Handwriting versus typing

MR8

I have a very old and strange habit of writing everything down. Thoughts can come at any time. Therefore, I always carry a notebook with me. I’m used to it from the time when gadgets weren't so powerful. Still don't like typing on a computer. When I need to write something of good quality, I use essay writing help. They are ready to write on any topic and listen to my wishes.

Edited by forestg
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/13/2019 at 4:35 PM, coloradobillsfan said:

I don't have time to look up sources, but there is considerable evidence that shows that hand writing notes commits the information to memory a lot better than typing

I used to teach ESL in college.  I told students.  Listen to it. Read it. Say it. Write it. Type it.  All use different paths in brain and multiple paths helps with memorization.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:59 PM, Gugny said:

I actually take great pride in my penmanship.  Always have.  I can always appreciate beautiful cursive.

Watching cursive die is truly sad to me.

Same here.  My penmanship is excellent.

Young co-worker  struggles to READ  cursive.

My one regret is that I never learned short hand from my mom.

Short hand is TRULY a dying communication form.

Edited by LewPort71

3 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Same here.  My penmanship is excellent.

Young co-worker  struggles to READ  cursive.

My one regret is that I never learned short hand from my mom.

Short hand is TRULY a dying communication form.

You might as well learn short hand in Latin! 

On 8/16/2019 at 2:26 PM, That's No Moon said:

Personally?  I think a kid needs to be able to print reasonably legibly and sign their name.  Reading, Math, Civics and Problem Solving (not just math) take big priority.  Reading and Math skills take priority because without those you can't access the other subjects even if you want to.  Civics because too many people don't understand how the country and world actually function and more knowledge of that will be better for everyone.

Problem solving as a skill because I see SO MANY kids that really struggle with this and it will hurt them as adults.  I have had some kids who have long histories of high achievement and super high expectations that really struggle to figure out how to do things on their own.  I have a constant battle with them and sometimes their parents when I give them a project to do and then don't tell them how to specifically do all of the steps to get it accomplished.  I want them to try to figure it out.  I want them to try and fail and then try again.  That is a BIG hurdle for some of them but IMO that's one of the biggest things you can teach a kid to do and we don't reward that enough as a society.  We reward the kid that can regurgitate the textbook or get their parents to do half the work for them but punish the kid who tries to do something on their own, fails, but can explain to you why they failed and what they learned from the failure.  I do things that that in my classroom and I assure you it's extraordinarily hard to grade things like that without causing a crapstorm.  Every time I tell a class something like "Please do X, here is an example of one way to do it, here is one example of what you shouldn't do, I can give you suggestions but you have to ask me specific questions".  I know I'm going to have 45 emails the next morning from frustrated parents who tried to do the assignment for the kid to make sure they got the grade they wanted but couldn't do it either because there weren't 5 pages of step by step instructions. I do it anyway because by the end of the year they are better at doing it but Fall of every year is interesting to say the least.  Saying "I need help" and throwing up your hands doesn't fly in my class.  I'm not going to come to your desk and do it for you.  I need you to think about what you don't understand and ask me a question.  Even if it's just the directions, I need you to think about that and understand that that is the part you don't know and ask for clarification on that. You wouldn't be put on a project at work and then e-mail your boss and say "I don't know what to do" and expect that problem to be solved for you.  You would try to figure it out and if you really needed help you would ask a specific question about the specific parameter you were struggling with.  You'd probably consult with some co-workers before you got to the point of asking your boss too.  I'm sure some of you have employees who struggle with this and my wife has complained about it multiple times with her associates over the years. I have co-workers who struggle with it.  They can't function without a super specific curriculum that says what to do and when to do it.  I don't want that.  Show me where the goalposts are, I'll figure out how to get there each year based on the students I have.  There will be some trial and error involved every year because every class is different and I might need to do different types of stuff this year compared to last or in period 1 as opposed to period 4.  

This is a long conversation honestly.  I'm not the biggest fan of the way we do high school in this country either.  We jam too many kids into college prep programs and make it too difficult for kids that don't want to go that route.  There's nothing wrong with being a plumber or a carpenter and you can make a good living doing that and we have a need of skilled tradespeople that is going to increase as the current generation retires.  I think K-8 is the time for the solid basic skills for everyone then you can start to branch out from there.  I might even split high school into 9-10 and 11-12 where in 9-10 you pick a track and essentially get the basic requirements of that then choose a specialty for 11-12.  When you're done with 12 you either move to college with a really good foundation for your chosen pathway or you move into a trade with a good foundational knowledge of that.  Vo-tech works that way more or less (at least it does here) but there aren't nearly enough sports in Vo-tech schools for the number of kids that want them.  College track could move in that direction as well.  It does already to an extent wherein you can take AP classes, etc as an upperclassman but we could do a better job there also.

Long story short, I think teaching penmanship in school is a giant waste of time.  Learn to print, learn to sign your name.  If you want to learn more do it at home the way people learn calligraphy now.

Thank you. It ain't easy, and I agree that only so much can be taught in that short span and the best thing to teach is How to learn!

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

On 8/13/2019 at 2:06 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Penmanship and cursive used to be important when I was in elementary school.  My regular hand writing has evolved into a blend between print and cursive.

My kids are learning cursive in school.  And spelling.  And keyboarding.  I think it's great.

On 8/16/2019 at 2:26 PM, That's No Moon said:

This is a long conversation honestly.  I'm not the biggest fan of the way we do high school in this country either.  We jam too many kids into college prep programs and make it too difficult for kids that don't want to go that route.  There's nothing wrong with being a plumber or a carpenter and you can make a good living doing that and we have a need of skilled tradespeople that is going to increase as the current generation retires.  I think K-8 is the time for the solid basic skills for everyone then you can start to branch out from there.  I might even split high school into 9-10 and 11-12 where in 9-10 you pick a track and essentially get the basic requirements of that then choose a specialty for 11-12.  When you're done with 12 you either move to college with a really good foundation for your chosen pathway or you move into a trade with a good foundational knowledge of that.  Vo-tech works that way more or less (at least it does here) but there aren't nearly enough sports in Vo-tech schools for the number of kids that want them.  College track could move in that direction as well.  It does already to an extent wherein you can take AP classes, etc as an upperclassman but we could do a better job there also.

That comes pretty close to the German system. School is compulsory until grade 9 or 10 (depending on the state). Then you can opt for continuing high school (up to grades 12 or 13), which prepares you for college, or to enter an apprenticeship that prepares you for a career in a trade as plumber, baker, or carpenter. You may also enter the work force directly. 30 - 50% of students decide to finish high school. However, not all of them will look for a place in college. Some white collar apprenticeship programs (some for very lucrative jobs , such as banker) expect you to finish high school.

Edited by DrW