Have You Ever Been Fired From a Job?

Halloween Land

Hell yeah. Career Manager in industrial inspection. Just like a head coach, you’re a rock star when things are going great, out the door in lean times. I received nice severance packages -never fired for disciplinary actions, but they definitely “moved on”..

No regrets. I’ve seen all of the country and most of the world from these experiences.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Hell yeah. Career Manager in industrial inspection. Just like a head coach, you’re a rock star when things are going great, out the door in lean times. I received nice severance packages -never fired for disciplinary actions, but they definitely “moved on”..

No regrets. I’ve seen all of the country and most of the world from these experiences.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/11/2019 at 5:18 PM, WhoTom said:

I have a spine.

I've never worked for family.

I've never been fired.

In fairness, I've done things that could have gotten me fired - even got caught a couple of times - but the boss never pulled the trigger. One of those times was when I was openly critical of an assistant manager, and not particularly diplomatic about it. She told me to punch out and leave for the day, and then she reported the incident to the head manager. He and I had a talk, he realized I was justified in my criticism, he spoke to the assistant manager, and everything was good after that.

Not all bosses will fire you for having a spine. Some actually appreciate it - they see it as a sign of a good work ethic.

Yes.  I had a similar situation where I confronted the boss but was not fired.  It was pretty heated and we were almost nose touching nose like when Sergeant Carter was ripping Gomer Pyle with me being the Sarge.  

47 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Yes.  I had a similar situation where I confronted the boss but was not fired.  It was pretty heated and we were almost nose touching nose like when Sergeant Carter was ripping Gomer Pyle with me being the Sarge.  

Kinda like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTN8-DwKN9IuOvltT-ADHt

LoL... Don't think you can get much closer...

Got laid off in January of 2014 after eighteen years with the same company.

I saw it coming, but it was still a gigantic kick in the nuts.  I live in a small town.  Decent-paying jobs are not plentiful.  I was doing pretty well where I was.

For the year following the layoff, I made ends meet selling advertising for the local newspaper, then working as an Ops Manager for a company about 20 min., from my house.  My commute used to be less than 10 minutes each way.  The commute was fine, but I was still making at least $20K less/year than I used to.

Landed the job I currently have about 4 years ago.  Money-wise, I'm making more than I did at the job I was let go from.  But it's also an hour commute each way and I'm hardly doing something I love.  Still Ops Management, but the most challenging staff I've ever had.  I make the best of it.

That year of "making ends meet," pretty much destroyed me, financially.  But I got through it and slowly building everything back up.  I was very lucky to keep my house and everything else.

It was a horrible, life-altering experience that I wish on nobody.  I try not to be bitter, but deep down, I still am.

• Like (+1) 1

I got fired from a few jobs when I was a teenager.  But the best was when I worked for this one department store that went out of business a while ago at the Galleria.  I worked in the photography department.  Keep in mind most of the people in that department were some kind of professional photographers or at least free lanced for the news & just did this on the side.  Not sure why they hired me for this department since I had no idea about photography.  What made matters worst was about a month into my stint a photographer from Australia was in town for something & he needs some underwater camera since his broke.  He knew exactly what he wanted so I basically just got it off the shelve for him.  It was all dumb luck that I made the sale, but since we worked on commission & it was sizeable sale you could imagine the anger some of my fellow employees had for me since I got a good commission check that month.

Anyhow, about 6 months into my employment there, I still had no clue about cameras.  MY one friend asked me if I could see if he could get a job there.  I said I will talk to my manager.  So I asked my manager, "I got a buddie that is looking for a job, is there any openings."  My manager said "bring him in for an interview."  So my buddie went for the interview.  A few days later my manager calls me into the office & says "I got some good news & some bad news.  The good news is we decided to hire your buddie."  I said "that is great, what is the bad news?"  He said "to make room for him, I got to let you go."  

Yes I have, two weeks before Christmas, I was doing retail loan collections and repo work for a bank in Rochester, they were a local bank that sold themselves to HSBC iirc, then all the local branches and main office were closed down, brilliant move on their behalf.... their old main office remains empty to this day near to the corners of main st and state st. Across from the war memorial ice rink where the Rochester Americans play hockey. Oh the memories...

Edited by Don Otreply