Beane quotes on trading in the draft, board setup and he actually talked about WR busts in RD1

Reed83HOF

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/bills-gm-brandon-beane-falcons-gm-thomas-dimitroff-join-stf/id1227006689?i=1000463331888

Some great stuff in there on the draft by Beane

Starts just after 37:00 minutes. Will update with quotes  

Was asked about Mahomes where the had him ranked

- Laughed and jokingly said "QB 1 ,  but says they had Newton so didn't dig deep on QB. When he left they drafted C McCaffrey  and wishes he had him in Buffalo"

Similarities of J Allen and Cam

- "Both big, athletic, leaders. Physical  skills sets similar. But they are different. Josh can take physical hits like Cam". 

Spent money on oline and drafted Ford, brought in some WR and TE to help Josh, what else is next to help him?

- "Josh needed protection, running the ball is a QB best friend ,  if you aren't good up front it's hard to execute .  We want to continue to help up front. Not saying we've arrived there, we need to continue to add weapons. Singletary  came on this year but you always need multiple running backs. 

Receivers, tight ends, I like to call them touchdown makers, guys that can get the ball in their hands, to take the pressure off Josh, so he doesn't feel like he has to make every play himself, let me dump this little 6 yard hitch route, have the WR make the guy miss and take it 50"

Some people say potential  historical  WR class, your thoughts on depth?

- " You can tell already  now that everyone has declared  , this class coming into the Senior Bowl  is pretty talented. Senior bowl is great so you can focus on them, then at combine undeclassmen  show up .  WR is a fun position to go through this spring. "

You've been aggressive  to move up for guys, is that your MO as a GM? 

- " Definitely ,  I let the board tell me what decisions we need to make and if a guy is sticking out above everybody  else on the board and continues to fall, with Edwards ,  if we had not got josh, Edwards would have been the guy we took at 12. When he got to 14 Packers were on the clock, man we got to start calling  , Oakland wouldn't do it they had already traded down and wanted to pick at 15 , then we found Baltimore who was willing to do it. We felt the value was there. So when the value meets a big hole that you got, why not be aggressive ". 

Edited by DJB

On 2/18/2020 at 8:55 PM, ScottLaw said:

That’s a bad possibility.... you got a system problem when you can’t draft a talented and good WR because your system is too complex.

Gotta have the trenches built first, otherwise your offense has little chance to succeed. It is basically the first rule of building a successful team. No team fixes everything in one    off season, no matter how unrealistic and impatient members of the fan base might be. 
 This off season is that time for bolstering the offense in a substantial way, and maintaining/improving  the D.  As we all know we need to score more points via touchdowns, it is at present the first priority. 

Go Bills!!!

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Gotta have the trenches built first, otherwise your offense has little chance to succeed. It is basically the first rule of building a successful team. No team fixes everything in one    off season, no matter how unrealistic and impatient members of the fan base might be. 
 This off season is that time for bolstering the offense in a substantial way, and maintaining/improving  the D.  As we all know we need to score more points via touchdowns, it is at present the first priority. 

Go Bills!!!

Nah. Multiple teams have fixed almost everything and become championship contenders in a single offseason.

The Rams had Goff, who was horrendous as a rookie, so they hired McVay and added Whitworth, Blythe, Sullivan, Woods, Watkins, Kupp, Reynolds, Higbee, and Everett to their offense in a single offseason and became Super Bowl contenders.

The Bears more or less did the same in Nagy’s first year.

Yes, the OL is important, but it isn’t like they have to be a dominating group; they need to be competent. Add a boatload of excellent playmakers and you’ll keep opposing coaches awake at night.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Nah. Multiple teams have fixed almost everything and become championship contenders in a single offseason.

The Rams had Goff, who was horrendous as a rookie, so they hired McVay and added Whitworth, Blythe, Sullivan, Woods, Watkins, Kupp, Reynolds, Higbee, and Everett to their offense in a single offseason and became Super Bowl contenders.

Yes, the OL is important, but it isn’t like they have to be a dominating group; they need to be competent. Add a boatload of excellent playmakers and you’ll keep opposing coaches awake at night.

I can see what your saying, but we had virtually no O line or receivers the previous season, so you gotta do what you gotta do, the Rams shot their bolt already and are heavily cap restricted, and Chicago didn’t quite get there so to speak. I’m thinking Beane is thinking more long term success not one shot and then suffer through the steady decline as the Rams are going to do. Jmo of course. 

Go Bills!!!

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I can see what your saying, but we had virtually no O line or receivers the previous season, so you gotta do what you gotta do, the Rams shot their bolt already and are heavily cap restricted, and Chicago didn’t quite get there so to speak. I’m thinking Beane is thinking more long term success not one shot and then suffer through the steady decline as the Rams are going to do. Jmo of course. 

Go Bills!!!

No doubt. I do think Buffalo’s OL has what it needs for the upcoming season, though I admit I’m hugely in favor of putting Ford at LG; I’ve always been in the Ford-at-guard camp since before draft day. A line of Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Mongo-Nsekhe looks solid to me. Long is a capable interior backup, so snag a swing OT like George Fant, bring back Bates and Waddle and I think you’re basically there.

I really feel like 2 top targets added prior to the draft would be the big step this team needs. Don’t care how you get it done; just get a WR1 and another dynamic playmaker (RB/WR/TE—doesn’t matter) to fill needs. You’re definitely going to draft a WR early, and very likely adding a speed back too.

An influx like that can’t help but make the offense more dangerous.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Who's fault is it their Line and WR were absolutely awful the year prior? 

You must be awesome at parties...

seriously when was the last time you were upbeat about anything??

20 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Beane needs to start nailing his 1st round picks, period. Oliver still has a shot at being elite and Edmunds could be OK, but Allen remains a work in progress.

Yes he was so Josh Rosenesk last year

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Who's fault is it their Line and WR were absolutely awful the year prior? 

You mean on the rebiulding team?

20 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Beane needs to start nailing his 1st round picks, period. Oliver still has a shot at being elite and Edmunds could be OK, but Allen remains a work in progress.

So in your opinion having a pro bowler, a QB that improved substantially from year 1 to 2, and a DT that had 5 sacks playing in a rotation qualifies as being a GM that hasn’t nailed a 1st round pick yet?

Gotcha.

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Yes, and both of those teams pissed away tons of cap space and draft capital to be a contender. Now neither team is a contender, neither of them have a 1st round pick, and neither of them have more than $30 million in cap space. Is that really what you want for the Bills?

29 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Yes, and both of those teams pissed away tons of cap space and draft capital to be a contender. Now neither team is a contender, neither of them have a 1st round pick, and neither of them have more than $30 million in cap space. Is that really what you want for the Bills?

I have several thoughts here, but let’s start with the idea that being good is more important than having cap space...because sometimes I wonder if some fans don’t understand that (not you specifically).

Anyway, the cap and lack of first round picks have almost nothing to do with those 2 teams having down years; both saw their QBs have a setback more than anything else. The cap hasn’t really held them back at all.

And yes, both teams are contenders. The Rams are one season removed from a Super Bowl appearance; the Bears a year from a division title.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I have several thoughts here, but let’s start with the idea that being good is more important than having cap space...because sometimes I wonder if some fans don’t understand that (not you specifically).

Anyway, the cap and lack of first round picks have almost nothing to do with those 2 teams having down years; both saw their QBs have a setback more than anything else. The cap hasn’t really held them back at all.

And yes, both teams are contenders. The Rams are one season removed from a Super Bowl appearance; the Bears a year from a division title.

Rams are facing a big year.  Regarding the Rams, they have big $ contracts with Goff, Gurley, and Donaldson.  Plus they have to pay Ramsey soon.  They don't have a first rounder this year or next.  They have some cap space but not much flexibility and therefore, if I was a Rams fan, I would be concerned about sustainability.  Honestly, I wouldn't want Beane to follow some of what the Rams did.  I know they made the Super Bowl and I like that part but some of their moves, giving Gurley a big extension and trading two firsts for Ramsey, I think will limit their ability to infuse the team with young and cheap talent.  Beane, I hope, will push the right buttons.

Edited by DCbillsfan

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lame, cop out response. 

And yes, I am awesome at parties. 

You inability to see the picture in both small and large scale is unique shall we say. 

Go Bills!!!

19 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I have been banging this drum all offseason, Beane needs to swing his big stick and get one of the top WRs on their board (I hope they get  the WR board right) or go after Green ho can give a letter round guy some time to develop, we need explosive playmakers bad on offense. Our D was honestly good enough and could have carried us deep in the playoffs if we could score.