Former Bill Ryan Neufeld's wife pleads for help for him

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Most people don't realize that SS withholding ends at $110K. SS would be solvent if they raised the cap.

...they raise it every year....for 2020, it is $137,700.........it was $132,900 in 2019..............

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I think those who want to eliminate SS are extreme right wing ideologues, only a few in politics but more found in academia and among political commentators.

I think that a lot of younger people (I'm 70, so lots of people are 'younger') seem to believe that SS is irrelevant to their futures because they're convinced that it won't be there for them when they retire.   I've even gotten this kind of passive, defeatist view from people in their early fifties.  Because they believe this, they don't make it clear to politicians that raiding the SS trust fund is NOT acceptable to them.  The people who do hold current politicians accountable for keeping SS fiscally sound are older voters.   Older voters vote regularly, and politicians, knowing that, are wary of upsetting us.  Younger voters can't bother to vote regularly, and politicians act accordingly.

There is a lot of play in SS reform. 

Libertarians are the main component that want to get rid of it. Rand Paul and his gang.

Not all conservatives want it gone. Most simply want it to be effective... 

a./ simply targeting fraud and abuse...few talk about this. (especially for SS-I)

b./ Keeping SS, but getting rid of early claims and SS-I for disabilities (Even within this there is play for reform, like say no SS-I before age 50) This would save billions.

C./ switching SS to function more like a mutual fund/ stock. The government already has the "TSP" system for employees. This would reward folks who pay in, and not feed the coffers of the greedy government, who uses the money irresponsibly as a de facto tax. If it worked more like a mutual, the hard working folks who pay in, would see reward, as would business who employ people.

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The NFL pension plan is one of the dumbest things I've seen. The rich get richer. If you've made a certain amount from the NFL you shouldn't receive a pension. Leave that money for players that need it why does someone like Tom Brady need a 6 figure pension plan? 

I'm sure it's like this in all pro sports but it makes zero sense to pay the wealthiest athletes a larger pension.

Careful.  You might get called a communist.

• Haha (+1) 1

From SI article:

The new CBA also made significant changes to the disability benefits awarded to both active and former injured players. As a result of the new agreement, owners will decrease these players' guaranteed disability  salaries to only 20% of what they have been paid annually since the latest new agreement made in 2011. 

Jesus Henry.  The current players SOLD OUT the vets.  20% of the previous disability?  Joe DeLamiellure going apeshit somewhere.  Absolutely disgusting.  Marcia's thoughts?  "Well done De" [DeMaurice Smith].  What a bunch of losers.  Well done NFL and NFLPA, you should be so proud.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

From SI article:

The new CBA also made significant changes to the disability benefits awarded to both active and former injured players. As a result of the new agreement, owners will decrease these players' guaranteed disability  salaries to only 20% of what they have been paid annually since the latest new agreement made in 2011. 

Jesus Henry.  The current players SOLD OUT the vets.  20% of the previous disability?  Joe DeLamiellure going apeshit somewhere.  Absolutely disgusting.  Marcia's thoughts?  "Well done De" [DeMaurice Smith].  What a bunch of losers.  Well done NFL and NFLPA, you should be so proud.

It's pretty sickening really. All to save the owners 10 mil which is a drop in the NFL's bucket. Especially considering they targeted the disabled and not the general pension fund. Taking away 80% of their benefit in one fell swoop. Sickening level of selfishness by current players imo. Even more so when you consider how much more players make now compared to the past.

Edited by Turk71
  • Thank you (+1) 1