[OT]Ivan give the people of Florida a break!

LabattBlue

I heard this morning that there is a device they can drop from the sky into the middle of a hurricane in order to record the wind speed.  They did this with Ivan and gusts were recorded at 230 mph!  WTF....enough already!

23415[/snapback]

They are called dropsonds. They are delivered by an overflying plane, and parachute down while transmitting data. They're about the size of a propane cylinder.

Stevestojan, good to hear from you! This thing is a killer! I heard today that 15 people are dead in Granada and 90% of the homes were damaged if not destroyed. I have no plans of relocating, but this is getting old fast. It looks like it's headed to Orlando again!

Jeff

A few days it looked like it might miss southern Florida and head into the Gulf of Mexico, maybe making landfall somwhere from the panhandle to New Orleans. Now it's looking more like it could follow the path of Charlie. This thing means business. It's a category 5. If it were in the western Pacific it would be called a super typhoon. The Atlantic almost never gets storms this strong. BTW, that measurement of 200+ mph was not made at ground level. Wind speeds are always slower at ground level because of friction with the surface of the earth. Still 160 mph winds makes this a killer storm. If it heads your way, get out, don't try to ride it out unless you live in a cave.

A few days it looked like it might miss southern Florida and head into the Gulf of Mexico, maybe making landfall somwhere from the panhandle to New Orleans.  Now it's looking more like it could follow the path of Charlie.  This thing means business.  It's a category 5.  If it were in the western Pacific it would be called a super typhoon.  The Atlantic almost never gets storms this strong.  BTW, that measurement of 200+ mph was not made at ground level.  Wind speeds are always slower at ground level because of friction with the surface of the earth.  Still 160 mph winds makes this a killer storm.  If it heads your way, get out, don't try to ride it out unless you live in a cave.

23714[/snapback]

Are you listening stevestojan.

Question for you people in Orlando: When I went to Disney last year, the airport limo/shuttle driver was very informative, and he said the reason that Disney chose Orlando was that they have never been hit by a hurricane.

With Charlie and Frances, did Orlando actually get hit by a hurricane or just it's aftermath?

Question for you people in Orlando:  When I went to Disney last year, the airport limo/shuttle driver was very informative, and he said the reason that Disney chose Orlando was that they have never been hit by a hurricane. 

With Charlie and Frances, did Orlando actually get hit by a hurricane or just it's aftermath?

23834[/snapback]

For frances, just the aftermath. I had two people at work who left here to go to Orlando... they just got back today and said it wasnt that bad at all.

Yeah for Franceas Orlando was spared as far as anything major. Disney and the parks opened up the next day though. Nonetheless it was still nerveracking esp. whe the beers started to get down into the teens and stores were closing! :pirate: Well I'm going to Tampa in a few for the Van Halen show tonight! Nice reprieve from all the gloom and doom of the weather reports. GO Bills and be safe all!