Revisiting Beane's most subtly brilliant move as GM

cage

20 hours ago, cage said:

While there are other more high profile moves, I'd like make a shout out to an under-the-radar move that shows how good Beane really is.  The trade for Ryan Bates.  

I can't recall another example of a team trading and established NFL player for an UDFA rookie and scoring the win in that trade.  Eli Harold was an established NFL player.  Not a star, but certainly established and still young.  He wasn't going to make the team and as players like Darryl Johnson were stepping up.  Beane not only pulled off the trading of an asset that was going to be cut, but targeted a rookie who nobody else knew.  Bates demonstrates his value, makes the team, offers position flexibility and yesterday was a key part of our 4th quarter victory.

I don't know what Bates will eventually turn into, but it kind of reminds me of when Polian snagged Steve Tasker, a guy nobody knew at the time, as Houston tried to sneak him through waivers to bring back from IR.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/eagles/mc-spt-eagles-column-saturday-moore-20190915-5nsoc6ujfzfkdj3r5442vus56u-story.html

Would be awesome if he is the answer at RT, hope it happens.

20 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Zay has zero trade value if Beane gets anything back we need to build a statue next to Ralphs this year ;)

you were saying ...  :D

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

They may cut him

That's what I thought would happen.

But our GM pulls another something for nothing out of his hat :)

Time to build that bronze statue even if it is a 5th rnd 2 years away.

All I can say is wow was Mayock even awake ;) 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:40 AM, Sammyboy said:

I think revamping the entire scouting department isn’t recognized enough.

...he assembled a staff of 17+, principally NFL execs who held Director of Pro Player Personnel or VP of Personnel positions elsewhere....all on Pegula's nickel......I'd bet with McBeane's salary, it could be a $4 million dollar payroll...kudos to TP for letting this guy get what he needed with no expense spared.....

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

That's what I thought would happen.

But our GM pulls another something for nothing out of his hat :)

Time to build that bronze statue even if it is a 5th rnd 2 years away.

All I can say is wow was Mayock even awake ;) 

Ya'll start building that statue yet?  5th rounder for Zay and who cares if its in 2021!  Something is better than nothing.

Edited by Azucho98

2 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Ya'll start building that statue yet?  5th rounder for Zay and who cares if its in 2021!  Something is better than nothing.

I can't billieve it I thought he would be released this week.

Good for Beane and the organization.