Will offense operate better with Barkley next week?

GG

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

It was 3rd and 9....

Well then it’s on Barkley to maintain possession there. You can make a play on 4th and long or get a flag, even if the chances are low. Have to extend the game so the turnover is mostly on him. 

12 minutes ago, GG said:

Did you watch the replay?  There's no way any QB escapes the hit because the expectation is that Nsekhe or Yeldon at least slows down the blister.  Van Noy is on him as soon as he completes the drop back.

If there's blame, then you can fault the play design that called for a 5 step drop when NE has been dominating our OL for a few series.

Allen avoids that regularly.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Allen avoids that regularly.

Not on this past Sunday.

It's not like Barkley should have taken a sack on a first down.  It was 3rd and 10 and the play needed to be made.

It's disingenuous for you to highlight Barkley's mistakes, when the offense was in a better rhythm when he got in there, despite Pats* teeing off on him knowing that Bills had to pass in long down conversions. 

8 minutes ago, GG said:

Not on this past Sunday.

It's not like Barkley should have taken a sack on a first down.  It was 3rd and 10 and the play needed to be made.

It's disingenuous for you to highlight Barkley's mistakes, when the offense was in a better rhythm when he got in there, despite Pats* teeing off on him knowing that Bills had to pass in long down conversions. 

I’m not sure anyone didn’t see a night and day difference with the offense when Barkley replaced Allen on Sunday. 

11 minutes ago, GG said:

Not on this past Sunday.

The quote I said twice was originally in a specific direct response to a poster who said Barkley is not going to throw interceptions and fumble like Allen is, and I rightly pointed out that he did both of them in one quarter of play. Do you think that Matt Barkley or Josh Allen, given one last drive the length of the field with three minutes to go gives the Bills the best chance of scoring a TD to win the game? Allen had settled down greatly in the second half. He was 6-6 on the scoring drive. Yes he still threw the one bad INT that was not an INT but he was escaping tackles and making better decisions and completing passes on the run. Several of them.

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't know as if this is the right take. I think some, including me, think Barkley *at this moment in time* is probably better able than Allen to run the offense as it is envisioned on an X and O board with crispness, speed, and the requisite field awareness. However, I also think the presumption is that Allen, who is bright, should be able to do it just as well as he gains more experience , and he therefore needs to be on the field to get better and better at it. Secondly, the X and O board plan often becomes meaningless in the heat of battle, and Allen is better at making a play when things break down (as they inevitably do from time to time). So I guess my point is that for just this upcoming game against TN, it's an open question as to who is more likely to generate a W. Barkley is the better game manager at this point, but has a slew of physical limitations that'll prevent him from making plays when things break down. On the other hand, Allen is struggling right now and is basically a turnover machine (he's leading the league in INTs and has fumbled it 5 times). That said, if both are healthy, Allen should definitely be starting. He needs that in order for him to continue to progress. It's just unclear to me who is more likely to help the Bills win the game taking place in five days. 

My reservation with that is Barkley has seen this current offense, in a game, for 1 quarter.  Hard to say what he grasps or what he understands better than the kid who has been studying it, practicing it and running it to this point.  Obviously if he can't answer the bell Sunday, Barkley does.  But if both are healthy, they really have to play their starter.

50 minutes ago, GG said:

Did you watch the replay?  There's no way any QB escapes the hit because the expectation is that Nsekhe or Yeldon at least slows down the blister.  Van Noy is on him as soon as he completes the drop back.

If there's blame, then you can fault the play design that called for a 5 step drop when NE has been dominating our OL for a few series.

Josh gets away from Van Noy on that play...

• Like (+1) 1