What Base Offense Concepts do you Expect to See

Barring some late round gold, I think we know all of the starter and main contributor players that will comprise our skill positions. What do we think is going to be the main formations and concept that we are going to run?

I suspect a lot of 3WR, 1 TE and 1 RB and 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 WR sets. 

Diggs and Brown are versatile, but they are incredible field stretchers. Arguably that should limit defenses from too many 1 safety looks, which should open the middle of the field for Knox and Beasley, with run support from Motor and Moss.

I don't think that we will have an electrifying offense, but one that should be able to move the chains, which fits in well with the overall team concept of winning close ugly games.

• Like (+1) 1

So basically you’re saying 11 and 12 personnel looks which makes sense unless our TE’s grow tremendously to do 13 personnel.  You may be surprised with 22 personnel looks with both Moss and Motor on the field.

We’ll see based on what scheme Dabol and McD want to do in what situation.  I appreciate the post though.

Several differences will be there.

• with two fast WR, we can stretch the field and make DB's defend deeper. That will open up more room, less coverage and yardage for the slot and tight end.
  • With a bigger running back we have less need of gimmick  plays and QB runs in short yardage or goal line situations. Allen will live longer.
  • Moss is supposed to be a decent receiver. I hope we will see more pass plays to the running back. Singletary was about #44 in pass receiving and I refuse to believe that this low amount was just due to stupidity of the coaching staff.

http://postemaperformance.com/running-back-routes-and-passing-plays/   shows the basics of how a RB can be involved in the passing game.

Things that we used last year

• The screen pass is good when the DE's pin their ears back and rush, thereby leaving gaps in the defense. With Allen being mobile and scambling, they play a lot of stay-at-home containment and this makes screens ineffective.
  • The "flat" and "delay" (fake handoff or block and run to the outside for a pass at the line of scrimmage) was used a lot with Singletary.
  • the shovel pass is not that important in my opinion
  • the wing pass-  run off tackle and then run a bannana shaped curved run downfield, was used a bit.

Things that we didn't use much or effectively last year

• the "wheel" route that starts out as a flat/delay but then changes to a "go " route downfield.  You need a RB with some wheels to outrun the linebackers and some hands to track and catch the ball before the safties recover.  We didn't do this very much last year, so the defenses were not stretched to defend it and defended other things better.
  • The "slot" positioning of the RB.  Start the huddle and play with the RB in the backfield and then have him change to the slot position before the snap. You could wind up with a WR and a slot receiver on each end of the LOS.   You could wind up with a slow linebacker against a faster RB.  If they were dropping the DE to cover the short zone, he might be against a DE !... You want to  have the RB-slot hybrid guy run the full WR passing tree.  The RB and QB can use a hot read to change to a  short hitch or curl pattern to defeat an all out pass rush.   We did not do this last year and I hope that Moss can help out here.
  • Using the RB as a "surprise" split out wide receiver.  This is why I really wanted Swift or Edwards-Helaire in the 2020 draft and I wonder if the hybrid RB/WR is a coming thing in the NFL.

I hope we can expand the play book with the addition of Diggs and Moss.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Daboll of course is quite familiar with the success the Pats had with the 12 grouping when Hernandez and Gronk were there.  But I'm not sure about the 12 in Buffalo.

Generally speaking, the best offensive formation is the one that puts your best players on the field.   Personally, I'm not enamored with any of our TEs.  Except for short yardage situations, I don't really want to see more than one of them on the field on the same play.

Like every other NFL team, we'll run a lot of 11.  It'll be interesting to see how much 21 or 22 we run - Daboll might want both our young backs on the field at the same time.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

Hopefully they mix it up a lot. Particularly, I'd like to see Diggs line up at every spot, including in the slot and occasionally in the backfield. He needs to be used in as many ways as possible and needs to be fed the ball, just like OBJ was on the Giants.

5 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Barring some late round gold, I think we know all of the starter and main contributor players that will comprise our skill positions. What do we think is going to be the main formations and concept that we are going to run?

I suspect a lot of 3WR, 1 TE and 1 RB and 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 WR sets. 

Diggs and Brown are versatile, but they are incredible field stretchers. Arguably that should limit defenses from too many 1 safety looks, which should open the middle of the field for Knox and Beasley, with run support from Motor and Moss.

I don't think that we will have an electrifying offense, but one that should be able to move the chains, which fits in well with the overall team concept of winning close ugly games.

What would we need to make it electrifying?

10 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

What would we need to make it electrifying?

Honestly? I think Josh Allen taking a huge step and becoming a top 10 QB.

I really like Allen, and I am among the loudest to sing his praises when he does well and quick to defend him when he doesn't. But he is not, at this time, able to make receivers supremely better like some elite QBs can do.

Playing super high volume passing also runs counter to McDermott's own defensive tendancies. As the Chip Kelly experiment showed, you can score a lot of points with an explosive hurry up offense, but in return you are going to gas your defense. Ball control and a high red zone TD percentage give you points and balance.

I anticipate an 11 personnel Offense being our main set.

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Motor & Knox have to be on the field mostly as they’re our best chance to score every drive. Obvi, short yardage/goal line/victory play notwithstanding.