OK - why the h#ll do we not have a new punter?!?

Bockeye

Apparently they tried for one but on his way he changed his mind and went to the Vikings. Then they brought in 3-4 punters for tryouts this week and didn't sign them. The position seems to be something they are looking at but don't feel the available options are better. There's also the greatest punter ever available (seems like it by how he is talked about here) that the Patriots cut that's also been on the market for a while that no one has signed yet.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Very simple answer: They are waiting a week so if they bring in a veteran they don't have to guarantee his salary.  In the meantime, Bojorquez has one week to change their minds.  I hope he never has to punt this week and no wisecracks that it will be because of turnovers.  

Yep, there playing the odds and hoping he doesn’t cost them a game. 

There is a big difference from punting inside your own 20 versus punting near midfield.  I'd need to see the advance metrics for NFL punters and I doubt they exist.  The goal in those situations is very different.  Trying to flip the field vs. avoiding a touchback while trying to pin them near the goal line .  A shanked kick looks bad but they rarely get returned so they don't necessarily hurt as much as a long kick with poor hangtime down the middle of the field.

Also, I'd like to know about how good of an athlete they might be.  When disaster strikes can they make a tackle, retrieve a poor snap and get the punt off or run for a first down?  Do they have a variety of kick options for different weather or game situations?  Corey might have some upside that we have yet to see.  I hope so.

5 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I don't get the obsession GMs seem to have with avoiding guaranteed salary.  Say you avoid having to pay a punter $2M by doing this (a very high estimate).  Even if you lose just one game due to your crappy punter, was the cost avoidance worth it?

His shanks have been 25 yard punts. 

$2m is still a lot of money.....especially when your job is to smartly spend someone else’s loot.

11 hours ago, Bockeye said:

Seriously.  I’m asking the veterans and experts on here. Is there some conspiracy theories out there or what?

Does not make sense. 

Seriously,  you start a thread asking for immediate help understanding the Punting situation, then completely disappear?

Thats not how it’s done here.

• Thank you (+1) 1