This Years Draft: Can a Team Gain An Advantage Digitally?

TroutDog

13 hours ago, Mango said:

The are Billion dollar organizationsz I assume they have at least 10-12 IT people on staff who will be constantly monitoring the servers. Remoting in is super easy anyways for the IT guys. Not to mention, I would put money on these being treated almost like a webinar. “Rooms” will already be set up. Invites sent out. Open your outlook calendar and click the links needed for each conference. All most likely handled by either team IT directors and/or the NFL. This isn’t Sue in accounting trying to see if she can skype the sales team at once to see if she can get an update on past due invoices. 

Most of these coaches and scouts are doing some work from home or on the road. They’ll need a VPN to get access to any film or material. Then there is probably a 75% chance that there is some multi factor authentification involved. This is most definitely the most “complicated” part of the entire thing, and it’s literally just typing in a number, or hitting confirm on an app on your phone. 

again, I don’t think it’s substantial but do you feel more comfortable putting beane in charge of organizing this process than a buddy nix type? 

preferred platforms, contingencies on how to structure discussions, etc..

not saying it’s catastrophic but someone comfortable in the setting will also probably have more mental bandwidth to make decisions than someone that feels uncomfortable.

in a league of parity, you might find some extra minor differentials dropping people in new settings.

Beane was on OBL today and said they will be using Zoom. Kind of what I was after at the outset as it is an inherently unsafe platform (again, per the CEO of Zoom). I’m not sure, but I think there’s a team in our division who has cheated before (cough, cough). ? 

Again, I get this is far fetched but for dead time it did pique my interest. 

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

If typically all in a room with a "big board" they are referring back and forth to, without any unusual "tech" why would they need more tech remotely, other than laptops, Zoom, desktops, big screen, or whatever?

Yup, Zoom...that’s the problem: very easy to hack. That’s my question. 

16 hours ago, Mango said:

The are Billion dollar organizationsz I assume they have at least 10-12 IT people on staff who will be constantly monitoring the servers. Remoting in is super easy anyways for the IT guys. Not to mention, I would put money on these being treated almost like a webinar. “Rooms” will already be set up. Invites sent out. Open your outlook calendar and click the links needed for each conference. All most likely handled by either team IT directors and/or the NFL. This isn’t Sue in accounting trying to see if she can skype the sales team at once to see if she can get an update on past due invoices. 

Most of these coaches and scouts are doing some work from home or on the road. They’ll need a VPN to get access to any film or material. Then there is probably a 75% chance that there is some multi factor authentification involved. This is most definitely the most “complicated” part of the entire thing, and it’s literally just typing in a number, or hitting confirm on an app on your phone. 

The NHL is as well and just a few teams carry the rest of the league. Not all owners are crazy billionaires...some snuck in so they can’t throw the same money around. 

34 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Beane was on OBL today and said they will be using Zoom. Kind of what I was after at the outset as it is an inherently unsafe platform (again, per the CEO of Zoom). I’m not sure, but I think there’s a team in our division who has cheated before (cough, cough). ? 

The NHL is as well and just a few teams carry the rest of the league. Not all owners are crazy billionaires...some snuck in so they can’t throw the same money around. 

Zoom is a stupid product with really great marketing. There is a reason they have a Zoom Government that is NOT AVAILABLE to corporate users. Because they only produce a single secure product and don't have the bandwith to do that at an enterprise level. Microsoft TEAMS seems to be doing an OK job with security. Vidyo does a great job with security and is one of the only HIPPA compliant products out there. 

This is not rocket surgery and people are expecting it to be oddly expensive to protect your data at an enterprise level. A company the size of United Health Group probably spends a couple million per year on securing their servers, telecommunications, etc. But they have some extra hoops due to HIPPA compliance as well. That might sound like a huge number, but they do $14B in revenue and have 300,000 employees. Each franchise needs what, 30-50 people with a secure connection on draft night? Most likely it is a user count license done through the NFL not each franchise. If they secured through the teeth, it will cost MAYBE $150k for the draft and that is total, for all 32 franchises to be on the same system, and they will all be licensed through the entire year. 

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Zoom is a stupid product with really great marketing. There is a reason they have a Zoom Government that is NOT AVAILABLE to corporate users. Because they only produce a single secure product and don't have the bandwith to do that at an enterprise level. Microsoft TEAMS seems to be doing an OK job with security. Vidyo does a great job with security and is one of the only HIPPA compliant products out there. 

This is not rocket surgery and people are expecting it to be oddly expensive to protect your data at an enterprise level. A company the size of United Health Group probably spends a couple million per year on securing their servers, telecommunications, etc. But they have some extra hoops due to HIPPA compliance as well. That might sound like a huge number, but they do $14B in revenue and have 300,000 employees. Each franchise needs what, 30-50 people with a secure connection on draft night? Most likely it is a user count license done through the NFL not each franchise. If they secured through the teeth, it will cost MAYBE $150k for the draft and that is total, for all 32 franchises to be on the same system, and they will all be licensed through the entire year. 

I appreciate the figures but they seem way off the mark to me having priced out digital security for companies in the defense industry. Like WAY off the mark. I’m no technofile but I know costs and these seem radically underestimated. 

Edited by TroutDog
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I appreciate the figures but they seem way off the mark to me having priced out digital security for a companies in the defense industry. Like WAY off the mark. I’m not technofile but I know costs and these seem radically underestimated. 

Yeah. I’m not adding any additional hardware and guesstimating based on basically a single use case/environment. On top of that assuming they run on NFL servers which should already outfitted properly. 

Those GOV contracts are huge. I actually used to work with RSA quite a bit on them. I’m just sort of rounding numbers from a few years ago from RSA’s Archer and I am actually doing a bunch of work replacing zoom for telehealth clients. There isn’t a need here to consistently update and communicate constantly changing sensitive information between 100’s or 1000’s employees on a minute by minute basis. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

FaceTime then.

This is easy

On 4/14/2020 at 6:07 PM, Blokestradamus said:

I thought this was going to be another Patriots paranoia thread, to be honest.

Shhhhh, Ernie Adams is listening! This is the distraction thread.  

• Haha (+1) 1