Anti-mask laws.

Should it be illegal to conceal your identity by hiding your face in public? Please explain your reasoning.   

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be illegal to conceal your identity by hiding your face in public? Please explain your reasoning.

• Yes, it should be illegal to hide your identity in public.
    • No, it should be legal to conceal your identity whenever or wherever you wish.

9 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Yes, with 3 caveats:

Carrying a weapon while masked should be prohibited, either openly or concealed

If convicted of a crime while masked should carry jail time in addition to the original offenses

Refusal to remove the mask at the request of law enforcement, the property owner, or security in the employ of the property owner should be classified as either a low felony or high misdemeanour requiring jail time

Definitely on board with you for the 2nd caveat but not for the 3rd; not sure about the 1st but leaning towards it. 

Unless law enforcement has some sort of probable cause they shouldn't be allowed to force someone to take off their mask. However, if they did / do, then not removing it could / should be a violation, but not a felony.

And, if on private property wearing a mask, the owner or his rep should be allowed to remove you for wearing a mask if there's a policy against it; but simply wearing a mask on somebody's property shouldn't by itself be punishable by jail time.

• Like (+1) 1

If it should be legal to be masked but illegal to carry a weapon while doing so, how do we make that determination unless we simply stop and frisk people wearing masks? Remember that there are quite a few places that have laws already in place that make concealing your face in public illegal. So do we go after people wearing masks because they might have a legal weapon on their person, or do we respect gun ownership and allow people to arm themselves in public while keeping their faces hidden?

Personally, I think that a lot fewer Klansmen and antifa would have the nerve to incite violence if the world could see them doing so.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

And, if on private property wearing a mask, the owner or his rep should be allowed to remove you for wearing a mask if there's a policy against it; but simply wearing a mask on somebody's property shouldn't by itself be punishable by jail time.

if somebody is on your private property you can ask them to leave.  if they refuse you can call the police on them for trespassing.  same with wearing a mask.  if you are wearing a mask on my property and i ask you to remove it, you have three options.  remove the mask, leave the property, or if you do neither i reserve the right to go gran torino on your ass

get-off-my-lawn.jpg&f=1

• Haha (+1) 1

Portland’s police chief calls for anti-mask law, different approach for violent protesters
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2019/07/portlands-police-chief-calls-for-anti-mask-laws-different-approach-for-violent-protesters.html
"She called for a law that would bar the wearing of masks by demonstrators in the commission of crimes.

“We cannot allow people to continue to use the guise of free speech to commit a crime,’’ Outlaw said. “A lot of people are emboldened because they know they can’t be identified.’’

About 15 states, and some counties and cities, have adopted some type of anti-mask law. Most ban the wearing of masks in a way that intimidates others. Opponents have argued that such restrictions deprive people of anonymity they seek to express their views or that it couldn’t be enforced simply for political protests versus other displays, such as for Halloween celebrations or parties."

Personally I don't like the fact that these antifa thugs hide behind masks and carry items that can be used as weapons.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:10 PM, Uncle Joe said:

Portland’s police chief calls for anti-mask law, different approach for violent protesters
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2019/07/portlands-police-chief-calls-for-anti-mask-laws-different-approach-for-violent-protesters.html
"She called for a law that would bar the wearing of masks by demonstrators in the commission of crimes.

“We cannot allow people to continue to use the guise of free speech to commit a crime,’’ Outlaw said. “A lot of people are emboldened because they know they can’t be identified.’’

About 15 states, and some counties and cities, have adopted some type of anti-mask law. Most ban the wearing of masks in a way that intimidates others. Opponents have argued that such restrictions deprive people of anonymity they seek to express their views or that it couldn’t be enforced simply for political protests versus other displays, such as for Halloween celebrations or parties."

Personally I don't like the fact that these antifa thugs hide behind masks and carry items that can be used as weapons.

Danielle Outlaw - what a name for a C.o.P.  :w00t:

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/5/2019 at 6:37 AM, Nanker said:

Danielle Outlaw - what a name for a C.o.P.  :w00t:

Portland has plenty of C.o.P. Outlaws:

Family ties keep Outlaw living in metro area
https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/12-sports/352221-221079-family-ties-keep-outlaw-living-in-metro-area

"There are two pieces of irony regarding the arrest.

One, his father is a former assistant chief of the Starkville Police Department.

Two, Travis is a legend in his hometown. Since his early years in the NBA, he has played host to an annual Travis Outlaw Day, an outdoor summer event featuring food, games and activities for youth. In 2013, the Starkville Parks Commission renamed a gymnasium at the Starkville Sportsplex in Outlaw's honor."

Edited by Uncle Joe

• 1 year later...
On 7/1/2019 at 11:51 PM, Azalin said:

I'm curious as to what all of you think. Many places in the US actually have anti-mask laws on the books, but I don't know if any are enforced. From what I've read, many (if not most) were enacted as a measure against the KKK hiding their identities; some were passed as a way to discourage anonymous acts of violence in union/management and tenant/landlord disputes.  More recently, we've had the 99 percenters with their V masks, and now antifa with their ski masks. All concealing their identities in public to avoid being identified as having engaged in violence upon others.

Would the violence drop dramatically, if at all, if nobody was allowed to hide their faces in public? Would denying citizens the ability to mask themselves in public be a violation of their constitutional liberties?