Postgame thread: Week 11 Bills defeat Dolphins!

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Hap - I am no expert, but I believe that JA is simply much more comfortable at this point and time reading the outside receivers and coverages than he is reading the inside option routes.  

I just watch JA presnap on both game and “coaches film” and he seems much more comfortable with the reads and coverages he is going to get.  I think that sometimes right now is causing him to miss Beasley even when he beats his man because that is a very easy area of the field to get a major mistake.

I believe this is something that will get better - he is already using it more this year than last year with both Beasley and the TEs, but I believe this is the hardest part about trusting what you see and he is just not there yet.

We see JA throw more to Williams, McKenzie, and even Foster and Jones to limited degrees as they line up outside - than he does to Beasley in the slot.  Long term I think it will become a better part of the offense - I just think it took years for Brady to be comfortable reading and understanding the concepts and getting his receivers to see things exactly the same way.  I am not surprised it might take Josh a bit over 10 weeks to get there.

...just stop with THAT......you are in the upper echelon of the most knowledgeable posters here IMO.....and I'm 138% on board with your JA assessments...nicely done....:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Josh has acknowledged one aspect of this.  He has said that he's still making an adjustment between college and the pros and learning to throw with anticipation.  Credits seeing Barkley every week with helping him learn to adjust. 

The other aspect which I haven't heard him acknowledge but it's there, is processing speed.  It's engraining pattern recognition so that it operates at a sub-conscious level.   Translating from psycho babble into English, what it means is that in any skill that involves what the military calls an OODA loop (observe-orient-decision-action), what you see needs to get matched to a pattern.  Then you decide what that pattern means, and act.  When you're learning, conscious thought is involved.  What is the coverage?  Where is the safety?  Who will be open?  THROW. 

When you've been at it a while, it becomes engrained.  All the interpretation takes place at a sub-conscious level and it's See-REACT.  That's why Romo (before they tamed him down as an announcer) could just glimpse two teams lined up and BAM announce what the play should be.  He wasn't consciously processing the way the D was lined up and who moved when a WR went in motion, it was all engrained pattern recognition and interpretation taking place at the sub-conscious level.

Someone posted an article a bit ago about the development of young QBs that was pretty good.  You can try to short-circuit the learning as McVay did with Goff, but in some ways that just defers it or draws it out and it can be defeated by just waiting for 15 seconds then having the D reorient.   (If part of having Daboll go up to the booth is to give Josh his first read, that might be a mistake.)  You can try to design plays to simplify the number of decisions to be made.  But in the bottom line, developing that ability to read the D and react at game speed is something that just takes time, and either young QB eventually "get it" to the point where it's sub-conscious, or they don't. 

We don't know yet for Josh, but it's one reason he's taking more time right now, and it's actually a Good Thing, because it means he's trying to slow down and internalize the correct pattern recognition from different NFL defensive sets, instead of moving forward with the quick reaction that may be wrong.

I love this assessment and it is why I am happy what we are seeing for progress.  I do not believe the Bills are over dumbing the playbook down and I do not believe they are by passing the learning phase.  

Overall it may take longer, but you end up with a better QB long term.  I think Goff (and Kyler Murray to an extent) were given “cheats” by the HC that allowed them early on to know what to do without recognition.  Once teams begin to move and prevent that - they are struggling more than someone that has had to learn it on their own. 

• Like (+1) 1