It's not just Allen under the microscope this year, so is Daboll

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So guaranteed on the first day of the league year to which the option applies (so year 5) rather than now when it becomes guaranteed when it is triggered in the offseason before year 4?

Correct

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I am aware of how the transition tag works, that is why I said it doesn’t make sense to use it when you can guarantee that 5th year for the same exact amount of money with no danger or matching. The franchise doesn’t make any sense in this scenario because by the time the situation arises for a 5th year, it will cost the team an extra $10M minimum to apply it. 

You can avoid all that mess by just applying the 5th year option, assuming Allen shows even incremental growth/the wheels don’t fall off. 

I know that the option would be a lot cheaper than the franchise tag in Allen’s case, but it has to be executed - and guaranteed - a full year before the tag would be applied.  I was running down options.  Basically just this: If Allen’s play this season doesn’t warrant picking up his 5th year option, then the Bills can let him play out his 4th season with tags as options if he improves enough in that season to warrant a longer term commitment.

I think we differ in how much improvement he needs to make to warrant either picking up his option after this season or applying a tag after next. I also don’t think a fifth season is in the cards for him without the Bills looking to commit to him long term.  In that case the possible use of a tag would just be a mechanism to ensure we could sign Allen long term. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yeah, but both are at fault here. Allen needs to fix some things but I don't think Daboll is necessarily putting him in the best position a lot of times. Running Gore to the side on 2 and 10 and ending up with 3rd and 9 doesn't really help anyone. Allen did turn the Ball over a lot in the NE game trying to play hero ball. That game was on him. I feel like he settled down a lot as the season went on. And that fumble that Allen had in the Philly game was a QB draw play. Which is another play that Daboll gets too happy with. Allen needs to work on touch and not trying to be the hero all the time but Daboll needs to put him in better situations.

Especially, with Diggs here now. He nees to air it out anf trust Allen. That Steelers Sunday night game last year had me ripping my hair out with the plays that Daboll was calling. We got a turnover and then run the ball 3 straight times. Two of them with Gore and then Settle for a FG. You can't do that

I agree. While Allen is still learning and developing as a pocket QB he needs the OC to stop putting the game solely on the QB's shoulders in some games. Work a balanced offense.

What I'd like to see is more running the ball with the running backs and less with the QB. More rushing TD's with the RB's too. They need to get that power run offense working in the red zone. Also, hoping that they get that deep passing scheme working this season. 

This years passing offense should be in the top 15 with Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox. In his six seasons as an NFL OC Daboll has never fielded an offense better than 23rd...

Here's hoping that changes for the better!  

• Like (+1) 1

It is the offseason and we are all locked inside so I will stoke the fire a bit....

Josh has gone 27 starts in the NFL since he entered the league, without a 300 yard game. There are only 4 players since 2000 who have started their career and gone longer to throw for 300. 

-Player Name (First 300 yard game)

- David Garrard (40th start)

- Alex Smith (36th start)

-Tyrod Taylor (29th start)

- Trent Edwards (33 starts and no 300 yard game)- No other player has been given so many starts (since 2000) without EVER having a 300 yard game in their career than Trent Edwards. He retired with 0.

I will just hide over here in my bunker while everybody yells at me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Mango said:

It is the offseason and we are all locked inside so I will stoke the fire a bit....

Josh has gone 27 starts in the NFL since he entered the league, without a 300 yard game. There are only 4 players since 2000 who have started their career and gone longer to throw for 300. 

-Player Name (First 300 yard game)

- David Garrard (40th start)

- Alex Smith (36th start)

-Tyrod Taylor (29th start)

- Trent Edwards (33 starts and no 300 yard game)- No other player has been given so many starts (since 2000) without EVER having a 300 yard game in their career than Trent Edwards. He retired with 0.

I will just hide over here in my bunker while everybody yells at me. 

I think the 300 yard passing stat is a meaningless football metric.  If we play our starters against the Jets Week 17, the Bills with 2nd year QB Josh Allen, finish the season with an 11-5 record.

The night we drafted Josh Allen, if someone had told you that the Bills would finish 11-5 in Allen’s second season, we all would have been ecstatic.

What difference does it make how many passing yards he had as long as the team is winning?

I think for the most part as of right now, it’s not who Josh Allen is, it’s who we think he will be. Some folks say that accuracy cannot be addressed and I think that’s true when arm strength is an issue and QBs can’t get the ball there cause they lack mustard but Josh Allen has enough juice to make even the hardest throw. It’s not just that though but Allen also has the determination of John Elway when it comes to putting his body on the line. That shows in his rushing TD totals, he had 9 last year and 8 the year before. He really reminds me of a slightly smaller but more athletic Rob Gronkowski out there. In goal line situations Josh Allen can kill ya with the option play. Fast enough to get to the pylon, big enough to run over a LB in the middle on a QB sneak. This sets up lots of easy TD throws to WRs on the goal line because defenders are caught in the middle when they have to decide whether or not they want to give up a rushing TD or a passing TD. I think if I had to make a QB comparison I’d say he’s a bigger John Elway with way more running ability and athleticism. He’s essentially Rob Gronkowski with Elway’s arm. Once again though, it’s not who he is, it’s who he will be.