What have you learned about the media since 2005?

My big takeaway:

If cable and network news abruptly went off the air one day, it'd be a smaller disruption to "life as we know it" than anyone would ever imagine.   

It'd be just like the final couple minutes of the Truman Show.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

That's been my own opinion since before the election of Trump.

The media is trash at best, a danger to the republic at worst.

I think it's dangerous to paint any group with such a large brush. The media comes from every single side of the political spectrum. The media is people. The media is corporations. The media is commercials. The media is entertainment.

Without the people, the media would cease to exist.

2 hours ago, McGee Return TD said:

I think it's dangerous to paint any group with such a large brush. The media comes from every single side of the political spectrum. The media is people. The media is corporations. The media is commercials. The media is entertainment.

Without the people, the media would cease to exist.

Those people just spent three years bald faced lying to the public in order to assist in an illegal overthrow of the government. Not one or two or three of those people -- vast organizations and outlets. 

No one, not Trump or even Joe, has said everyone in the media is an enemy of this country. But some are. Very much so. To deny that after the last two years is either due to being in denial, too partisan, or suffering from cognitive dissonance to a reality altering level. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Those people just spent three years bald faced lying to the public in order to assist in an illegal overthrow of the government. Not one or two or three of those people -- vast organizations and outlets. 

No one, not Trump or even Joe, has said everyone in the media is an enemy of this country. But some are. Very much so. To deny that after the last two years is either due to being in denial, too partisan, or suffering from cognitive dissonance to a reality altering level. 

Trump attacks institutions, not people. It’s easier for him to make demons that way. 

Just now, BeginnersMind said:

Trump attacks institutions, not people. It’s easier for him to make demons that way. 

Trump most often attacks individuals.  He doesn't even attack institutions all that often.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Is The New York Times one of these organizations? Washington Post? 

I'd like to choose one of these enemies and have a competent discussion about it.

Just now, DC Tom said:

Trump most often attacks individuals.  He doesn't even attack institutions all that often.

Quick: What’s the adjective in front of New York Times?

Trump definitely attacks both individuals and institutions. He loves to demonize an entire swath of media though. 

40 minutes ago, McGee Return TD said:

Is The New York Times one of these organizations? Washington Post? 

I'd like to choose one of these enemies and have a competent discussion about it.

Yes to both.

The Washington Post is a CIA mouthpiece (always has been). They're compromised and Devlin Barrett on their staff was directly involved in the coup attempt. 

They NYTs had a reporter sleeping with a senate staffer (who was later indicted) and running purposeful disinformation campaign. She worked for the WaPo too. 

There are pages of discussion on this topic throughout the three main Russia threads. 

44 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Correct.

But that doesn't stop the spin from trying to rewrite his already clumsy words into something more sinister. 

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yes to both.

The Washington Post is a CIA mouthpiece (always has been). They're compromised and Devlin Barrett on their staff was directly involved in the coup attempt. 

They NYTs had a reporter sleeping with a senate staffer (who was later indicted) and running purposeful disinformation campaign. She worked for the WaPo too. 

There are pages of discussion on this topic throughout the three main Russia threads. 

Thanks for two examples of why both those papers are seen as enemies of the people. Do you see a difference between Ali Watkins and Eric Asimov? I like wine - and Eric is one of the best writers on the topic - he also happens to work for the New York Times. 

I've read (begrudgingly) through a few of the Russia threads (not all the way - the insults and troll-like behavior is difficult to read through) and noticed other news organizations - from Fox, to MSNBC, to The Gateway Pundit - pretty much every type of media source one can imagine - are commonly sourced throughout those threads. 

Those 3 specific sources (Fox, MSNBC, & Gateway Pundit) all cater to a specific audience - I think we can agree on that, at least. Each source, though, has had reporters getting information wrong, spreading disinformation, and over-editorializing. Would you consider each of those vast media organizations also as enemies of the people? 

7 minutes ago, McGee Return TD said:

Thanks for two examples of why both those papers are seen as enemies of the people. Do you see a difference between Ali Watkins and Eric Asimov? I like wine - and Eric is one of the best writers on the topic - he also happens to work for the New York Times. 

I've read (begrudgingly) through a few of the Russia threads (not all the way - the insults and troll-like behavior is difficult to read through) and noticed other news organizations - from Fox, to MSNBC, to The Gateway Pundit - pretty much every type of media source one can imagine - are commonly sourced throughout those threads. 

Those 3 specific sources (Fox, MSNBC, & Gateway Pundit) all cater to a specific audience - I think we can agree on that, at least. Each source, though, has had reporters getting information wrong, spreading disinformation, and over-editorializing. Would you consider each of those vast media organizations also as enemies of the people? 

It's not the organization. You have to take each story as it's own thing. You go by the story, the outlet, the journalist. Plenty of solid reporting is done in all outlets -- right and left -- if you dig long enough you'll find it. 

We are in a (dis)information war, and every one of us is a combatant in said war whether we realize it or not. The only way through is to hone your own discernment, not to outsource it to outlets or journalists without properly vetting them and the information they're sharing.

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Not one or two or three of those people -- vast organizations and outlets. 

13 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's not the organization. You have to take each story as it's own thing. You go by the story, the outlet, the journalist. Plenty of solid reporting is done in all outlets -- right and left -- if you dig long enough you'll find it. 

Is it the vast organizations or is it not the organization? 

I agree with your 2nd quote 100%

13 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

We are in a (dis)information war, and every one of us is a combatant in said war whether we realize it or not. The only way through is to hone your own discernment, not to outsource it to outlets or journalists without properly vetting them and the information they're sharing.

This has always been the case and should go without saying. We learn about propaganda in elementary school.

Edited by McGee Return TD

37 minutes ago, McGee Return TD said:

Is it the vast organizations or is it not the organization? 

The organizations I'm referring to are the organized groups of bad actors working on behalf of the IC (foreign and domestic) as well as other entities. 

Very few outlets are rotten to the core - some are but their numbers are low. 

38 minutes ago, McGee Return TD said:

This has always been the case and should go without saying. We learn about propaganda in elementary school.

It has, in some ways. But what we are going through now is a different animal because of the stakes and advancements in tech and social media. 

What we are experiencing now is a real time palace coup and overthrow of our government/way of life. 

• Like (+1) 1