The 5 worst trades in Bills History?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all the trade talk going around with Henry and Clements I started trying to think about good and bad trades the Bills have made.  The two worst ones that I could think of were the trades for Johnson and Bledsoe.

I'm trying to recall some other really horrible trades.

305291[/snapback]

Hindsight is 20/20.

I thought both of those trades were great when we made them! :doh:

It took me longer to sour on the Bledsoe trade than the RJ trade.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I thought both of those trades  were great when we made them! :doh:

305343[/snapback]

Ironically it took me a shorter ammount of time to turn on Bledsoe than it did RJ.

I think the reason for it taking so long on RJ is that he was always hurt.

Ironically it took me a shorter ammount of time to turn on Bledsoe than it did RJ.

I think the reason for it taking so long on RJ is that he was always hurt.

305351[/snapback]

One thing is for sure, they were both masters of the sack!

Hindsight is 20/20.

I thought both of those trades  were great when we made them! :doh:

305343[/snapback]

RJ sure looked good when the trade took place. I was a bit surprised when it went through, but the team was searching for qb solutions at the time. Not to defend him, but I wonder if he was handled a bit differently, if there wasn't Flutie pecking away, it might have been different. I'll never criticize him for a lack of toughness - his judgement in taking unnecessary hits and not dumping the ball off bothered me though. Some coaching might have changed that. We'll never know.

That's a concern I have with JP based on his college scouting reports - the sacks and the appearant unwillingness in college ball to lose a down at the risk of field position. I don't buy in to the "bad" Tulane line theory - C-USA is not the best of conferences so it's easier for offensive players to pump up the stats, and rb Melwede Moore did quite well behind that line.

We'll see soon.

May 11, 1971 BILLS TRADE RON McDOLE TO REDSKINS

DE Ron McDole, a starter since 1963, was traded to the Washington Redskins for an undisclosed draft choice.

It was thought that McDole was washed up...instead he went on to play with Washington for 7 years.

305334[/snapback]

My theory on that is that when the trade is made, the guy really is washed up. But somehow, the change of scenery, new people, the wakeup call, and a guy starts to play lights out again.

My theory on that is that when the trade is made, the guy really is washed up. But somehow, the change of scenery, new people, the wakeup call, and a guy starts to play lights out again.

305423[/snapback]

Sadly, the collected history of the Bills doesn't depict them as one of the sharper knives in the drawer. :doh:

the bledsoe trade was certainly not one of the worst in bills' history. the trade brought instant credibility to a sagging franchise. bledsoe's eventual poor performance is not the criteria upon which that trade can be judged; it could be argued that his presence enticed FAs to consider the bills as a "serious" franchise, and it definitely energized the fan base. besides, the bills didn't even really lose the 1st rounder they traded, as donahoe turned a lame duck peerless price into a 1st rounder the next season.

BF, you're off base once again. seems to be a recurring theme.

the bledsoe trade was certainly not one of the worst in bills' history.  the trade brought instant credibility to a sagging franchise.  bledsoe's eventual poor performance is not the criteria upon which that trade can be judged; it could be argued that his presence enticed FAs to consider the bills as a "serious" franchise, and it definitely energized the fan base.  besides, the bills didn't even really lose the 1st rounder they traded, as donahoe turned a lame duck peerless price into a 1st rounder the next season.

BF, you're off base once again.  seems to be a recurring theme.

305468[/snapback]

I have agreed with your point in this post many times, however I am talking from strictly an on field angle here. On the field he was horrible for all but about 1/3 of the time he played here. Meanwhile New England was able to use our pick to grab Richard Seymour I believe who is quite the defensive tackle.

Meanwhile New England was able to use our pick to grab Richard Seymour I believe who is quite the defensive tackle.

305525[/snapback]

Once again, people making statements without actually basing them in facts. Because honestly, what fun are facts?

Please explain to me how the Patriots drafted Seymour with the first rounder from the Bledsoe trade, yet Seymore was drafted in 2001.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=...erbio&bio=11315

In reality, the Patriots drafted Ty Warren:

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=...erbio&bio=23696

While Warren's s been servicable, I'd hardly consider him great by any stretch of the imagination. The trade isn't as lopsided as you're making it out to be (if it's lopsided at all, and even if you ignore the Price for 1st rounder that DB got us; you don't think AVP could've given Price those gaudy numbers, do you?)

CW

With all the trade talk going around with Henry and Clements I started trying to think about good and bad trades the Bills have made.  The two worst ones that I could think of were the trades for Johnson and Bledsoe.

I'm trying to recall some other really horrible trades.

305291[/snapback]

I wasn't too happy about that whole AiO and The Dean for BF deal, personally... :doh:

Worst trade: Lamonica. Hands down.

Best trade: Sending OJ Simpson to San Francisco in 1978. The Juice was washed up at the time, but we managed to get SF's 1979 first-rounder for him. That turned out to be the #1 pick in the whole draft, which we used to select OSU's Tom Cousineau -- who promptly bolted for the CFL. But when he returned in 1983, we sent his rights to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for their first-rounder... which we used to select Jim Kelly. So the deal was basically a washed-up HOF running back for a young future HOF quarterback. Not a bad deal if you don't mind waiting eight years for the payoff (Kelly didn't come to Buffalo until 1986). :doh:

Not a bad deal if you don't mind waiting eight years for the payoff (Kelly didn't come to Buffalo until 1986).  :doh:

Nowadays everyone would be calling for the GMs head for making such a stupid trade. Nobody has the patience to wait 8 years.... Puts things in perspective though, doesn't it?

CW

What was so horrible about the Bledsoe trade?  He sold a ton of tickets, revived interest in a franchise that was going down the tubes.  He then took us back to the "average" from well below average, setting a ton of records along the way.

The old timers will have FAR WORSE trades than that one.

CW

305298[/snapback]

Wait, you said bledsoe... I thought this was the standard Flutie argument???

Worst trade:  Lamonica.  Hands down.

Best trade:  Sending OJ Simpson to San Francisco in 1978.  The Juice was washed up at the time, but we managed to get SF's 1979 first-rounder for him.  That turned out to be the #1 pick in the whole draft, which we used to select OSU's Tom Cousineau -- who promptly bolted for the CFL.  But when he returned in 1983, we sent his rights to the Cleveland Browns in exchange for their first-rounder... which we used to select Jim Kelly.  So the deal was basically a washed-up HOF running back for a young future HOF quarterback.  Not a bad deal if you don't mind waiting eight years for the payoff (Kelly didn't come to Buffalo until 1986).  :doh:

305581[/snapback]

Don't forget we also got San Francisco's 2nd round pick in 1980 which we used on Joe Cribbs, who had a few good seasons for the Bills before bolting for the USFL.

Once again, people making statements without actually basing them in facts.  Because honestly, what fun are facts?

Please explain to me how the Patriots drafted Seymour with the first rounder from the Bledsoe trade, yet Seymore was drafted in 2001.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=...erbio&bio=11315

In reality, the Patriots drafted Ty Warren:

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=...erbio&bio=23696

While Warren's s been servicable, I'd hardly consider him great by any stretch of the imagination.  The trade isn't as lopsided as you're making it out to be (if it's lopsided at all, and even if you ignore the Price for 1st rounder that DB got us; you don't think AVP could've given Price those gaudy numbers, do you?)

CW

305541[/snapback]

I didn't look it up because I could have SWORN that Seymour was their pick in that draft. My bad. Calm down killer.