Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

59 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was really impressed by their play against the Sabres. As you said, it looked like they just put it all together. They were passing circles around the Sabres at times (esp. in the 1st). As I said in my previous post, their skill at forward was on full display. Barrie/Rielly looked good too.

I didn’t even think the Sabres played that bad (besides the 1st period, anyway). Toronto was just the better team. 

What I found encouraging about this game and has been exhibited so far in this season is that this team under this coach is not a fragile team. It seemed that Toronto was toying with us in the first period. In the next two periods we played them even or outplayed them a bit. Some of that may have been due to the fact that they may have coasted a little with their lead. But this trait of playing to the end clearly has been evident in the last five games or so against good teams. We have been keeping up with more talented teams even when they play well. I find that encouraging. 

There is no question that there still is a talent deficit when measured against the good teams. As you noted it is apparent in the forward groupings after the first line. On the positive side this team is playing the right way. Whether you have high end talent or not that doesn't mean that you can't play with consistent effort and play a responsible two way game. And that's exactly what this team is doing. 

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

good points all around

assuming a few things pan out the rest of the way, the Leafs will again have to face the Bruins in the playoffs...

Your biggest vulnerability is that the Leafs desperately need a credible backup goalie. How about making a trade with us where we send you Hutton and you give us one of your good forwards. It will benefit both teams. ?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Your biggest vulnerability is that the Leafs desperately need a credible backup goalie. How about making a trade with us where we send you Hutton and you give us one of your good forwards. It will benefit both teams. ?

I'd lean on the blue line as the weakness for going deep, we have our goalie, a backup would be a lot to ask for. 

If I see the GM again I will forward your unsolicited offer...  :D

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was really impressed by their play against the Sabres. As you said, it looked like they just put it all together. They were passing circles around the Sabres at times (esp. in the 1st). As I said in my previous post, their skill at forward was on full display. Barrie/Rielly looked good too.

I didn’t even think the Sabres played that bad (besides the 1st period, anyway). Toronto was just the better team. 

They owe us a few more dazzling performances to get us interested again, the playoffs are up for grabs in the division, probably all season long.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

I'd lean on the blue line as the weakness for going deep, we have our goalie, a backup would be a lot to ask for. 

If I see the GM again I will forward your unsolicited offer...  :D

If your stellar starting goalie has a major groin strain you will regret not seizing the opportunity that I am offering you. ?

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is a 13 minute link with Krueger on WGR talking about the Sabres and various related topics. He talks about the emerging relationship and friendship with McDermott.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/krueger-we-need-to-be-a-threat-with-more-secondary-scoring

When Krueger was hired, I was really hoping he would form a relationship with McDermott. They both seem to share a lot of the same beliefs and coaching philosophies and both are so driven to keep learning and improving at their craft. It would have been a waste if they didn’t use each other as resources. Glad to hear it’s happening! 

• Like (+1) 1

The attached link is an 18 min. segment with Paul Hamilton on WGR talking about the Sabres. He makes some fair criticisms  of the GM for not making deals prior to the season to better balance the roster. He makes the point that addressing the second center position should have been done in the offseason. I thought his assessment of this roster was fair and reasonable. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/12-19-paul-hamilton-with-howard-and-jeremy

The below link is a 25 minute segment with Elliotte Friedman on WGR's Instigator show. A chunk of the segment dealt with the Hall trade. Ilya Kovalchuk's availability was also discussed. Friedman brought up that Botts is willing to deal but he is not going to be pressured into making a deal for the sake of a deal. The guest on the show believed that more deals will be made as the trade deadline approaches. (That's like saying that it will be dark at midnight. Stating the obvious is stating the obvious.) 

https://wgr550.radio.com/media/audio-channel/12-19-sportsnets-elliotte-friedman-with-the-instigators

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

The primary takeaway in that article on Jack is that he is invested in the success of the team. Not only is he the most talented player but he is also the hardest worker and the most driven player on the team. He isn't shrinking from his leadership role---- he is embracing it. Jack knows that he is one of the best players in the league. But he is also smart enough to realize that what elevates the stature of the best players in this league is team success. And that is what he is focused on.

When Jack signed his long term extension with Buffalo he could have signed a short-term bridge deal to give him some escape options if the team continued to struggle. He didn't go for the short term. He signed a long term deal to show that he was where he wanted to be and had a belief that the future for this organization was going to be bright.  

• Like (+1) 1