I wonder if the opt-outs are having second thoughts

Albany,n.y.

Different players had different motives for opting out.  I doubt any regret it yet, but some may eventually.  On the other hand, I heard the story yesterday of a player from Canada (I didn't catch the name) who is also a medical professional.  He opted out, not out of fear of COVID-19 but out of a desire to stay in Canada and work alongside those who are treating COVID patients.  I doubt he'll regret it in any case.

Those who might eventually regret it the most are those who are less than stars in the game and may be a bit older.  There is always a chance their team might discover a replacement who is better and cheaper.  Star Lotulelei is in that category.  Vernon Butler is his replacement.  Butler may or may not be an upgrade, but he has more physical gifts (bigger, stronger, more athletic).  If Butler plays to his potential, the Bills might be inclined to part with Lotulelei.  Lotulelei may be less able to command as much compensation in his next contract than he received from the Bills.  He'll be 31 next year and has never garnered much notice through his stats.

13 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I wonder if the opt-outs are having second thoughts

I'm sure they are. Human nature. I'm sure the opt-ins are too.

And it's way way way too early to assume that things will go as swimmingly all season as they did through one game.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

There weren't that many that opted out (maybe 50?) & I think probably a fair %age the primary reason was NOT their Covid risk.  Some probably did it for a "business" decision (maybe Star?).  Admittedly, some of those might regret it if in fact the cap drops next year as much as some are estimating.  Didn't Gaines opt out due to "personal reasons".  Then you've got that Canadian MD who opted out for more altruistic reasons.  As for their exposure/risk, it might well be a team by team thing.  I think it's premature to regret a decision like that especially if 1/2 way through the season a couple of teams get hit where 25% of their roster gets infected.

My guess as to how many did this as a "business decision"? 0%. Sorry, this doesn't make sense. You're talking about guys who have already played years in the NFL and many who are likely to play more. Makes no sense whatsoever.

As a family decision / moral decision? Probably nearly all.

Agreed with the rest of your post, though. Beyond the regrets we all have for the road not taken, it's too early for it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

No. I was talking about players.  Take a look at the most important position-QB-not one starting QB opted out. 

QBs share body fluids in the air an awful lot less than guys like linemen do. Linemen are grunting, huffing and gasping right into each other's faces every play as they hit. QBs are often out in space alone cheering. It's a whole different level of risk of passing/receiving a virus.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

What I got from lasts night game:

Can't Get Covid:

Hugging opposing player's prior to cointoss

If you're a player on the slideline

During a moment of unity

While playing

Drinking beer or eating in the stands

Can Get Covid:

During the cointoss

If you're a coach on the sidelines

Cheering for your team in the stands

So the possibility for someone to get covid is literally a cointoss. 

• Like (+1) 1