Western Students Paying Kenyans To Do Homework

/dev/null

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Homework has a poor correlation with learning in grade school. There is a big push to reduce it to a minimum if not eliminate it outright. 

The homework my son had in 2nd and 3rd grade was ridiculous.  Literally 2-3 hours/day.  I spoke to multiple parents whose children would cry every night.  Once I saw my son "hit the wall," I told him to stop and wrote a note on the homework for his teachers to read.

His 4th grade teacher made it clear that it was important to her for "kids to be kids," (and she wasn't even a parent) and gave minimal homework.  Her mantra was, "work hard in school, play hard at home."

Grades 5-8, he had a couple teachers who still gave quite a bit, but most did not.

Once he got to high school, the only homework he's had has been to study. 

How things have changed, this is the first I've heard of being able to outsource homework assignments...and to Kenya no less.

On a slightly different topic, apparently kids today know of Chinese websites where they can pay to have perfect fake IDs made with their photo on it.  The power of the internet...

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

The homework my son had in 2nd and 3rd grade was ridiculous.  Literally 2-3 hours/day.  I spoke to multiple parents whose children would cry every night.  Once I saw my son "hit the wall," I told him to stop and wrote a note on the homework for his teachers to read.

His 4th grade teacher made it clear that it was important to her for "kids to be kids," (and she wasn't even a parent) and gave minimal homework.  Her mantra was, "work hard in school, play hard at home."

Grades 5-8, he had a couple teachers who still gave quite a bit, but most did not.

Once he got to high school, the only homework he's had has been to study. 

Wow, 2nd & 3rd grade is ridiculous! Our son transferred to a charter school in 4th grade, and it was no big deal. In 5th grade he transferred to a public “school for the gifted”. (You have to be an A student, be above a 130 IQ on the silly test, and be recommended by teachers.) One school covered the whole county and they would bus you in. From anywhere in the county. A parent found where public schools must meet the needs of kids with “special needs”, and flipped it to provide for “gifted” kids. 

Homework shot up to unbelievable levels. The only thing positive that came out of it, as far as I could tell, was that we confirmed that he’s extremely hard working. Did that really teach him more? Probably not. Did it teach him to work hard and be efficient? Possibly. 

There’s a balance.  Kids shouldn’t spend 2-3 hours a night, but the ‘ban homework’ movement is nuts.

3 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

How things have changed, this is the first I've heard of being able to outsource homework assignments...and to Kenya no less.

On a slightly different topic, apparently kids today know of Chinese websites where they can pay to have perfect fake IDs made with their photo on it.  The power of the internet...

Eh, no surprise.  Just the high tech version of the ‘test file’ we had in college (literally kept in a file cabinet in the phone room).

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

There’s a balance.  Kids shouldn’t spend 2-3 hours a night, but the ‘ban homework’ movement is nuts.

Eh, no surprise.  Just the high tech version of the ‘test file’ we had in college (literally kept in a file cabinet in the phone room).

Ah, I forgot about those.  We had that too in the fraternity house.  Sometimes those were actually helpful.