Revisiting the 2019 Bills Draft. How do they rate?

Revisiting the 2019 Bills Draft. How do they rate?

Trying to stay on track. No need to keep crying about Mahomes, I guess some can't help themselves.

Without the use of hindsight, I am very happy with this draft. I decided to give grades to each player. There were a couple of players I didn't see enough of or didn't pay enough attention to and noted so.

• Round 1 • Pick 9 (9) • DT Ed Oliver. B :Took a while to adjust to a different position from college. Good rookie season.
  • Round 2 • Pick 6 (38) • T Cody Ford. B :Played vs. some really talented DEs and held up well for the most part. Good Rookie season.
  • Round 3 • Pick 11 (74) • RB Devin Singletary. B+ :He is better than I thought. Wasn't featured enough. Should take a step forward next year. 
  • Round 3 • Pick 33 (96) • TE Dawson Knox. B- :Wasn't featured as a pass catching TE in college, so it was a work in progress. Will be better next year. Working out in the off season with Josh will help.
  • Round 5 • Pick 9 (147) • LB Vosean Joseph. Incomplete. Hopefully he comes back healthy and adds solid depth.
  • Round 6 • Pick 8 (181) • S Jaquan Johnson. Incomplete. Didn't see/watch enough of him and I didn't watch the Jets 'scrimmage' at the end of the season.
  • Round 7 • Pick 11 (225) • DE Darryl Johnson Incomplete. Didn't see/watch enough of him to grade. Will have a better idea next year.
  • Round 7 • Pick 14 (228) • TE Tommy Sweeney  C+: I did like what I saw when he was in. Did well for a 7th round pick. He will be a better version of Lee Smith.
  • Like (+1) 3

I generally give linemen two years before making any assumptions on where they’re going to end up on the NFL talent spectrum. They’re usually so far behind the vets in technique and strength that it takes a NFL off-season to catch up.

Oliver’s career is going to depend on how good he gets at hand fighting and following keys. He’s a starting level talent now, but if his hand fighting improves that pass rush and splash plays will improve. 

IMO Ford isn’t strong enough and has technique issues because of it. He’s shown he can run the arc with DE’s, but can get owned by good DEs with inside counters and the speed and strength. He will have to get stronger and become a technician to stay at RT. We’ll find out McBeans decision on the G/RT debate this off-season. 

Singletary.... Hit, plain and simple. Kid can ball. Needs to improve ball security and pass pro, but I’m happy he fell to the 3rd. He’s a damned greased pig in the box. 

Knox has the physical talent to be a top TE in the league. He needs to improve his concentration and blocking to realize that talent. He’s the player I’m most hopeful about. If he makes a big improvement in either blocking or hands then the offense gets more dynamic instantly. If Knox makes big strides in both he will end up on a lot of breakout players lists next year

V Joseph intrigues me because of his physical talent. Hopefully they can clean up his play and gambling nature, because the kid is a freaking missile. We shall see. Can’t wait for camp.

Sweeney certainly doesn’t have Knox’s physical talent. He’ll never be a top TE because of that. However, he seems to have a knack for showing up. He finds holes in zones and works open when Allen scrambles. Like most young TEs that didn’t play at Iowa he needs to improve his blocking. 

The rest of these guys have more questions because they didn’t play a whole ton. I’m waiting to see in any really improve and jump out in camp. If I’m putting money down for a late round pick to jump out next year at SJF I’m putting that money on Darryl Johnson. It’s quite possible that he shows up in camp bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter. 

Overall I love this draft. I think it also provided us with some insight into how McBeane are going to improve talent while winning. A lot of the players they’ve drafted have exceptional physical talent, but were raw due to small schools and thus slide a bit. They seem to be looking at potential ceilings and work ethic/drive. I believe that’s something to key on as we look at draft prospects. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I just don't agree he was invisible. I can't tell you how wrong I think you are on this.

Agreed.  He played stout in the dirty areas and made his linemates look good by not allowing the QB to step up in the pocket.     

I'd like to see Ed get a little more latitude to use his quickness / freelance a bit more this year, however...     

Ford is a huge ? In my mind. He was just a rookie, but the OT position is too important to chance, so I'd like to see Beane continue to address our OL this offseason, but not by signing average O linemen. I want some real bests with a nasty streak up front! 

I really hope Oliver can have a breakout year in 2020. I suspect adding a little muscle mass might help him a lot. Also, he had his snaps reduced for a while and finished strong. I hope those weren't motivational issues holding him back.

Knox could be great if he could raise his catch % to something more respectable. He's great after the catch. I still want to see more of Sweeney.

Devin Singletary has a bright future ahead of him.

Vosean Joseph is the wildcard. As one draft pundit put it, he has amazing ability coupled with tunnel vision. If he can learn to see more and process more, he could be a real steal. Maybe he should talk to Motor about vision and awareness.

15 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Ford is a huge ? In my mind. He was just a rookie, but the OT position is too important to chance, so I'd like to see Beane continue to address our OL this offseason, but not by signing average O linemen. I want some real bests with a nasty streak up front! 

I really hope Oliver can have a breakout year in 2020. I suspect adding a little muscle mass might help him a lot. Also, he had his snaps reduced for a while and finished strong. I hope those weren't motivational issues holding him back.

Knox could be great if he could raise his catch % to something more respectable. He's great after the catch. I still want to see more of Sweeney.

Devin Singletary has a bright future ahead of him.

Vosean Joseph is the wildcard. As one draft pundit put it, he has amazing ability coupled with tunnel vision. If he can learn to see more and process more, he could be a real steal. Maybe he should talk to Motor about vision and awareness.

Obvs not draft related bit to your comment .

I'd like to see LaAdrian Waddle actually on the field.  Funny how he's almost forgotten because of the early injury.  

Plus the tweet from Yolo about the other Pats FA Lineman

On 1/27/2020 at 6:33 PM, machine gun kelly said:

Augie, hindsight is always easy, but we know we could have had Mahomes at 10 and not moved back for White.  Now I love White and believe he is the best CB in football, and I really believe in Allen, but even a blind man can see Mahomes is something amazing.  That’s why I’m really pulling for them this Sunday as well as Reid.  I have nothing against SF, but I typically when not the Patriots root for the AFC team, and always root for whoever is playing the Pats.  I was so pissed as Philly several years ago was in that game, ATL totally blew it, and Seattle should have won if they just would have Wilson roll out and either pitch to Lynch or take it in himself instead of that stupid call.

As far 19, I agree with the OP that first four have tons of promise.  That’s why we don’t need 9 picks in this draft as we are more talented, and if we bundled some of the 5’s and 6’s, We could definitely move up and probably get more sure fired winners.  I’d be fine with only 4-5 picks if they all workout.  

I usually at least make you buy me dinner. I'm not that easy

• Like (+1) 1