Interesting stat on passing leaders

bigbuffs

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's simpler (and on topic) to just look at the last 5 years of top passing yards teams.  In no year were there less than 2 that made the playoffs.  Overall, the incidence was 13/25.  5 of the other 12 missed playoffs were accounted for by 2 teams (NO and TB).

So this year is the outlier. It means nothing.

I'm a late model Boomer.  I don't know what that knucklehead is talking about.

simpler, and meaningless. 

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Picking an outlier year to divine some meaning is foolish

Josh is also the lowest and only sub-200 YPG guy. 

A good team doesn’t have to throw 300 weekly, but it’s starting to be odd that it never happens, right?

17 hours ago, bigbuffs said:

The top 5 players in passing yards this season did not make the play-offs. Not sure what it means, but I thought it was very interesting. (I would argue that if Brees doesn't get injured, he would have been top 5 but he was injured.) 

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

simpler, and meaningless. 

It's the very topic of this thread.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Josh is also the lowest and only sub-200 YPG guy. 

A good team doesn’t have to throw 300 weekly, but it’s starting to be odd that it never happens, right?

an oddity is all, yes.

21 hours ago, MDH said:

Being efficient in the passing game is far more important than being prolific. 

This really got ignored, but it’s the correct answer.  Passing efficiency in meaningful situations is what matters.  Take garbage time out of the mix, add in a QB’s rushing ability, account for drops, etc. and you see a much stronger relationship between wins and a QB’s performance rating.  Metrics like QBR, DYAR and DVOA get ripped on a lot around here yet they do a much better job of rating QB performance than ones like passing yards and completion percentage.  Take a look.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And the worst offense in the playoff????  Buffalo.....  Next closest is GB (and then NE who was garbage since November), that had a much tougher schedule & did too struggle, yet somehow Rogers did have 4 300 yard passing games....  

How about 5 of the top 10 defensive teams didn't make the playoffs......  Or Three teams ranked in the 20's in defense did make the playoffs....  

Yes much has been written about Winston & we know others like Ryan & Stafford makes for easy fodder.....

Stop your crusade......

Take your own advice......