more diplomatic with about the same meaning:

"When Uchenna Nwosu and Melvin Ingram were declared out for the game, I believe that the Bills should have devoted a little bit more attention to Joey Bosa."

• Like (+1) 1

My understanding is that running the option at a good pass rusher can slow them down.  so i think that is what they are trying to do with targeting Bosa (otherwise why would you run this at Bosa).  Either way I agree Josh messed up on this read here (he has struggled with this at times).

All starting QBs fail to spot open receivers, even the best ones. Most of them make desperation bonehead plays too - witness Ben R's enzone pick versus the Ravens the other day. Allen has come a very long ways in managing these tendencies. In fact when he gets outstanding pass pro (which also has happened, though not last Sunday) he's already downright deadly as far as the passing game is concerned. Given his history he's getting the kind of coaching and experience that his peer group benefited from long before joining the pro ranks. IMO assuming the Bills continue to surround him with a good supporting cast, which I expect they will, his ceiling should be defined and stabilized by the end of 2021 but probably not before. In other words I think he takes another big step forward next year. I think he probably winds up consensus top 5 year in year out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, watched again, Thank you, I get it now!  Bosa is supposed to bite on the run, and go after Moss. 

image.thumb.png.9d3c21eea21ffdae9065175d5d780a6f.png

But he's 100% not fooled - the moment Josh pulls it back, he puts on the brakes (either probabilities from scouting or a "tell")

image.thumb.png.348050602ce13ba72e8518139771c67e.png

As Allen turns to run he is with him all the way

image.thumb.png.f10fef58d998f45dbd557eaa718caef1.png

Allen tries to juke him but Not Happening

An RPO with certain guys as the conflict defender is probably a Plan where You Lose Your Hat - a Bad Plan.

Eric Wood says something more diplomatic with about the same meaning:

"When Uchenna Nwosu and Melvin Ingram were declared out for the game, I believe that the Bills should have devoted a little bit more attention to Joey Bosa."

Honestly they should drop the RPO from the playbook.  Allen almost always keeps so it's not fooling anyone.  And he doesn't run it well or with confidence in any event.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Honestly they should drop the RPO from the playbook.  Allen almost always keeps so it's not fooling anyone.  And he doesn't run it well or with confidence in any event.

Do you mean the option?  RPO we do well with. I would like Allen to be more efficient in the option game cause you’re right most of the problems come from him keeping it. However it’s not bad enough to take it out of the playbook, and he has shown an ability to to use it. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If that's true, I wonder that they didn't pick that up on self-scouting, especially over the bye. 

Do you know where to find stats on that?  Pro-football-ref has a lot of breakdowns but none I can find on RPO.

2 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

My understanding is that running the option at a good pass rusher can slow them down.  so i think that is what they are trying to do with targeting Bosa (otherwise why would you run this at Bosa).  Either way I agree Josh messed up on this read here (he has struggled with this at times).

Now that I get more confirmation on the RPO and better understanding on Bosa, I think the pass option would have worked quite nicely.

Here's the mesh point as close as I can clip it, and it can be seen that Davis already has the "flag up" and is looking and McKensie is positioned to block for him.

image.thumb.png.ed4214cbdce8ecb59194a9c1c2880131.png

It would be close, but if Allen pulls it, steps back and fires, I think it works.  There's no defender anywhere near Davis, if Allen mis-fires the worst that happens is it's incomplete or Davis doesn't get much YAC and Davis has shown he can handle a throw that's high or off-target a bit. 

And speaking of pass, I think I've beaten this play like a passed-away pony; I'm out

2 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Do you mean the option?  RPO we do well with. I would like Allen to be more efficient in the option game cause you’re right most of the problems come from him keeping it. However it’s not bad enough to take it out of the playbook, and he has shown an ability to to use it. 

Yes sorry I mean handoff/keeper option. RPO works well in this offense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If that's true, I wonder that they didn't pick that up on self-scouting, especially over the bye. 

Do you know where to find stats on that?  Pro-football-ref has a lot of breakdowns but none I can find on RPO.

Now that I get more confirmation on the RPO and better understanding on Bosa, I think the pass option would have worked.

Here's the mesh point as close as I can clip it, and it can be seen that Davis already has the "flag up" and is looking and McKensie is positioned to block for him.

image.thumb.png.ed4214cbdce8ecb59194a9c1c2880131.png

It would be close, but if Allen pulls it, steps back and fires, I think it works.  There's no defender anywhere near Davis, if Allen mis-fires the worst that happens is it's incomplete or Davis doesn't get much YAC and Davis has shown he can handle a throw that's high or off-target a bit.

And speaking of pass, I think I've beaten this play to like a passed-away pony

So I don’t think there was a pass option on this at all. It was RB run or Allen run.  I’m basing this on the conflict defender. Usually you don’t want the conflict defender to be the DE on an RPO cause your QB is gonna get hit. For RPO the LB is the conflict defender

some @Cover 1 work where I was getting my understanding from. 

https://youtu.be/-WXX-mrk-n0

Edited by YattaOkasan

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

So I don’t think there was a pass option on this at all. It was RB run or Allen run.  I’m basing this on the conflict defender. Usually you don’t want the conflict defender to be the DE on an RPO cause your QB is gonna get hit. For RPO the LB is the conflict defender

some @Cover 1 work where I was getting my understanding from. 

https://youtu.be/-WXX-mrk-n0

So what's Davis doing?  Stretching his right shoulder?  I dunno, you could be right, but I believe Davis acted like he expected a pass and was making himself QB friendly.

And the logic there?  It's not going to be a DE as the conflict defender on an RPO because the QB is gonna get hit, but we'll run a handoff/keeper where we send the QB right into the unblocked face of one of the league's best and nimblest pass rusher, where....wait for it...your QB is gonna get hit?

On what Alternate Earth does that make sense?

Thanks for the link I'll check it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Every QB is gonna have a few stinkers.. Even Manning.. Even Brady... Even Russell Wilson..

Shoot.. looking back at all my failures in life, I guess I failed some tests miserably as well.. How can I critique Allen when he’s a pro QB in the NFL and I’m some random Joe Schmoe? He’s accomplished more in his short life than I will in 100 or 200 years.. Shoot, if I could remember to put the lid up on the toilet before I pee would be a good start..

I’m not worried so much about the occasional failure, rather a series, a pattern of failures.. Allen has a pretty solid pattern of great QB play this year.. He’s corrected mistakes and has improved rapidly all across the board.. Not worried by a few bad plays here n there..

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what's Davis doing?  Stretching his right shoulder?  I dunno, you could be right, but I believe Davis acted like he expected a pass and was making himself QB friendly.

And the logic there?  It's not going to be a DE as the conflict defender on an RPO because the QB is gonna get hit, but we'll run a handoff/keeper where we send the QB right into the unblocked face of one of the league's best and nimblest pass rusher, where....wait for it...your QB is gonna get hit?

On what Alternate Earth does that make sense?

Thanks for the link I'll check it out. 

I think Davis is just occupying. If you do the read option right the QB doesn’t get hit by the conflict defender. If the point is don’t run option at bosa cause he’s too much of an athlete then I’m agree. There are other things you can do to slow his rush that don’t risk your QB (draws and screens).  The link is really good for the RPO and he highlights the conflict defender a lot. 

EDIT in your stills Darryl Williams is 5 yards down field and I think may have been called for ineligible in the game. This is a good sign the pass wasn’t part of the play. 

2x EDIT pro football reference play by play confirms a declined penalty on Williams on this play.  Back to your OP I agree some of the sugar high Josh plays scares (there was a throw to Beasley that was very scary while he was being sacked). 

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think Davis is just occupying. If you do the read option right the QB doesn’t get hit by the conflict defender. If the point is don’t run option at bosa cause he’s too much of an athlete then I’m agree. There are other things you can do to slow his rush that don’t risk your QB (draws and screens).  The link is really good for the RPO and he highlights the conflict defender a lot. 

EDIT in your stills Darryl Williams is 5 yards down field and I think may have been called for ineligible in the game. This is a good sign the pass wasn’t part of the play. 

2x EDIT pro football reference play by play confirms a declined penalty on Williams on this play.  Back to your OP I agree some of the sugar high Josh plays scares (there was a throw to Beasley that was very scary while he was being sacked). 

Correct he was flagged.  It was just a great play by Bosa and a botched option read by Josh but honestly, you’re in the red zone, call the comfort plays Dabs.

• Like (+1) 1