Play Ball ⚾⚾

CowgirlsFan

16 hours ago, row_33 said:

It's good to have a non-MLB interest in the sport, I got to see a dozen or so games of the Arkansas Travelers 20 years ago, I think they were the Cards AA team, Ricky Ankiel made a brief appearance on his way to the bigs (the first time.)

I basically lived at Pilot Field growing up watching the Bisons. Saw a bunch of guys who went on to make big names for themselves and sat five feet away, and even talked to some of them. Justin Turner from the Dodgers spent a year and a half there and I talked to him all the time before games. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I basically lived at Pilot Field growing up watching the Bisons. Saw a bunch of guys who went on to make big names for themselves and sat five feet away, and even talked to some of them. Justin Turner from the Dodgers spent a year and a half there and I talked to him all the time before games. 

The closeness to the action raises things you don't get on TV or sitting too far away to hear the chatter, each sport delivers it's own enhancement and de-hancement of enjoyment by getting really close

At Little Rock the seats were $2 and basically general admission, $1 beer and i was good to forget the work for that day.

-------------------------------------------

So the Jays over the first 3 innings for the first 6 games...

with 56 plate appearances have one walk and have gone 1 for 55

Just now, row_33 said:

The closeness to the action raises things you don't get on TV or sitting too far away to hear the chatter, each sport delivers it's own enhancement and de-hancement of enjoyment by getting really close

At Little Rock the seats were $2 and basically general admission, $1 beer and i was good to forget the work for that day.

UH I have general admission season tickets, which technically means I have to sit in the "upper deck" which still isn't that far because the lower deck is six rows of seating, and a small concourse. No balcony or anything. But the generally accepted rule is, sit where you want, just make sure you move if someone has tickets where you're actually sitting.

Large souvineer size pop is $7.00. But it comes with a free refill sticker, that they almost never take. I buy one a year, then after the first few games, I take the stickers from the ones that were left behind, so even if they take it, I have backups. So I spend $7 a year on Coke Zero at the park. 

26 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

UH I have general admission season tickets, which technically means I have to sit in the "upper deck" which still isn't that far because the lower deck is six rows of seating, and a small concourse. No balcony or anything. But the generally accepted rule is, sit where you want, just make sure you move if someone has tickets where you're actually sitting.

Large souvineer size pop is $7.00. But it comes with a free refill sticker, that they almost never take. I buy one a year, then after the first few games, I take the stickers from the ones that were left behind, so even if they take it, I have backups. So I spend $7 a year on Coke Zero at the park. 

It's too commercial for you with this team.

Little Rock around 1999 was full general admission, women sat 15 feet away with no screen between them and foul balls, a baby in one arm, a beer in the other hand

Edited by row_33

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I love it down there..best minor league park in the country imo.Nothing beats the smell and taste of those Sahlen's dogs.

Not sure if you know this but "The Butcher" died last year.

1 hour ago, Misterbluesky said:

I love it down there..best minor league park in the country imo.Nothing beats the smell and taste of those Sahlen's dogs.

Not sure if you know this but "The Butcher" died last year.

I did. Sad. His time as a bat boy was before my time. But him and my dad were pretty good friends. They worked together for the City sanitation dept, so I'd met him a handful of times when I went to work with my dad. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I did. Sad. His time as a bat boy was before my time. But him and my dad were pretty good friends. They worked together for the City sanitation dept, so I'd met him a handful of times when I went to work with my dad. 

Did his dad or relative own Porky's on Clinton in Kaisertown,as well? They sponsored that big softball tourney at Houghton Park over the Labor Day weekends.Yes..he was a neat guy..down to earth..he took to much abuse about his weight though.

Edited by Misterbluesky

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Did his dad or relative own Porky's on Clinton in Kaisertown,as well? They sponsored that big softball tourney at Houghton Park over the Labor Day weekends.Yes..he was a neat guy..down to earth..he took to much abuse about his weight though.

Nah. But Butcher entered the demolition derby at the ECF one year and used my dad's car. And my dad helped run the South Buffalo Baseball leauge and used his DJ service a few times.

twice this year a runner has been hit by a batted ball in Yankees games.

you can go a decade of watching a game every day and it doesn’t happen

each time the infield was back so the runner was out

Edited by row_33

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

twice this year a runner has been hit by a batted ball in Yankees games.

you can go a decade of watching a game every day and it doesn’t happen

each time the infield was back so the runner was out

And it only took Tulo less than a week to get injured.......

It's been a crazy start to the season with some good teams struggle and some expected bad teams starting out hot. I would think if you asked people to check out the current standing of the AL east before this season started they would have thought they were looking at it upside down. It's a long season though and everything will even it's way back out. It's not often that in baseball, a team expected to be good ends up bad, too many games to expect teams to be really good/perfect for the entire season .... 

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

And it only took Tulo less than a week to get injured.......

It's been a crazy start to the season with some good teams struggle and some expected bad teams starting out hot. I would think if you asked people to check out the current standing of the AL east before this season started they would have thought they were looking at it upside down. It's a long season though and everything will even it's way back out. It's not often that in baseball, a team expected to be good ends up bad, too many games to expect teams to be really good/perfect for the entire season .... 

Jays fans are not surprised, Tulo had the strangest injury reasons as well, at least this was baseball-ish, was expecting the next injury due to being bitten by a rabid raccoon

Jays are paying $50,000,000 this year to Tulo and Russell Marin (starting somewhere, the Dodgers??)

oh, and when the runner gets hit by a batted ball, it's considered a hit for the batter and the runner is out.

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Jays fans are not surprised, Tulo had the strangest injury reasons as well, at least this was baseball-ish, was expecting the next injury due to being bitten by a rabid raccoon

Jays are paying $50,000,000 this year to Tulo and Russell Marin (starting somewhere, the Dodgers??)

oh, and when the runner gets hit by a batted ball, it's considered a hit for the batter and the runner is out.

Russell is with the Dodgers, on the weekend he pitched the last inning of a game they were leading by 16 runs (and got all 3 batters out) then was catching the other night when also former Jay Kevin Pillar came up to bat for the Giants.

I never understood moving Martin. He seemed to be ok in Toronto, was willing to be a backup and play in the infield, and it's not like they need to free up up cap space in baseball. Paying him to play in LA is dumb, hes a better backup option then Luke Maille. But he was an Anthopolous move so current management cant keep him around......

They actually are paying closer to $60 mil (almost as much as their current roster) to players not to play in Toronto after the moved Morales to Oakland the day before the start of the season and retained around 10 of his 12 mil

I'm still trying to figure out if the Jay's are just unlucky and facing a bunch of really good pitchers who are taking no hitters late into games, or if they are so bad they are making every pitcher look like a Cy Young candidate.......

It's going to be a long ugly year at the Roger's Centre......

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Russell is with the Dodgers, on the weekend he pitched the last inning of a game they were leading by 16 runs (and got all 3 batters out) then was catching the other night when also former Jay Kevin Pillar came up to bat for the Giants.

I never understood moving Martin. He seemed to be ok in Toronto, was willing to be a backup and play in the infield, and it's not like they need to free up up cap space in baseball. Paying him to play in LA is dumb, hes a better backup option then Luke Maille. But he was an Anthopolous move so current management cant keep him around......

They actually are paying closer to $60 mil (almost as much as their current roster) to players not to play in Toronto after the moved Morales to Oakland the day before the start of the season and retained around 10 of his 12 mil

It can’t pay to know that much about the Jays...

Yankees rescue the season with 7 runs after down 4-1 in the 6th

capped by an 0-2 meatball from Wright to Gleybar Torres for the lead

Torres 4 for 4 with 2 taters and a double and 4 RBI today