Kiper say good chance Losman would be #1 overall

Pete

The problem with Walker is that he's in the last year of his contract.  If he sucks, we get nothing.  If he's great, we lose him because we can't/won't afford him.

306513[/snapback]

Of course, if we don't trade Travis and he sits all this year, we lose him next year anyway for nothing.

Well, he can sit in uniform, can't he?

306527[/snapback]

There is zero advantage to Henry sitting out the season. There is zero chance of Henry sitting out. He can threaten to sit out but there is absolutely no way he will go through with it. And no one will take him seriously. What does it get him? He won't get paid. He won't gain ANY negotiating advantage (which is the reason players sit out). He will be looked at worse by everyone, especially his potential suitors for next year. Hi agent, however stupid he may be, will understand (or someone will tell him) that he will lose other clients for this move. There is simply no chance of Henry sitting out this year.

There is zero advantage to Henry sitting out the season. There is zero chance of Henry sitting out. He can threaten to sit out but there is absolutely no way he will go through with it. And no one will take him seriously. What does it get him? He won't get paid. He won't gain ANY negotiating advantage (which is the reason players sit out). He will be looked at worse by everyone, especially his potential suitors for next year. Hi agent, however stupid he may be, will understand (or someone will tell him) that he will lose other clients for this move. There is simply no chance of Henry sitting out this year.

306530[/snapback]

All I meant was that if we don't unload Henry before the season, he'll be a Buffalo Bill this year and will be relegated to spot duty behind McGahee assuming (knock knock) Willis stays healthy. Then, after not having gotten anything out of him in 2005, we'll lose him for nothing next offseason.

I agree there is no point in Travis sitting out this season. By the same token I think there is little point in TD's not trading him now, so long as he can get a decent draft pick or player out of the deal.

I'm calling Kiper's bluff on this one:

In last year's guide he rated JP at 8.8. In this year's guide he rates both Smith & Rodgers at 9.4. So, either he doesn't believe his rating system is any good, or he's just saying something that sounds fashionable. If he had these 2 at 8.4, I'd believe him.

I usually downgrade underclass QBs. So far I rate Smith #1, but I wouldn't risk a top 5 pick on Rodgers. Smith has it over Rodgers in smarts & size. Rather than take a QB in the 1st, I'd take Andrew Walter in the 2nd or Stefan LeFors in the 3rd or 4th. LeFors is only 2" shorter than Rodgers, but Rodgers will be gone at or near the top. If LeFors is given a fair shot, he'll be better than Rodgers. If you're a Frye guy, he can be taken late 1st or early 2nd instead of Rodgers. I just don't get why any team would take Rodgers-he'll be the most overdrafted player. He's no better than a late 1st rounder. Smith, Walter, LeFors & possibly Frye will be better NFL QBs than Rodgers. Maybe even Jason Campbell.

In last year's guide he rated JP at 8.8.  In this year's guide he rates both Smith & Rodgers at 9.4.  So, either he doesn't believe his rating system is any good, or he's just saying something that sounds fashionable.  If he had these 2 at 8.4, I'd believe him.

It's probably relative to the draft year. Last year was a strong draft year, this year is weak. Also Kiper has had a chance to see Losman as a pro.

In last year's guide he rated JP at 8.8.  In this year's guide he rates both Smith & Rodgers at 9.4.  So, either he doesn't believe his rating system is any good, or he's just saying something that sounds fashionable.  If he had these 2 at 8.4, I'd believe him. 

I usually downgrade underclass QBs.  So far I rate Smith #1, but I wouldn't risk a top 5 pick on Rodgers.  Smith has it over Rodgers in smarts & size.  Rather than take a QB in the 1st, I'd take Andrew Walter in the 2nd or Stefan LeFors in the 3rd or 4th.  LeFors is only 2" shorter than Rodgers, but Rodgers will be gone at or near the top.  If LeFors is given a fair shot, he'll be better than Rodgers.  If you're a Frye guy, he can be taken late 1st or early 2nd instead of Rodgers.  I just don't get why any team would take Rodgers-he'll be the most overdrafted player.  He's no better than a late 1st rounder.  Smith, Walter, LeFors & possibly Frye will be better NFL QBs than Rodgers.  Maybe even Jason Campbell.

306559[/snapback]

I haven't warmed to Lefors. I'm a poor judge of QB's - I like those linemen and linebackers - but the more I read about Frye the more I like. His playing for Akron tempers, of course. A poster mentioned Harvard's Fitzgerald, also. Interesting to me. I apppreciate your thoughts re qb prospects.

The problem with Walker is that he's in the last year of his contract.  If he sucks, we get nothing.  If he's great, we lose him because we can't/won't afford him.

Alternatively you give him a contract extention, but he'll probably want a big chunk of chnage for that, and we don't know how good he'll be.

Not sure I like that.

CW

306513[/snapback]

So is Travis :D

I haven't warmed to Lefors. I'm a poor judge of QB's - I like those linemen and linebackers - but the more I read about Frye the more I like.  His playing for Akron tempers, of course. A poster mentioned Harvard's Fitzgerald, also.  Interesting to me.  I apppreciate your thoughts re qb prospects.

306580[/snapback]

Fitzgerald is too far down on my list to rate as a player to look for. He's ok, but probably nothing better than a career backup. I rate Alex Smith as the best because he's so smart & smart QBs overcome most things. I like Andrew Walter, who is similar to Drew Bledsoe-we may be left not appreciating Bledsoe, but if you get a player who you think is going to have a similar career to him in the 2nd or 3rd round it would be tough to pass up. LeFors is only 6' but he's probably the most talented QB in the draft. Whether his size will not translate his talent to the NFL is the only question-he could be the steal of the draft-remember what people said about Flutie in 1998-if he'd have been given a chance earlier he could have been a star the NFL. Adrian McPherson is talented but ran into theft & gambling trouble in college. If he stays clean he could develop into someone special-he dominated in Arenaball last year. Free agent types Chad Friehauf & Lang Campbell have the best shot of becoming the next Matt Hasselbach-a guy who starts out on a practice squad & ends up a starter years later. L. Campbell might be too short at 6'1" to make it big :D . Biggest boom or bust is Jason Campbell-he might be great or he could bomb, I can't figure this guy out. Some people really think Charlie Frye is special, I view him as average in this group. He might end up a quality starter in the right situation or he could be just another Jay Fiedler type.

I think Dan Orlovsky, Chris Rix, Timmy Chang, Brock Berlin & Dustin Long will not last very long in the NFL if any of them even makes it to an opening day roster.

I'm done with my QB evaluations, but I've got a lot of reading to do this weekend & probably won't be posting much until I'm done with the draft analysis byTuesday or Wednesday.

I think Dan Orlovsky, Chris Rix, Timmy Chang, Brock Berlin & Dustin Long will not last very long in the NFL if any of them even makes it to an opening day roster. 

I'm done with my QB evaluations, but I've got a lot of reading to do this weekend & probably won't be posting much until I'm done with the draft analysis byTuesday or Wednesday.

306597[/snapback]

Agree about the others, but I think you're WAY wrong about Orlovsky. This from someone who watched games and quite a few practices. What you don't read about him in those draft guides is him working out on Sundays before the season esp. on footwork w/ cones and rope ladders in the FieldHouse and Memorial Stadium. He's more of a pocket-QB but unlike Drew he is aware of and can step up to avoid the rush.

Agree about the others, but I think you're WAY wrong about Orlovsky. This from someone who watched games and quite a few practices. What you don't read about him in those draft guides is him working out on Sundays before the season esp. on footwork w/ cones and rope ladders in the FieldHouse and Memorial Stadium. He's more of a pocket-QB but unlike Drew he is aware of and can step up to avoid the rush.

If LeFors is gone by the 5th, I'd take a flyer on Orlovsky.

If LeFors is gone by the 5th, I'd take a flyer on Orlovsky.

306817[/snapback]

They're saying 2nd or early 3rd for Orlovsky. He's got the size, strength and football smarts (kind of like JP in this regard---he went to college more to play and study football than learn about astrophysics), just that UConn isn't a behemoth football school yet. I'd be very surprised if he dropped to the 5th.

Fitzgerald is too far down on my list to rate as a player to look for.  He's ok, but probably nothing better than a career backup.  I rate Alex Smith as the best because he's so smart & smart QBs overcome most things.  I like Andrew Walter, who is similar to Drew Bledsoe-we may be left not appreciating Bledsoe, but if you get a player who you think is going to have a similar career to him in the 2nd or 3rd round it would be tough to pass up.  LeFors is only 6' but he's probably the most talented QB in the draft.  Whether his size will not translate his talent to the NFL is the only question-he could be the steal of the draft-remember what people said about Flutie in 1998-if he'd have been given a chance earlier he could have been a star the NFL. Adrian McPherson is talented but ran into theft & gambling trouble in college.  If he stays clean he could develop into someone special-he dominated in Arenaball last year.  Free agent types Chad Friehauf & Lang Campbell have the best shot of becoming the next Matt Hasselbach-a guy who starts out on a practice squad & ends up a starter years later.  L. Campbell might be too short at 6'1" to make it big :angry: .  Biggest boom or bust is Jason Campbell-he might be great or he could bomb, I can't figure this guy out.  Some people really think Charlie Frye is special, I view him as average in this group.  He might end up a quality starter in the right situation or he could be just another Jay Fiedler type. 

306597[/snapback]

promise?