Handwriting versus typing

MR8

Anyone else notice when they sit down to hand write a few notes, that they can type for hours without a problem, but 5 minutes into a note and your hand feels like it's about to fall off?

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

Anyone else notice when they sit down to hand write a few notes, that they can type for hours without a problem, but 5 minutes into a note and your hand feels like it's about to fall off?

You must be a youngster 

We wrote with pen and pencil  uphill both ways 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

And if you didn't write clearly the nuns would rap your knuckles with a ruler 

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s only a matter of time before hand writing is completely “obsolete.”  Not even joking.

Amen to that.    Its almost a think of the past 

Signatures will  =  X  again 

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s only a matter of time before hand writing is completely “obsolete.”  Not even joking.

I found this out when I went back to college. Students would type out papers on their lap tops during class, hit print and hand it in! No rough draft required!

6 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I have ADHD. Handwriting frustrates me because I already have the next three sentences thought out, but my hand writes too slow. I type a lot faster.

Well sloooow down.

And here we have it.  The day when this is actually something to be proud of.

Just busting your chops... But really?

1 hour ago, MR8 said:

My son prints (which is okay)... But starts from bottom up.  WTF is that!  Drives me wild every time I see it in action!  He's 21.  

/smh

I use a hybrid font.  Print/cursive.  Drafting in school... So developed my own font.

49 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I don't have time to look up sources, but there is considerable evidence that shows that hand writing notes commits the information to memory a lot better than typing

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

I don't have time to look up sources, but there is considerable evidence that shows that hand writing notes commits the information to memory a lot better than typing

I always studied by paraphrasing my notes in writing the night before.  Worked like a charm.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

They no longer teach penmenship or anything like that in schools... 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You must be a youngster 

We wrote with pen and pencil  uphill both ways 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I always studied by paraphrasing my notes in writing the night before.  Worked like a charm.

i would do that too.  i loved writing in the margins of books too.  in graduate school, they decided to put every text we needed on a dvd, and it was the absolute worst.  i just couldn't study off a screen.

6 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

HEARD. I'm not a lefty, but my work notebook is horrific and I'm the only one who knows what that crap says.

have you ever gone back to read your notes, and you have no idea what you wrote?  that was happening to me far too often.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I actually take great pride in my penmanship.  Always have.  I can always appreciate beautiful cursive.

Watching cursive die is truly sad to me.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I have ADHD. Handwriting frustrates me because I already have the next three sentences thought out, but my hand writes too slow. I type a lot faster.

i missed this.  i don't have adhd, but i have the exact same thing going on.  my hand just can't move fast enough to get the ideas out, so it's shockingly sloppy.  i'm also a fast talker for that same reason.  i have a few thoughts in my head that i'm always trying to get to.  it drives old people nuts.