Non-Bills related: If the Cards take Murray #1. Why I think he will fail in the NFL...

Dopey

We've dissected the Bills til my head hurts, so I shifted to another intriguing story line of the draft. Kyler Murray and the Cards.

This is such a big gamble by Arizona. So much is dependent on what I feel is a gimmicky college coach, a gimmicky offense and a gimmicky QB. At 1st my only thought was Murray is too small and short to make it in the NFL. He will not be able to outrun everyone in the NFL like he did in college. He will take a beating and might not survive. I still think this is the case, but now, to me the big question is Arizona not just putting it's trust in a rookie QB who I think only works in 1 type of system, but also trusting a coach who seems to work in 1 type of system. I personally feel that system won't work in the NFL and Arizona will be stuck with both a coach and QB that just doesn't work in the NFL. In college, you play against teams with 18-19 yrs old kids in most games. Kyler is faster that most college players. Plus these kids are still learning pursuit angles. If your angle is off just a bit, Kyler is gone. You can gimmick your way to a ton of wins in college. Plus college coaches spend the off-season recruiting. In the NFL, these aren't 18-19 yrs old kids. These are world class athletes who can run you down and hurt you. These are coaches who don't take the off-season time to recruit. They're studying ways to beat that gimmick of an offense. Arizona's offense wasn't bad because of coaching (well not all of it). They probably had less o-line talent than our Bills. And that's saying a lot. Their best WR was old man Fitz. They lack talent on offense and I can't think of many coaches that would have gotten much out of that group, especially Kingsbury. If Kyler is going to have success, in my opinion it would only be in Kingsbury's offense. To me, that's a problem because I don't see that offense lasting in the NFL. I just don't see this working out for Kyler or Kingsbury. He can always go back to baseball.

Thoughts please.

Edited by Dopey

I think you're vastly under-rating Murray. Truly, the guy has a stellar bio. Associated Press All-American and Player of the Year, Davey O'Brien Award winner, Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, to name a few. He passed for over 4,000 yards, and rushed for over 1,000. And, your biggest knock on him seems to be that if the Cards draft him, he will be playing in a system that best suits him. And, at Oklahoma, he played behind, and then took over for Baker Mayfield, who played in the same system, and seems to be doing fine.

6 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think you're vastly under-rating Murray. Truly, the guy has a stellar bio. Associated Press All-American and Player of the Year, Davey O'Brien Award winner, Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, to name a few. He passed for over 4,000 yards, and rushed for over 1,000. And, your biggest knock on him seems to be that if the Cards draft him, he will be playing in a system that best suits him. And, at Oklahoma, he played behind, and then took over for Baker Mayfield, who played in the same system, and seems to be doing fine.

This is why I think Murray will have some short-term success (if Kingsbury actually drafts him).

Otherwise, he's not a leader. He doesn't have the same mentality that Baker has. From what I've seen, he's immature and has a weirdly controlling father. He's not gonna last.

I never liked small quarterbacks. I think he needs to have special mobility within the pocket to find passing windows to be effective. This is something that both Drew Brees and Russell Wilson excel at. I don't see it with Murray. I don't see it with Mayfield either, who I'm not completely sold on. Anyway, Murray seems like a huge weirdo and not a leader of men. Plus he is small and played in a gimmicky offense against some crap defenses. I do think he will click with Christian Kirk, but I don't see long term success. And I think he is going to get killed out there. That way that Tyrod would get hurt on routine hits that every other quarterback takes with no issue...that's what I see for Murray. That said, I think he is a good match for Kingsbury, but I don't think he's a better prospect than Josh Rosen. I think Haskins and Lock have better careers than Murray. 

32 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Sure, the system suits him. But IMO that would be the only system he could succeed in. I just don't think that system will be successful in the NFL. So I feel he has that against him too.

As for Baker, he has so far shown he can play a more "traditional" QB role and not rely on gimmicks and speed to beat defenses. I don't see that in Kyler.

Edited by Dopey

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Sure, the system suits him. But IMO that would be the only system he could succeed in. I just don't think that system will be successful in the NFL. So I feel he has that against him too.

As for Baker, he has so far shown he can play a more "traditional" QB role and not rely on gimmicks and speed to beat defenses. I don't see that in Kyler.

But Kingsbury was friends with Mcvay and once smelled one of Mcvays farts so you know he will be successful!

6 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

So did Tebow and Ryan Leaf.

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Can we all just agree the cards are a train wreck and anyone’s unlikely to succeed there? 

I’ve always enjoyed cards stories such as these:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/03/03/cardinals-stiff-former-coaches-out-of-super-bowl-bonuses/

That is sad.