Do we trade back in?

8 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Looks  like #30 is a 4th plus #40

Yeah?

Way I see it is:

#30 is 620 points and

#40 is 500 points.

That's 120 points. 120 points is a very low third rounder, and you generally have to give 10% or 20% extra to move up.

In any case, the story on this draft seems to be that there were only a few true first rounders, somewhere in the general neighborhood of 15 guys, but then there are a ton of true second round talents, probably right out through the 4th round.

Why give up one a second round talent (in the third or fourth round) to move up from a second round talent at #40 to a second round talent at #30? This ain't the year to do it, IMO. They've got a lot more than eight good young guys who would fit what they do and fill spaces that need filling.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah?

Way I see it is:

#30 is 620 points and

#40 is 500 points.

That's 120 points. 120 points is a very low third rounder, and you generally have to give 10% or 20% extra to move up.

In any case, the story on this draft seems to be that there were only a few true first rounders, somewhere in the general neighborhood of 15 guys, but then there are a ton of true second round talents, probably right out through the 4th round.

Why give up one a second round talent (in the third or fourth round) to move up from a second round talent at #40 to a second round talent at #30? This ain't the year to do it, IMO. They've got a lot more than eight good young guys who would fit what they do and fill spaces that need filling.

It is kinda irrelevant at this point no?

4ths and 5ths were getting done with the 2nd tossed in. There were thoughts in the twitter verse we may be able to get it done a bit cheaper around 30/31 since we are picking 8th in RD2. In the end it proved to be too cost prohibitive to move - which was/is the right move...ATL giving a 2 & 3 were too much at that point in the draft.

12 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

It is kinda irrelevant at this point no?

4ths and 5ths were getting done with the 2nd tossed in. There were thoughts in the twitter verse we may be able to get it done a bit cheaper around 30/31 since we are picking 8th in RD2. In the end it proved to be too cost prohibitive to move - which was/is the right move...ATL giving a 2 & 3 were too much at that point in the draft.

No, I don't think it's irrelevant. To me, going back and analyzing why things happened helps me understand life better. Football too.

People said that based on last year, Beane was a guy who loved to trade up and was willing to give up a lot of value. I thought - and posted - that last year had been a special year, with the purpose of trading up for a QB and a year when they'd put together a ton of draft capital to do it.

Now, this year looks just like what I expected Beane to look like in the long term ... chintzy about giving away earlyish and valuable picks. I love it. It's the smart play.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, I don't think it's irrelevant. To me, going back and analyzing why things happened helps me understand life better. Football too.

People said that based on last year, Beane was a guy who loved to trade up and was willing to give up a lot of value. I thought - and posted - that last year had been a special year, with the purpose of trading up for a QB and a year when they'd put together a ton of draft capital to do it.

Now, this year looks just like what I expected Beane to look like in the long term ... chintzy about giving away earlyish and valuable picks. I love it. It's the smart play.

Yes, Beane has proven that he's not a one trick pony but a rather shrewd card player.