The People vs Derek Chauvin==This Years Trial of the Century!

I figure this trial trial will be pretty big news when and if it goes that far. A lot of us like the legal stuff so this will be a good space for just that, not the protests. Here is the criminal complaint. 

https://www.wlwt.com/article/read-the-criminal-complaint-against-ex-minneapolis-police-officer-derek-chauvin/32714935#

And his his wife has left him. 

* The wife of the Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis police officer charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter in the death of George Floyd, has filed for divorce. According to her lawyer, Kellie Chauvin is distraught over Floyd's death. 

"She is devastated by Mr. Floyd's death and her utmost sympathy lies with his family, with his loved ones and with everyone who is grieving this tragedy," the Sekula Law Offices, PLLC said in a statement on behalf of Kellie Chauvin and her family. 

According to the statement, Kellie Chauvin has officially filed for divorce. 

===

From the star tribune 

Derek Chauvin, 44, was arrested late Friday morning and charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter four days after he pinned his knee on Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes Monday at the intersection of E. 38th Street and Chicago Avenue as the unarmed and handcuffed man told him he couldn’t breathe.

Chauvin is being held in the Ramsey County jail on $500,000 bail. The agency that led the investigation resulting in the charges, the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, late Friday explained why he wasn't jailed in the county where he was charged.

"The BCA communicated with the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, which was dealing with potential threats to their facilities at the time of the arrest," BCA spokeswoman Jill Oliveira told the Star Tribune. "They directed us to book him into the Ramsey County jail."

1590811410_16155021+1aelake053020.jpg?auto=compress&crop=faces&dpr=2&w=262.5

ANTHONY SOUFFLE, STAR TRIBUNE
Protesters walked down East Lake Street after beating back a team of state troopers firing tear gas at them during another night of demonstrations over the death of George Floyd.

He is the first white officer in Minnesota to be criminally prosecuted in the death of a black civilian. The maximum sentence for third-degree murder is 25 years; the maximum for second-degree manslaughter is 10 years.

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Should be a quick trial.

That I doubt. At least I don't think it starts quick.  There will be a lot of legal wrangling/motions IMO over venue and other jurisdictional issues with DOJ likely involved.  If the cop is smart he pleas but one probably won't be offered.  Wouldn't be surprised to see one of more of the other officers charged with something also.  

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hedge said:

"This Years Trial of the Century"

You couldn't even get out of the topic line without being an idiot.

To be fair, he must be in a state of ecstasy with all this hot liberal action.

George Floyd, fired officer Derek Chauvin worked at same Minneapolis nightclub

By Bernard Condon | Associated Press

A white Minneapolis police officer and the black man he's charged with killing both worked as security guards at the same Latin nightclub as recently as last year, but its former owner says she's not sure if they knew each other.

What she is certain of is how aggressive Officer Derek Chauvin became when the club hosted events that drew a mainly black clientele, responding to fights by taking out his mace and spraying the crowd, a tactic she told him was unjustified "overkill."

"He would mace everyone instead of apprehending the people who were fighting," said Maya Santamaria, former owner of El Nuevo Rodeo club in Minneapolis. "He would call backup. The next thing you would know, there would five or six squad cars."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/george-floyd-fired-officer-derek-chauvin-worked-at-same-minneapolis-nightclub

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hedge said:

"This Years Trial of the Century"

You couldn't even get out of the topic line without being an idiot.

Lol, you are the idiot, it’s a joke about media hype. But way over your head stupid. 

43 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Thank god those washing machines and dryers are easy to operate.   

Pos 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I doubt it goes to trial- unless he thinks he can beat the charge he will accept a plea deal to not be in general population. If he ends up in general population he knows he is dead within a week.

I was watching a show on the Menendez Brothers last night and the first jury was hung not on guilty/not guilty, but on manslaughter/murder. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what the trial comes down to. 

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I was watching a show on the Menendez Brothers last night and the first jury was hung not on guilty/not guilty, but on manslaughter/murder. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what the trial comes down to. 

What happened with being hung on charges? I assume the lesser one sticks. Please tell me that the trial does not have be retried at that point.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

What happened with being hung on charges? I assume the lesser one sticks. Please tell me that the trial does not have be retried at that point.

They actually had a retrial. The brothers in the first trial said they were emotionally and sexually abused and all the women jurors wanted manslaughter all the men murder. 

At at the second trial the judge didn't allow the defense to offer the abuse defense and jury found them guilty of murder 

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

What happens if the cause of death is proven to be something different than asphyxiation due to the knee on the neck?

IMO, They would still be in hot water because after he stopped breathing they didn't even try and revive him. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

What happens if the cause of death is proven to be something different than asphyxiation due to the knee on the neck?

...it is conceivable that perhaps, PERHAPS the action was a contributing factor but not the actual cause......maybe our TBD counselor Koko78 can weigh in, but I'm assuming the secondary manslaughter charge was brought for this very reason.....gives the jury options.....

29 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The answer to my question very well might be "doubt" happens. When "doubt" enters the picture, anything can happen. This case is far from over.

...ABSOLUTELY CORRECT....there is a ton of prosecutorial legwork ahead for the "other three"......the "knee video" is obvious and he's been arrested......we see inaction on the other three but we have no idea as to what their actions may have been leading up to "the knee".....and what about the diversity of the "other three"?...someone posted here that they are an Asian, African-American and a Latino....better diversity?.......why rush to charges leaving loopholes for them getting off?...hell, look at the jogger murder in Georgia.....the alleged "good samaritan" who videoed everything was charged TEN WEEKS LATER with murder ( was not a shooter) as well as attempt to unlawfully imprison....with these damn Appeals Courts throwing stuff out on minute technicalities, I'd prefer doing "their damn best to have something thought to be ironclad" first....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy