Hawking Radiation close to bring proven

PromoTheRobot

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-black-hole-information-paradox-comes-to-an-end-20201029/

What this means is anything that falls into a black hole escapes as information one particle at a time. In theory if you could reassemble an object from that information it would be in effect like a Star Trek transporter.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Can someone explain to me how Hawking was able to reply in complete sentences when all he could do was move a joystick?

Macros.

He had a lot of pre-canned answers he could choose from. When he had to craft a new response, he had a lot of pre-assembled phrases which could be combined together. Creating an entirely new answer took more time. The program he used was actually pretty sophisticated, and was updated throughout his life.

Random fact:  I nearly tripped over him once in the aisle of a darkened lecture theater. I looked back to see who was the idiot sprawled in the aisle like that, and my head pretty much exploded.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/30/2020 at 12:13 AM, Jon in Pasadena said:

Macros.

He had a lot of pre-canned answers he could choose from. When he had to craft a new response, he had a lot of pre-assembled phrases which could be combined together. Creating an entirely new answer took more time. The program he used was actually pretty sophisticated, and was updated throughout his life.

Random fact:  I nearly tripped over him once in the aisle of a darkened lecture theater. I looked back to see who was the idiot sprawled in the aisle like that, and my head pretty much exploded.

Kinda reminds me of the system closed-caption typers used for live broadcasts, or at least used to use, but 1000 times more advanced. They had to learn sequences of buttons that would type much larger words and phrases to allow them to keep up with the dialogue. 

Hawkins system basically recognized subtle movements that indicated which words/phrases he wanted to produce.

I might be totally wrong about both these things, but it's what I remember hearing.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:25 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-black-hole-information-paradox-comes-to-an-end-20201029/

What this means is anything that falls into a black hole escapes as information one particle at a time. In theory if you could reassemble an object from that information it would be in effect like a Star Trek transporter.

ed107efe7d8564841c6c1b4386aad6d2.jpg

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.