Kavanaugh signals a rebirth of the non-delegation doctrine

This is massive.

17-8830_5hdk.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2WSxdOXxMZFj

I write separately because JUSTICE GORSUCH’s scholarly analysis of the Constitution’s non-delegation doctrine in his

Gundy dissent may warrant further consideration in future cases.

JUSTICE GORSUCH’s opinion built on views expressed by then-Justice Rehnquist some 40 years ago in Industrial Union Dept., AFL–CIO v. American Petroleum Institute 

Like Justice Rehnquist’s opinion 40 years ago, JUSTICE GORSUCH’s thoughtful Gundy opinion raised important points that may warrant further consideration in future cases.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

This is massive.

This may some day be massive.

Though I agree with the sentiment that the legislature should actually do their job, with the collection of goofballs on display in Congress over these past several years it will likely turn out to be a massive letdown.  As it is, Congress can’t seem to do more than one thing at a time (and certainly can’t do it well). 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, snafu said:

This may some day be massive.

Yeah. As a practical matter, a stroke of SCOTUS pens that wipe out all administrative law would be a nightmare. 

BREXIT * 1000000000000000000000

Edited by John Adams

9 minutes ago, John Adams said:

Yeah. As a practical matter, a stroke of SCOTUS pens that wipe out all administrative law would be a nightmare. 

I don't think - I hope not, at least - that such a decision could realistically be applied retroactively.  

I mean, technically the Constitutional provision against ex post facto laws applies to Congress, but I would hope the principle is more generally recognized such that it wouldn't apply to striking down the Delegation Doctrine.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

I don't think - I hope not, at least - that such a decision could realistically be applied retroactively.  

I mean, technically the Constitutional provision against ex post facto laws applies to Congress, but I would hope the principle is more generally recognized such that it wouldn't apply to striking down the Delegation Doctrine.

It would certainly force Congress out of its current power advocacy role, and drive them back into legislating, which would create Congressional turnover, and end the elite fiefdom model they currently operate under.

Short term pain, long term structural health.

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It would certainly force Congress out of its current power advocacy role, and drive them back into legislating, which would create Congressional turnover, and end the elite fiefdom model they currently operate under.

This I agree with.

2 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

That's more than short term pain. It's short term stupidity. Tom's is a more practical approach but the Court would still be doing some cute backbends to make it only apply going forward. Good luck with those mental gymnastics. 

18 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

image.png.b2b3c3100b924a4fa90c36467d38f9b6.png

34 minutes ago, John Adams said:

Could happen this way.

Not likely.

15 minutes ago, John Adams said:

That's more than short term pain. It's short term stupidity. Tom's is a more practical approach but the Court would still be doing some cute backbends to make it only apply going forward. Good luck with those mental gymnastics. 

Or, Congress can pretty much pass a bunch of laws that iterate what the Executive has done for the short term, and then make adjustments going forward.  It really isn't such a huge deal in the short term if handled properly -- which I don't trust anyone to do.

9 hours ago, DC Tom said:

This is an interesting conundrum because constitutional rulings do apply retroactively.

For example, if a state abolishes a criminal statute, those convicted under that statute do not have their convictions overturned because that was the law when they violated it. However, if the statute is ruled unconstitutional all convictions under it are overturned.

I would think Congress could act quickly to ratify the regulations currently in place, which would have the effect of what you're suggesting.

• Like (+1) 1