Biggest problem for this team... adjustments

cgg716

I've seen people on here since the loss, blame it on many things, notably Allen and Mcd, but very few have actually pinpointed the source in my estimation, adjustments. Our coaches play their system and their system is never affected by what the other team does well or what its weakness is, or in some cases what our own players are good at.

Offense- I actually think all things considered Allen did okay yesterday. The real question is why against a team that can't cover a nose bleed or we in short bunches and not spreading the field? Allen tends to thrive in those scenarios but they're not Dabolls system he didn't scheme to the opponent he never does.

Defense- largely the same critique. I don't blame them for coming out at the start with the usual scheme as it's usually effective.  But Miami left the blueprint beat the front four and there's nothing else to beat because everyone, is in an assignment scheme. Even an ordinary fan like me knew, they needed to blitz to cover run gaps, and trust the secondary in man. And the adjustment never came. Teams with good OLs will push us around. It just blows my mind how the coaches either can't react to what's happening on the field or  are just so set in their systems they can't get out of the them when needed 

I disagree with your defensive assessment. The game was essentially tied at the half and but for yet another Allen turnover the Bills would’ve been leading. The second half got away from them with a single long run on the opening ‘drive’, something they haven’t given up this year in their bend but don’t break style. One play, one busted assignment before they got their halftime legs under them. The fourth quarter turned because the OFFENSE couldn’t stay on the field. The defense just got pooped!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

I've seen people on here since the loss, blame it on many things, notably Allen and Mcd, but very few have actually pinpointed the source in my estimation, adjustments. Our coaches play their system and their system is never affected by what the other team does well or what its weakness is, or in some cases what our own players are good at.

Offense- I actually think all things considered Allen did okay yesterday. The real question is why against a team that can't cover a nose bleed or we in short bunches and not spreading the field? Allen tends to thrive in those scenarios but they're not Dabolls system he didn't scheme to the opponent he never does.

Defense- largely the same critique. I don't blame them for coming out at the start with the usual scheme as it's usually effective.  But Miami left the blueprint beat the front four and there's nothing else to beat because everyone, is in an assignment scheme. Even an ordinary fan like me knew, they needed to blitz to cover run gaps, and trust the secondary in man. And the adjustment never came. Teams with good OLs will push us around. It just blows my mind how the coaches either can't react to what's happening on the field or  are just so set in their systems they can't get out of the them when needed 

I agree and disagree.

I agree that really what won the game yesterday was Pederson's adjustments on O. They figured out how to burn us on the zone runs, and came out of halftime and killed us on it.

But I disagree to the extent that you suggest this is a systemic problem. I've been pretty pleased with how the Bills have adjusted in a lot of games this year, on both sides of the ball.  I think yesterday we just got "out-adjusted" and never was able to counter.  

11 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

maybe they made adjustments but they didn't work...sometimes you just get beat by a better team and playing lousy

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I agree and disagree.

I agree that really what won the game yesterday was Pederson's adjustments on O. They figured out how to burn us on the zone runs, and came out of halftime and killed us on it.

But I disagree to the extent that you suggest this is a systemic problem. I've been pretty pleased with how the Bills have adjusted in a lot of games this year, on both sides of the ball.  I think yesterday we just got "out-adjusted" and never was able to counter.  

I see what you're saying about other games, but its always felt last ditch to me. Cincinnati out adjusted us, let Allen off the leash he pulls it out. Miami takes a huge chunk of qtr 3, we get the turnover, open the offense again, very late, and pull it out 

1 minute ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

How do you adjust to an O line manhandling you? Also, was it just me or did it seem like there were a lot of dropped passes yesterday?

There were some drops. And you need to bring more than the front four. The big 3rd down scramble by Wentz where Edmonds got lost was the best example. It was a defense full of people worried about their assignment and not the ball

40 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I disagree with your defensive assessment. The game was essentially tied at the half and but for yet another Allen turnover the Bills would’ve been leading. The second half got away from them with a single long run on the opening ‘drive’, something they haven’t given up this year in their bend but don’t break style. One play, one busted assignment before they got their halftime legs under them. The fourth quarter turned because the OFFENSE couldn’t stay on the field. The defense just got pooped!

I brought up the O, and hated that playcalling.. but several key 3rd downs, getting to 3rds and giving them up isn't a fatigue issue