Latest round of ESPN layoffs: How would you fix ESPN? Can it be fixed?

dpberr

11 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Sinclair will scoop up the remaining Boomer market because they value pushing a conservative agenda above the actual profit. Any other good independent local media will struggle to survive. Youtube makes it easier to be independent but harder to be localized.

I’m gonna guess that Sinclair is more interested in making a profit. I think they have a varied selection of programming that covers a wide perspective of political spectrums. 

1 hour ago, QLBillsFan said:

I’m gonna guess that Sinclair is more interested in making a profit. I think they have a varied selection of programming that covers a wide perspective of political spectrums. 

I know they are interested in turning a profit but they are also interested in pushing a right leaning political agenda. Considering that their business model is basically running local TV stations that model is running into issues and it is only going to get worse as their audience ages out. But considering that they like pushing that agenda they will hang onto that market longer than most other business interests would have. 

I’m so old..

I remember when it 1st aired. Boxing, soccer and Austrian Rules football ruled the night airwaves. Sportscenter was absolutely Must See TV for sports fans thirsting for coverage! Everything they did turned Gold.

I’m so old, when I was in school there was no history class.

🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I know they are interested in turning a profit but they are also interested in pushing a right leaning political agenda. Considering that their business model is basically running local TV stations that model is running into issues and it is only going to get worse as their audience ages out. But considering that they like pushing that agenda they will hang onto that market longer than most other business interests would have. 

Local TV stations have no agenda. Again Sinclair owns multiple stations in the same markets that cater to a wide array of musical genres. Talk radio has a conservative bent to it because that makes money. Liberal talk radio has up to this point never been profitable. So it’s a business model to make money so I’ll agree on that. Conservative radio will thrive as an option to now what is a more liberal president. The conservative agenda won’t age out. It delivers to the 45-64 demographic which is the most affluent group. It won’t age out as many people become most conservative as they hit that demographic. 

ESPN needs to look at what is working in sports broadcasting currently,  and emulate that. They likely have far to high overhead costs, and that needs to be trimmed.  As we have all seen, a lot of sports fans get their knickers in a twist when real life events show up in their bubble, so adult issues need to be avoided for those customers.  If they address those things they will likely have more success. Jmo.

Edited by Don Otreply