Joe Marino on "Under the Radar" Superlative= Tackling

39 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/defense_advanced.htm

Put together a quick pivot table to dissect the #s.  Took top 300 players on the list, sorted for games started 10 or more.  Broke it down by position.

Hughes, Lawson, Taron, Jordan Phillips were the worst in missed tackle % as defined by Pro Football Reference.  

Milano's % was a little above average for ALL linebackers which includes some edge rushersat 13.6% while Tremaine's % was below average at 9.8%

Average was 11.0%.

Hyde, TreDavious,  Levi, and Kevin Johnson all compared similarly and slightly above average relative to all defensive backs coming in between 13% and 14%.  Poyer at 7.8% was much lower than the 12.3% average.

Hughes, Lawson, and Phillips were WAY above the average of 13.8%.  DE, DT, and NT was the only positional group with a meaningful spread between average of 13.8% and median of 12.4%.  Murphy was right there at the median and Lorenzo at 9.8% was below. Oliver at 6.5% was way below average.

This seems right. I especially appreciate the averages. I expect the DBs to miss tackles. They are smaller. They are going to get dragged, and guys are going to break those tackles.  I knew Phillips was bad, but Lawson and Hughes really surprised me. But, perception/reality. That whole thing. 

Most important, the focus by the coaching staff to bring in DL really illustrates that they are aware that our DL's tackling was well below average.  Super good sign. 

10 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

But... But... But I've heard, right here, on TBD, from the experts, that Star is terrible, and a waste of money. How... Oh, how can that factual stat about Star be true?

Well maybe he only attempts to make tackles when he is fairly confident he will be able to do it like a QB not taking chances when throwing ball?

15 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Joe is the man! I appreciate all that he does

Yeah is a good joe.

• Haha (+1) 1

Its been an issue to some degree but since we rally to the ball so well many times those missed tackles result in the ballcarrier having to slow down or make extra moves which allow the other defenders to get there and make the tackle which ends up not hurting them.

Now if the other defenders can't get there in time then it becomes a problem but as of right now it's not a huge problem.

I would bet if they had a stat that showed yardage gained after broken tackles the Bills would be near the best at allowing the least yardage after broken tackles

Edited by matter2003

13 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Its been an issue to some degree but since we rally to the ball so well many times those missed tackles result in the ballcarrier having to slow down or make extra moves which allow the other defenders to get there and make the tackle which ends up not hurting them.

Now if the other defenders can't get there in time then it becomes a problem but as of right now it's not a huge problem.

I would bet if they had a stat that showed yardage gained after broken tackles the Bills would be near the best at allowing the least yardage after broken tackles

The Bills missed more tackles than all but 2 other teams in 2019; they had more than twice as many missed tackles as NE******

It’s definitely a problem.

As for YBC vs YAC, I don’t see any numbers on that. I can say, however, that a look back to games against Philly and Washington doesn’t support the theory posited in your last paragraph.

Edmunds made a ton of tackles, so it may be that the percentage of missed tackles isn't that high.  Definitely room for improvement though.   Milano, with fewer total tackles and more missed tackles is something that needs to get better.  As has been mentioned, the missed tackles by Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips despite limited playing time means their departure is "addition by subtraction" at least in that category, though Phillips was pretty disruptive in the pass rush.