"Parks and Rec" vs "The Office"

Parks and Rec vs The Office  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you enjoy more?

3 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Snob.

That isn't an option in this here pole.

US once again steals a TV plot that was huge in Britain first...

Ricky Gervais singlehandedly destroyed anyone in the poll shows.... 

And it ended after 24 shows approx. and didn’t grind it YEARS past the obvious point of nothing left to do with it...

Go and watch it, now!

Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place were made by the same people and I prefer both of them to the office and parks and rec although I didn't hate either show.

I am just not a fan of cringe comedy where people are very awkward and the laughs are drawn from that.  I end up just being annoyed.  The office has a lot of this comedy and Jim is kind of a dick but supposed to be the lovable guy.  Parks and Rec started slow but I really enjoyed the growth of that show.  Leslie Knope could be annoying at times though which also turned me off to the show.  I won't say I didn't like them just wasn't a giant fan.  Brooklyn 99 is probably my favorite tv show right now.  What can I say I like dumb comedy!

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, section122 said:

I am just not a fan of cringe comedy where people are very awkward and the laughs are drawn from that.  I end up just being annoyed.  

Gets stale after two seasons 

Edited by row_33

I would have to vote The Office

Parks and Rec wasnt horrible, but I wouldn't consider it anything special. I remember when it came out, working g for municipal government it was the talk of the office for the first season, then I dont remember anyone talking about it. 

And to compare, one is in heavy syndication and available on Netflix, the other I dont think is being repeated anymore and is available through Amazon Prime........

Edited by apuszczalowski

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Parks and Rec wasnt horrible, but I wouldn't consider it anything special. I remember when it came out, working g for municipal government it was the talk of the office for the first season, then I dont remember anyone talking about it. 

And to compare, one is in heavy syndication and available on Netflix, the other I dont think is being repeated anymore and is available through Amazon Prime........

Parks and rec is also on netflix...

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/8/2019 at 12:49 PM, apuszczalowski said:

For anyone coming into P&R fresh, I always recommend they just start with Season 3. They completely rebooted the show going into Season 3, changed some cast, and they start the season with a recap anyways. Then, once you really like it, go back and watch the first 2 seasons for some of Ron Swanson's best jokes.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For anyone coming into P&R fresh, I always recommend they just start with Season 3. They completely rebooted the show going into Season 3, changed some cast, and they start the season with a recap anyways. Then, once you really like it, go back and watch the first 2 seasons for some of Ron Swanson's best jokes.

Yeah. Mark Brendanawicz may possibly be the most boring character in the history of sitcoms. He never said anything funny, or really even had much of a personality. 

11 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Yeah. Mark Brendanawicz may possibly be the most boring character in the history of sitcoms. He never said anything funny, or really even had much of a personality. 

Agreed, dude was horrible. Not sure if that was the actor's fault or the writers' fault.

But it's tough to fault Greg Daniels, and especially Michael Shur, for anything.

Speaking of Michael Shur, I wouldnt mind seeing you add his new (and solo baby) show to the poll: The Good Place.

TGP has a long way to go to match up to The Office or P&R, but it's been pretty brilliant so far. Who knew Cousin Mose was so talented?!?

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed, dude was horrible. Not sure if that was the actor's fault or the writers' fault.

But it's tough to fault Greg Daniels, and especially Michael Shur, for anything.

Speaking of Michael Shur, I wouldnt mind seeing you add his new (and solo baby) show to the poll: The Good Place.

TGP has a long way to go to match up to The Office or P&R, but it's been pretty brilliant so far. Who knew Cousin Mose was so talented?!?

He was supposed to be a Jim Halpart type character. The normal guy in the room full of crazies. But what makes Jim a good character, is his reaction to what was going on around him. Whether it was his commentary, the way he would just pick his battles with Michael, and go along with the non dangerous stuff, even the way he looked at the camera in a "wtf" moment. Mark didn't have any of that. He was just a very boring character. 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think right there, that should end this discussion. If you have to skip seasons til a show gets 'rebooted' to improve, it cant be considered one of the best....  

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think right there, that should end this discussion. If you have to skip seasons til a show gets 'rebooted' to improve, it cant be considered one of the best....  

The last two Seasons of the office are the same way.

I've literally re-voted on my own poll like three times. My wife is watching The Office for the first time through. This is my second time watching it from beginning to end. It's much more subtle than Parks and Rec, and now I'm noticing things that I didn't the first time. A lot of them are just things that aren't funny until you get to know the characters. That, and just subtle humor, and background stuff. I just realized that Michael Scott has a "Certificate of Authenticity" from Seiko watches framed and on his wall his entire time on the show. 

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

13 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

As Joe said, first two with P&R, last 2 with the Office. Some folks even argue that the 1st season of the Office was a shot-for-shot remake of the BBC show (which it was), and it was floudering badly in the ratings. Until Mindy Kaling and BJ Novak (Kelly & Ryan) stepped in as writers and started taking the show their own way. Ep 1 of S 2 "The Dundies" was Mindy's first foray into the new feel, and without them and Paul Lieberstein (Toby) and Michael Shur's writing, the show may not have made it past Season 2.

That all said, of course the Office is the winner. It's barely debatable. But P&R is an excellent show itself.