Mets Rebuild

Rocket94

As a long time Met fan I have seen it all through the years. Last week I attended the Mets and,Cubs game at Wrigley...that is the last game that they won correct? Alonso, Degrom, Wheeler, Conforto and Mcneil comprise a good young nucleus. Lets clean house and build around these guys...can we concede that this current formula is not working! Do the Mets ever know what they are doing? 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As you said the nucleus is solid.  A good rebuild wouldn't start with the players though.  Have the Wilpons sell the team and take Brodie with them.  Callaway- nice guy but he needs to ultimately go as well.  Then we're talking.  

I man can dream can't he 

• Like (+1) 1

My guess is Thor is still in the circle of trust and Wheeler will probably be moved in the next month.  I'd be fine if they signed Wheeler to a 3-4 year deal before he hits free agency, I just don't see that happening.

The first big problem with the rebuild is the boat anchor contract at second base. The second is the boat anchor contract riding horses on the DL.

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of chatter about trading Thor today.

For the life of me I'm not sure why you give up on him with two years of control left. Unless you know something.

Arm issues are one possibility, but Syndegaard was a Brodie client. Maybe Brodie knows that he'll never re-sign with the Mets for whatever reason.

15 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

A lot of chatter about trading Thor today.

For the life of me I'm not sure why you give up on him with two years of control left. Unless you know something.

Arm issues are one possibility, but Syndegaard was a Brodie client. Maybe Brodie knows that he'll never re-sign with the Mets for whatever reason.

If we gave up on Thor this early, and probably wouldn't get appropriate compensation for that arm. He'd probably turn into Nolan Ryan with our luck :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

If we gave up on Thor this early, and probably wouldn't get appropriate compensation for that arm. He'd probably turn into Nolan Ryan with our luck :lol:

One rumor making the rounds is a three way deal with the Padres getting Thor and the Mets getting Marcus Stroman. This makes no sense to me:

Thor/Stroman career stats:

Years of Control Left: 1/2

ERA: 3.21/3.76

WHIP: 1.158/1.278

Games Started: 106/129

IP: 645/789

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

One rumor making the rounds is a three way deal with the Padres getting Thor and the Mets getting Marcus Stroman. This makes no sense to me:

None what so ever. Unless, they're trying to make half of the rotation all Long Island boys. With Matz, Kay, and Stroman .

There is rumors floating around that the Jays would take Diaz In a trade then flip him for prospects from the Braves. 

I've been hearing rumors the team is open to trading Diaz.  Not against it.  

Is it beyond the realm to think maybe Wheeler or even Matz can be the closer?  Hear me out, do you remember Rick Aguilera at all?  He was pretty much the forgotten about starter on the 1986 Mets.  As it turns out he got traded to Minnesota and then became a dominant World Series winning closer for the Twins.  I'd make the case he probably had the most successful career of the 86' starters.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/29/2019 at 5:58 PM, Another Fan said:

As you said the nucleus is solid.  A good rebuild wouldn't start with the players though.  Have the Wilpons sell the team and take Brodie with them.  Callaway- nice guy but he needs to ultimately go as well.  Then we're talking.  

I man can dream can't he 

I have to agree. As long as the Wilpons (coupons) own the Mets we can expect their cheapness and yes men gm's that that they hire. The Cano/Diaz "Block buster" destroyed the team. As you know, Thor and Wheeler are potentially on the trade block. If they do trade them, leave it to the Mets to get ripped off or do something stupid.

Edited by Rocket94

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Now this is something dumb that we can expect from Jeff Wilpon and Brodie

Edited by Rocket94

3 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Is it beyond the realm to think maybe Wheeler or even Matz can be the closer?  Hear me out, do you remember Rick Aguilera at all?  He was pretty much the forgotten about starter on the 1986 Mets.  As it turns out he got traded to Minnesota and then became a dominant World Series winning closer for the Twins.  I'd make the case he probably had the most successful career of the 86' starters.  

Yes...I remember Rick Aguilera...one heck of a pitcher.

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Matz doesn't have the temperament to be a closer. I've seen too many times where something doesn't go his way and he folds like a cheap suit. With that said I was fortunate enough to be in attendance yesterday and what a performance by Matz.  And to cap it off we came home with Mr. Met On The Moon bobbleheads!

Wheeler is built to be a starting pitcher. If he can avoid more injuries I think he'll be a solid and once in awhile spectacular starter for the next few years, probably no more than 4 or 5.

9 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

None what so ever. Unless, they're trying to make half of the rotation all Long Island boys. With Matz, Kay, and Stroman .

There is rumors floating around that the Jays would take Diaz In a trade then flip him for prospects from the Braves. 

Didn't see that one coming. Brodie seems to have little regard for prospects in the Mets system who aren't major league ready.

@row_33: how should Mets fans feel about Stroman?

Edited by SinceThe70s

Well they did it...half the rotation is indeed Long Island boys. What does Stroman represent at this point? I suppose in a vacuum this is a good trade. The Mets didn't really give up too much. Now Thor is probably gone soon for prospects, or what is Brodie now saying...he wants major league players in return?

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Didn't see that one coming. Brodie seems to have little regard for prospects in the Mets system who aren't major league ready.

I thought it was just a usual rumor...but not surprised. I hope they get good prospects for Thor if he is gone. Kyle Tucker from the Astros would be good, or Minnesota has Royce Lewis and Kiriloff.

8 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

WDoeell they did it...half the rotation is indeed Long Island boys. What does Stroman represent at this point? I suppose in a vacuum this is a good trade. The Mets didn't really give up too much. Now Thor is probably gone soon for prospects, or what is Brodie now saying...he wants major league players in return?

I thought it was just a usual rumor...but not surprised. I hope they get good prospects for Thor if he is gone. Kyle Tucker from the Astros would be good, or Minnesota has Royce Lewis and Kiriloff.

Doesn't necessarily mean Thor is gone. With Kay out of the picture Wheeler might be the next guy voted off Mets Island.

11 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Doesn't necessarily mean Thor is gone. With Kay out of the picture Wheeler might be the next guy voted off Mets Island.

I hope not...they better get a haul if he is. In a way, the Mets have hijacked the starting pitching market. Now The value of Thor and Wheeler may have gone up!

22 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I hope not...they better get a haul if he is. In a way, the Mets have hijacked the starting pitching market. Now The value of Thor and Wheeler may have gone up!

True, but Brodie has eviscerated the farm system and brought in a win-now starter. If he's elevated Wheeler's value, great. Until I see what comes back, moving Thor still makes no sense to me. On the other hand, a top 4 of DeGrom/Thor/Stroman/Matz looks pretty good to me.

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

True, but Brodie has eviscerated the farm system and brought in a win-now starter. If he's elevated Wheeler's value, great. Until I see what comes back, moving Thor still makes no sense to me. On the other hand, a top 4 of DeGrom/Thor/Stroman/Matz looks pretty good to me.

I want Thor to stay. Yes, Brodie has decimated the farm system and he openly boasts that there will be no total rebuild. Next few days are going to be interesting.