A Few Thoughts About the Raiders, in no particular order

Virgil

Good write up!

I was very curious going into the game on how Josh Norman would look. Norman was one of the best CB's in the league when he played under McDermott's scheme in Carolina, but didn't have the same success playing in a different scheme for the WTF...excuse me, Washington. If Norman could get back to his old Carolina form, I felt he could have a major impact on the defense. From the postgame interviews I've been reading, it sounds like the play Norman made, plus his verbal presence got the defense pumped up in the second half.

Allen looks leaps and bounds better than he did last year. I believe Allen will continue to get better on the passes you mentioned. Considering this is only four games so far with Diggs, and 20 games with Beasley and Brown, the chemistry they've built in the short amount of time is amazing and will only get better over the course of the season, as well as years to come. It's a great time to be Bills fan. After 17 years of some miserable football, it's a great turnaround.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Virgil said:

9 - Allen - Based off another thread, I know this isn't going to go well.  I'm going to do my best to preface this, but I know it won't matter.  I'm grading Josh based upon how he's played this season and as the AFC MVP he's being talked about as.  With that being said, I think this was Josh's second worst game in this limited 4 game season.  I'm not focusing on the drops or the box score, I'm focusing on his ball placement.  When hitting his players in previous games, he was hitting them in stride on the front half of their body.  In this game, on multiple occasions, he was hitting guys on the back half of their body.  They were still completions and they still got some YAC, but they had to slow down a bit.  This is something he was excellent at the prior two games.  The sack out of FG range is something he's got to get better at and is a known issue for him.  I defend his decisions to fight through sacks that sometimes lead to big plays or negative plays, but he's got to be better in this situation.  He will tell you the same thing.  On the deep ball to Diggs, I want to see the All-22 review, but I also think that's a TD if he leads Diggs at all.  Listen, he had 288 yards in this game, which was better than any of his games prior to this year.  He made an amazing pass to Smoke and others throughout the game.  He's seeing the entire field and in total control.  I'm not crapping on Josh here.  If anything, I love that these are the only things I can say he needs to improve on. 

Great post again. While I think you may have been just a smidge tough on Josh with these points the bolded actually had me pull a hammy. Yes, He needs to clean this up still. I saw him looking for an escape route and that took his eyes off the field. A bit too aware of the pressure. I woke the dead yelling throw the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Watch the play again and tell me what QB turns this throw into a walk in TD:

You're underestimating how difficult it is to throw the ball that far from the angle to an exact spot. Allen did what he was supposed to do, let his #1 receiver in single coverage make a play.

Agree 100%. First that ball traveled 56 yards in the air. You're looking at what 60 plus yards to hit Diggs in stride?

Last year the issue with Allen's deep throws was that he was overthrowing his receivers.  Part of his success this year is he isn't overthrowing them but is slightly under throwing them.  This is by design as it increases the probability of completing the deep pass.

My guess is that in practice Diggs wins most of those "50/50" deep balls against Buffalo's very talented DB's.  In yesterdays game that was more like an 80/20 ball as Allen put it exactly where Diggs could go up and make the play.

16 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Great post again. While I think you may have been just a smidge tough on Josh with these points the bolded actually had me pull a hammy. Yes, He needs to clean this up still. I saw him looking for an escape route and that took his eyes off the field. A bit too aware of the pressure. I woke the dead yelling throw the ball. 

My goal is to look at him like a top 3 QB going forward as I think he's earned that right.  If these are the only things I can call out about his game, then I think he's doing a fantastic job

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/4/2020 at 9:57 PM, Virgil said:
On 10/4/2020 at 9:57 PM, Virgil said:

3 - Singletary - In this pass happy offense, I''m starting to think that these past two games might be the most we get out of our rushing attack. It's not that Motor isn't capable of doing more, as much as it's just not our style of play.  Motor had a great

I'm still in shock of the total revamping and changing of identity of these Bills. 

Is it from here on out a passing team?  It's four games in and now the slinging of the ball starts from the opening bell.  We're daring teams to try and keep up.  I love it, but just did not expect it. 

I don't think enough people are giving McDermott his due.  The defensive, conservative background seems totally changed to an offensive barrage and win it on Offense.  Not only that but to me it seems like he outcoached both whizkid McVay and boy genius Gruden in back to back weeks.  McVay's lost gamble of a fourth down play cost them, and in the Raiders game it was the Bills who went long on third and one (bet he was going to go for it on 4th if missed) and later going for it on fourth and one.  Well done.