All time TD passing record probably will fall this week

Matt_In_NH

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They don't ignore it, it's just a separate stat

What other sport does that?  Calls the regular season stat holder "the all time career leader"?  Does MLB do it for HRs?  Pitcher wins?  Hockey Goals/points? serious question.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What other sport does that?  Calls the regular season stat holder "the all time career leader"?  Does MLB do it for HRs?  Pitcher wins?  Hockey Goals/points? serious question.

certain things ring more true for honouring than others

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

They all do.  The regular season is an even playing field when accumulating stats due to the same number of games they are scheduled for.  

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They all do.  The regular season is an even playing field when accumulating stats due to the same number of games they are scheduled for.  

they hand out MVPs from the regular season after a Steve Nash has flopped again in the playoffs

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

only sad thing is it isn't Marino's record getting broken.

when Favre broke his passing record, Dan whined on TV how Favre was just padding stats to get the record

as if anyone in the history of football came close to Dan for padding stats...  :D

Brady is quickly catching up.  I think the only reason he’s still playing is records.

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Seems strange--particularly for football.  Theoretically, there could be a player who racks up tons of TDs in the regular season and few  in the postseason---and still be crowned "career leader"...while being behind the actual all time all TD leader by 50, 60, 70+ TDs--a huge number.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because in the regular season, everyone plays the same amount of games.  

I think Tom Brady has played something like 4 additional seasons because of all his playoff appearances.

I think LeBron James is like 6 or 7 additional seasons because of his playoff runs in his career.

6 or 7 additional seasons? Just off the top of my head, if every time he made the playoffs he had 6 game series that include the NBA finals, that would be 24 games per playoff, and would imply at minimum 20 finals runs to get to that many 82 game NBA seasons in playoff games

Just looked, Brady has 2.5 additional seasons of football, Lebron has fewer than 3 additional seasons of playoffs

Edited by arcane

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

6 or 7 additional seasons? Just off the top of my head, if every time he made the playoffs he had 6 game series that include the NBA finals, that would be 24 games per playoff, and would imply at minimum 20 finals runs to get to that many 82 game NBA seasons in playoff games

Just looked, Brady has 2.5 additional seasons of football, Lebron has fewer than 3 additional seasons of playoffs

Tom Brady's all time playoff record is 30 and 10, for 40 combined games.

That's 2.5 additional seasons of football he's played in the post season.

Because of the way he plays, and manages to avoid contact,  I think it's more age and not mileage that has an impact on Brady's career. 

Regardless, 2.5 additional years of football is substantial, especially at his age.

Edited by Nextmanup

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

they hand out MVPs from the regular season after a Steve Nash has flopped again in the playoffs

I bet you won't say that to Steve Nash's face!

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Seems strange--particularly for football.  Theoretically, there could be a player who racks up tons of TDs in the regular season and few  in the postseason---and still be crowned "career leader"...while being behind the actual all time all TD leader by 50, 60, 70+ TDs--a huge number.

I actually think it's fair.  If player A has always played on a bad team and player B always played on a good team...he's going to have more games played if they play the same amount of years.  This is why they split them....not everyone makes the playoffs consistently or at all.  

42 minutes ago, arcane said:

I was just taking a shot in the dark.  Lebron went to something like 8 finals in a row and Brady has made the playoffs every year but 1 in his career I believe.

Thanks for clarifying.  

• Like (+1) 1