"Parks and Rec" vs "The Office"

Parks and Rec vs The Office  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you enjoy more?

office turned into people glaring at the camera over the same old predictable stuff, yeah we got it...

it should have ended after season 4 at the latest

but the US loves to beat it into the ground, and then some, the worst being giving a 2-week SNL sketch an entire movie that nobody wanted....

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

office turned into people glaring at the camera over the same old predictable stuff, yeah we got it...

it should have ended after season 4 at the latest

but the US loves to beat it into the ground, and then some, the worst being giving a 2-week SNL sketch an entire movie that nobody wanted....

Is this towards a specific SNL movie, or are you just commenting on the trend?

4 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The last two Seasons of the office are the same way.

I've literally re-voted on my own poll like three times. My wife is watching The Office for the first time through. This is my second time watching it from beginning to end. It's much more subtle than Parks and Rec, and now I'm noticing things that I didn't the first time. A lot of them are just things that aren't funny until you get to know the characters. That, and just subtle humor, and background stuff. I just realized that Michael Scott has a "Certificate of Authenticity" from Seiko watches framed and on his wall his entire time on the show. 

Last few season are understandable, very few shows dont fizzle out by the end. First few seasons though, that's different.

I never found a single character on Parks and Rec to be even remotely likeable.  It worked for Ron, but beyond that, everyone else was just plain annoying.

Some day, I want to learn the full life story of Creed.

These two get compared a lot but I’ve always felt they didn’t deserve it. They are a similar setup, but the feel is 100% different to me. Parks and Rec is very slapstick, and tries hard for humor (case in point: Andy Dwyer) whereas the Office is more subtle and leans hard into its own awkwardness to find humor (Gay witch hunt, dinner party, etc.). That being said, the Office is a better show because it’s the original (a copy of the original, at least), but I think it’s apples and oranges. 

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

These two get compared a lot but I’ve always felt they didn’t deserve it. They are a similar setup, but the feel is 100% different to me. Parks and Rec is very slapstick, and tries hard for humor (case in point: Andy Dwyer) whereas the Office is more subtle and leans hard into its own awkwardness to find humor (Gay witch hunt, dinner party, etc.). That being said, the Office is a better show because it’s the original (a copy of the original, at least), but I think it’s apples and oranges. 

Surprising from the guy with the picture of Ron Swanson.......

2 hours ago, shrader said:

I never found a single character on Parks and Rec to be even remotely likeable.  It worked for Ron, but beyond that, everyone else was just plain annoying.

Some day, I want to learn the full life story of Creed.

It should've been a spinoff on HBO, could have been done similar to 'How I met your Mother' and be done as a long flashback of his life. It would have to be on something like HBO because it would probably have some disturbing and dark episodes.

Could have also been funny to have an episode where they dug into his past and found he grew up in a normal, typical suburban family setting, or that he has that life now with a wife and kids at home......

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Surprising from the guy with the picture of Ron Swanson.......

That has more to do with my self-identity as a Swansonesque type person. He's probably my favorite individual character from these shows, but the whole of the Office is still better. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

That has more to do with my self-identity as a Swansonesque type person. He's probably my favorite individual character from these shows, but the whole of the Office is still better. 

But how would Ron really answer?

I do love the Fan Theories on the office.

Michael Scott is actually a genius. He plays dumb for the documentary crew to get more airtime. Another theory is the same, except the reasoning is so people underestimate him. Which explains his great sales prowess, as shown in the Chilli's episode, and when he convinces Dunder Mifflan to buy the Michael Scott Paper Company for much more than it's worth. 

Toby being the Scranton Strangler. 

Phyllis at one point had an affair/one night stand with Michael and/or Stanley.

So many more.