Good Reads

RaoulDuke79

41 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Don’t laugh 

Nora  Roberts 

Brown Dale and Dan 

My wife has ever Nora Roberts book ever made. I guess J.D. Robb is kind of her ghostwriter too or something of that nature....half of those bastard totes I had to move were filled with those two.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

I like a lot that were mentioned but I don't think I saw Bradbury in there. His books of short stories are excellent and they are readily available in paperback at used book stores. He is in my top 5 for sure.

8 minutes ago, T&C said:

I like a lot that were mentioned but I don't think I saw Bradbury in there. His books of short stories are excellent and they are readily available in paperback at used book stores. He is in my top 5 for sure.

Short stories are generally underrated. So many good ones through the years, but I can’t remember the last time I read one. I need to make a point of looking in that direction.  

• Like (+1) 2

I was thinking about best author's the other day and I figured if someone could write a book I loved in a genre I do not like then they were probably the better author. 

I'm not into fiction, but Daphne Dumarier's Jamaica Inn (1936) was a book I couldn't put down.   It's set in the 1820's in Cornwall, England.  Drinking, murder and mayhem, it will make you glad you are alive today and not back then.

13 hours ago, stuvian said:

The Magus - John Fowles

The Painted Bird - Jerzy Kosinski

Such is My Beloved - Morley Callahan

To Have and Have Not - Ernest Hemingway

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky

I read Crime and Punishment when I was 18 and then about 30 years later picked up the same copy and re-read it.  I came away with very different impressions the second time around.  Loved it both times. One of my favotites from high school was Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts.

I have a very difficult time choosing what fiction to read, so I usually head for the classics. This thread is great for finding suggestions.

I will say that I read the whole Jack Aubrey/Master and Commander series of books by Patrick O’Brian.  They’re great.  I may pick up a couple of those again.

I finally picked up Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by Le Carre a little while ago.  It was the first time I had to go back through the first 75 pages to figure out what the hell was going on, but after that, the story cruised along.

One of my kids watched The Shining for the first time about a week ago.  I told her to pick up the book, it is much better than the film.