Jerry Hughes - $14 Mil - Why

Socal-805

12 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Invisible...not as much as this season.  He was also making 1/2 what he is making this year.

I understand we had money to spend.  I understand it would have been hard to find someone who is better via FA.  But I also understand that he is in no way shape or form a $14M player in my opinion.  Hopefully when it's back down to around $7.5M next year it will be an easier pill to swallow (if we even retain him).

If they held firm at signing him at $7.5m then his agent would have told him he'd get more on the open market and he'd likely be gone.  It's also lower than he was making on the previous contract.  Again, he's graded pretty high on the video analysis that examines his play more holistically.  

14 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

I just looked at SPOTRAC for Hughes contract: $14 MIL this year?  I am reading this correctly?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jerry-hughes-6540/

WHY are the Bills paying Jerry Hughes $14 mil this year?!?  He's basically invisible that I can tell.

• 1. Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald: $22.5 million
  • 2. Cowboys defensive lineman Demarcus Lawrence: $21 million
  • 3. Chiefs defensive lineman Frank Clark: $20.8 million
  • 4. Lions defensive lineman Trey Flowers: $18 million
  • 5. Saints defensive lineman Cameron Jordan: $17.5 million  
  • 6. 49ers defensive lineman Dee Ford: $17 million 
  • 7. Browns defensive lineman Olivier Vernon: $17 million    
  • 8. Eagles defensive lineman Fletcher Cox: $17 million
  • 9. Falcons defensive lineman Grady Jarrett: $17 million
  • 10. Texans defensive lineman J.J. Watt: $16.7 million

He may be the most overpaid D lineman in the league?

Because that is the amount both sides agreed to 

15 hours ago, Socal-805 said:

I just looked at SPOTRAC for Hughes contract: $14 MIL this year?  I am reading this correctly?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/jerry-hughes-6540/

WHY are the Bills paying Jerry Hughes $14 mil this year?!?  He's basically invisible that I can tell.

• 1. Rams defensive lineman Aaron Donald: $22.5 million
  • 2. Cowboys defensive lineman Demarcus Lawrence: $21 million
  • 3. Chiefs defensive lineman Frank Clark: $20.8 million
  • 4. Lions defensive lineman Trey Flowers: $18 million
  • 5. Saints defensive lineman Cameron Jordan: $17.5 million  
  • 6. 49ers defensive lineman Dee Ford: $17 million 
  • 7. Browns defensive lineman Olivier Vernon: $17 million    
  • 8. Eagles defensive lineman Fletcher Cox: $17 million
  • 9. Falcons defensive lineman Grady Jarrett: $17 million
  • 10. Texans defensive lineman J.J. Watt: $16.7 million

He may be the most overpaid D lineman in the league?

Careful, you are about to be attacked by the rose colored glasses fans. You are not allowed to say anything bad about Hughes. However I agree, probably  most overrated player on Bills besides Edmunds. 

15 hours ago, cage said:

I had to say this on the Ed Oliver thread, but will have to repeat on this one.  Please subscribe to The Athletic before complaining about a player and then go check out the All-22 video analysis after each game.  JoeB does a game analysis and then has cumulative grades across all the games.  Jerry Hughes is the #3 ranked player on the team (offense and defense) in this analysis.  Higher than Milano, Poyer, Hyde or Edmunds.  He's 0.01 points behind Tre'Davious White in the grading system.  In this analysis JoeB looks at every play and grades every player on each play.  I think that analysis deserves more weight than our fly-by thoughts from watching on TV or in-person.

Joe B! That's so cute and hilarious. Guy is a hack that does not know his ass from a hole in the ground. 

• Haha (+1) 1