santo padre

Pick on the Catholics time.

Of course it is. The last of the religions/naitonalities that can be "picked on" without fear. I guess all I need is to throw an "Italian" reference in there and we can all have a ball throwing jokes around.

Actually, I kind of like it...next time I want to run Chris Rock's "!@#$" bit or some other lame piece of tripe past you all, Ive got my precedent, right?

God Bless you all and God Bless John Paul the Great.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a great bit. "My religion is better because it has better parades." This will surely be included in the Hall of Fame, I'm just glad I was alive during this era to see this trolling classic.

296892[/snapback]

Don't forget the whole "Protestants are just jealous" line of reasoning.

Man, the way Catholicism is getting twisted into the end-all and be-all of religion - i.e. you're either Catholic, or your religious beliefs are based on being anti-Catholic - is vaguely reminiscent of the warped logical process that turned half-assed phrenological theory into the Nazi concept of Aryan superiority. Weird...

This was a great bit. "My religion is better because it has better parades." This will surely be included in the Hall of Fame, I'm just glad I was alive during this era to see this trolling classic.

296892[/snapback]

to me religous debates always sound like

my invisible friend can beat up your invisible friend!

Maybe you should reread the first post on this thread.  For the most part, people have been very understanding of the Roman catholics' feelings of the loss of JPII.  The first post of this thread came out of left field and the poster deserved the basting he received.

296802[/snapback]

1) I was a second baseman.

2) Basted? I was not even blanched!

3) Understanding? Why not some more .......

you want the kid to save the semen?

297002[/snapback]

I think his point was that once money as a settlement came to the forefront, there was a "piling on" of victims that came forward.

I'm not discounting the abuse, nor the suffereing endured by the true victims (I think most Roman Catholics can remember at least one priest that didn't seem right.)

Let's talk about the Boy Scouts shall we...that's nondenominational.....

296957[/snapback]

Its truly a shame that both wonderful instututions such as these have to be minimuized because of these situations and also tragic that those very same institutions did little to stop the problem in the first place.

Of course it is. The last of the religions/naitonalities that can be "picked on" without fear. I guess all I need is to throw an "Italian" reference in there and we can all have a ball throwing jokes around.

Actually, I kind of like it...next time I want to run Chris Rock's "!@#$" bit or some other lame piece of tripe past you all, Ive got my precedent, right?

God Bless you all and God Bless John Paul the Great.

296922[/snapback]

No one is picking on Catholics here. What we are objecting to is his ridiculous assertion that Protestantism has no grounds whatsoever.

Its truly a shame that both wonderful instututions such as these have to be minimuized because of these situations and also tragic that those very same institutions did little to stop the problem in the first place.

297124[/snapback]

One of the most intelligent posts I have seen so far in this thread.

No one is picking on Catholics here. What we are objecting to is his ridiculous assertion that Protestantism has no grounds whatsoever.

297136[/snapback]

Patently untrue. My contention is that Protestantism ranges from Catholicism without a Pope to total free form ( Unitarian-Universalists and Quakers)- but in all cases the pivot point is hinged to Catholicism. To oversimplify Methodism is an outgrowth of Anglicanism which M's felt was too Catholic ; Presbyterians believe that they best mirror what the original Christian Church was like. Neither would exist without The Church. Of course Protestantism has grounds. In fact it was a good and necessary movement in order for Catholicism to right its ship. That I view the world through a Catholic eye glass is second nature.

Consider mainline Protestantism (Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodists, Lutheran) is losing ground to Evangelicals. Catholicism, in the US, is in a holding pattern no doubt due to clueless and corrupt leaders such as Cardinall Law. Catholics it is my contention inveigh mightily against The Church and protest its lapses but when they do leave they leave to Evangelicanism which if Anglicanism is Catholic lite Evangelicanism is Catholic Heavy.

Patently untrue. My contention is that Protestantism ranges from Catholicism without a Pope to total free form ( Unitarian-Universalists and Quakers)- but in all cases the pivot point is hinged to Catholicism. To oversimplify Methodism is an outgrowth of Anglicanism which M's felt was too Catholic ; Presbyterians believe that they best mirror what the original Christian Church was like. Neither would exist without The Church. Of course Protestantism has grounds. In fact it was a good and necessary movement in order for Catholicism to right its ship. That I view the world through a Catholic eye glass is second nature.

Consider mainline Protestantism (Episcopal, Presbyterian, Methodists, Lutheran) is losing ground to Evangelicals. Catholicism, in the US, is in a holding pattern no doubt due to clueless and corrupt leaders such as Cardinall Law. Catholics it is my contention inveigh mightily against The Church and protest its lapses but when they do leave they leave to Evangelicanism which if Anglicanism is Catholic lite Evangelicanism is Catholic Heavy.

297206[/snapback]

Having grown up in an Evangelical household, I will say with some authority and great firmness that it's the FARTHEST thing from Catholicism. Independent congregations, scriptural-based teachings, free-form sermons, "born-again" status, etc...

Not to say that it's any better or more valid, as I think all religion is a crock, but, it's definitely NOT Catholic in nature.

Modern Evangelicals owe their roots to Anabaptists and Calvinists.