Scouts Inc. draft grades

I don't think so. Green Bay and The Raiders I think were both trying to trade up to get him in the first. Furthermore, I have not only read in more than one place that some draft guys think none of the top QBs this year are equal to the top four of last year, but that several NFL teams had JP rated equal to or just below Rivers, Eli and Big Ben.

Most of the lowering of his potential was based on seemingly baseless character and egos issues, as the teams that actually interviewed him came away liking his attitude and finding it a plus not a minus. Everyone seemingly agreed that he was very raw, but all I am saying is that if he was put up against the two guys this year, and looked at by these same GMs, from what I have read, JP would be considered as good as them or better as a prospect. Obviously, Scouts is not the end all of draftniks and ratings and seemed to miss the boat on Losman compared to what other coaches and GMs around the league think.

289933[/snapback]

Kelly no offense, and I do believe at times you bring some very good discussion to the board. But your utterly blind loyalty towards current Bills players and lack of objectively comparing them to other players on other teams is almost comical. Kelly JP is not a HOF'er yet, in fact in the few times he has seen the field, he sucked. I for one hope he over comes it, but if JP was so good and everyone thought so, then we would have Rivers or Big Ben or Manning as our QB. the fact that teams are trading for Rivers from SD rather then offering the #1 for JP tells you he isn't in their league.

As far as sources of evaluation Scouts is not the only one, but it is convienent. There are numerous sources that stated JP should have been a 2nd rounder and was drafted way too early. The fact is neither GB or the Raiders are a very good team right now, so who cares if they "reportedly" were going to get JP. The fact is that they didn't means it is all bull sh-- and just hyping a player, for whatever screwed up reason.

Kelly no offense, and I do believe at times you bring some very good discussion to the board.  But your utterly blind loyalty towards current Bills players and lack of objectively comparing them to other players on other teams is almost comical.  Kelly JP is not a HOF'er yet, in fact in the few times he has seen the field, he sucked.   I for one hope he over comes it, but if JP was so good and everyone thought so, then we would have Rivers or Big Ben or Manning as our QB.  the fact that teams are trading for Rivers from SD rather then offering the #1 for JP tells you he isn't in their league. 

As far as sources of evaluation Scouts is not the only one, but it is convienent.  There are numerous sources that stated JP should have been a 2nd rounder and was drafted way too early.  The fact is neither GB or the Raiders are a very good team right now, so who cares if they "reportedly" were going to get JP.  The fact is that they didn't means it is all bull sh-- and just hyping a player, for whatever screwed up reason.

290154[/snapback]

Thanks for, as usual, not responding to the point and putting words in people's mouths. Where have I ever even said that JP was good let alone great? In fact, all I said was that he would likely run around a lot, get lot of first downs and few points, not score a lot in the red zone, and throw ill advised interceptions. If you take this to mean I think he should be in the Hall of Fame, which one of us is comical?

There have been many articles stating Green bay really wanted JP and are now stuck. The recent article about Losman from the other coaches in the league lauding his abilities is something you just don't see much. I havent said my own opinion of him as our QB with any laudatory comments whatsoever, and won't until he plays. I hope he does great.

Frankly, there is absolutely nothing to make me believe that if other teams offered their number one to TD for Losman right now that he would take it. Which is the reason he made the move. He got the extra year working on the sidelines while Drew played, and there wasn't anyone coming up that he liked more. Which leads me back to my original post.

Here's a nice story for you on the quality of ratings: Losman rated ahead of Manning. :lol:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1563004.html

Thanks for, as usual, not responding to the point and putting words in people's mouths. Where have I ever even said that JP was good let alone great? In fact, all I said was that he would likely run around a lot, get  lot of first downs and few points, not score a lot in the red zone, and throw ill advised interceptions. If you take this to mean I think he should be in the Hall of Fame, which one of us is comical?

There have been many articles stating Green bay really wanted JP and are now stuck. The recent article about Losman from the other coaches in the league lauding his abilities is something you just don't see much. I havent said my own opinion of him as our QB with any laudatory comments whatsoever, and won't until he plays. I hope he does great.

Frankly, there is absolutely nothing to make me believe that if other teams offered their number one to TD for Losman right now that he would take it. Which is the reason he made the move. He got the extra year working on the sidelines while Drew played, and there wasn't anyone coming up that he liked more. Which leads me back to my original post.

290236[/snapback]

Maybe he got confused and was thinking of your comments about good Travis Henry is, and how much he is "worth."

Texas head coach Mack Brown on Losman to the San Antonio Express News (September 25, 2003):

"What the unnamed pro scouts tell me is he's the best prospect in the country. He scrambles well, has a quick release and seems more comfortable in the pocket. And he's much more accurate."

Thanks for, as usual, not responding to the point and putting words in people's mouths. Where have I ever even said that JP was good let alone great? In fact, all I said was that he would likely run around a lot, get  lot of first downs and few points, not score a lot in the red zone, and throw ill advised interceptions. If you take this to mean I think he should be in the Hall of Fame, which one of us is comical?

Here's a nice story for you on the quality of ratings: Losman rated ahead of Manning.  :P

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1563004.html

290236[/snapback]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/47584.html

PROJECTION: Early Second Round

http://www.nfl.com/draft/analysis/expert/brandt/qb

rated the 4th best Qb last year

by Gil Brandt

Again the point was every major rating service had him the 4th best Qb last year. None of them that I can find would rate him better then the 2 guys on the board this year as you claim. Rodgers and Smith are rated so much higher then Losman by everyone.

Now he maybe the 3rd Qb picked if he was in this years draft, but again the drop off after Rodgers and Smith is dramatic at QB, so it isn't saying much.

Only time will tell if Losman pans out, and I honestly hope as a Bills fan that he does but your infatuation that every Bills player is the greatest HOF'er ever is funny. I think we have some great talent but we also are very weak. Losman has done nothing to prove he was better then any of the Qb's picked ahead of him last year.

Also your statement

Furthermore, I have not only read in more than one place that some draft guys think none of the top QBs this year are equal to the top four of last year, but that several NFL teams had JP rated equal to or just below Rivers, Eli and Big Ben.

Show me more than one place of someone other then a basement website writer who would even dream of saying that. Also, if Losman was as great and as good or better then the 2 guys this year and better then even Manning, you would thing the 9'ers would be offering their #1 to us. Yet I just don't seem to be hearing that rumor. :lol:

They had Rivers at 99 along with Mannings and a couple other players last year.  This has been discussed, this draft doesn't have the instant star quality that last years draft had, but from rounds 1-4 is a whole lot deeper with solid depth.

289762[/snapback]

Last years draft was loaded from top to bottom. As evidenced by the Bills success, there were a lot of good UDFA's too. Yeah, it was a little light at LB and RB, but those positions happen to be traditionally easy fills. This years draft isn't as good OR as deep, IMO.

Last years draft was loaded from top to bottom.  As evidenced by the Bills success, there were a lot of good UDFA's too.  Yeah, it was a little light at LB and RB, but those positions happen to be traditionally easy fills.  This years draft isn't as good OR as deep, IMO.

290465[/snapback]

What success did we have last year in the draft. Evans did well, but who else did well last year?

JP sucked in his 5 plays, Anderson never sniffed the field, neither did Mcfarland or Smith. Euphas only saw time out of neccessity and wasn't very good.

Okay check this out, according to Scout, basically anything above an 70 will do well in the NFL, beyond that who knows:

90-100  Rare Prospect  Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. Is a premier college player that has all the skill to take over a game and play at a championship level. He rates in the top 5 players in the nation at his position and is considered a first round draft prospect. 

80-89  Outstanding Prospect  Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL. A feature player that has an impact on the outcome of the game. Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out. He rates in the top 10 at his position and is considered a second round draft prospect. 

70-79  Solid Prospect  Still a standout player at the college level that is close to being an elite player. He has no glaring weaknesses and will usually win his individual matchups, but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the country. He will usually rate in the top third of players at his position and is considered a third round draft prospect. 

60-69  Good Prospect  This player is an good starter that will give a solid effort week in and week out, but he is overmatched versus the better players in the nation. His weaknesses will be exposed against top competition. He is usually a prospect that is missing something from his game. For example, he has the size and skills to be an outstanding prospect, but lacks the speed. He will usually rate in the top half of the players at his position and is considered a middle round draft choice. 

50-59  Adequate Prospect  These are usually players that play at a high level in college, but lack some measurables or skills to play at that same level in the NFL. He may be a player that has a lot of developmental qualities, or could be a player that will contribute right away on special teams or in a situational capacity. He will usually rate in the second-third at his position and is considered a fifth round draft choice. 

21-49  Borderline Draft Prospect  These are players that teams like something about, but certainly do not have the full package in terms of NFL talent. A lot of times, teams will take chances on character players or developmental type athletes with this grade. And often, these are players that come from smaller schools or did not standout at the college level. NFL teams are looking for 'diamonds in the rough' with this type of prospect. He will usually rate in the bottom third of players at his position and will be considered a late round draft choice or un-drafted free agent. 

20  Free Agent Prospect  These are players that did not make our original 'evaluation list' but are prospects that need to be monitored. Especially in the pre-season, these players will fluctuate up and down depending on performance in their final year of eligibility. 

10  Not a legitimate Prospect  These are players that lack NFL measurables and/or skills. They are players that we feel would not even make a solid contribution as a training camp body. 

Now last year there were 103 players rated at 70 or higher.

This year there are 111 players rated at 70 or higher.

Therefore this years depth is slightly larger.

Here is this years list.

NAME POS HT WT SCHOOL GRADE FLAG RANK COMMENT

Braylon Edwards WR 6'2" 211 MICHIGAN 99  1 Expert's Take

Aaron Rodgers QB 6'2" 223 CALIFORNIA 99 B 2 Expert's Take

Alex Smith QB 6'4" 217 UTAH 98 B 3 Expert's Take

Ronnie Brown RB 6'0" 233 AUBURN 98  4 Expert's Take

Adam Jones DC 5'9" 187 WEST VIRGINIA 98 BM 5 Expert's Take

Carnell Williams RB 5'10" 217 AUBURN 97 D 6 Expert's Take

Mike Williams WR 6'4" 229 USC 97  7 Expert's Take

Derrick Johnson OLB 6'3" 242 TEXAS 96  8 Expert's Take

Antrel Rolle DC 6'0" 201 MIAMI (FLA.) 96  9 Expert's Take

Cedric Benson RB 5'10" 222 TEXAS 96 C 10 Expert's Take

Shawne Merriman OLB 6'3" 249 MARYLAND 95  11 Expert's Take

Travis Johnson DT 6'3" 290 FLORIDA STATE 95 CD 12 Expert's Take

Alex Barron OT 6'7" 320 FLORIDA STATE 95  13 Expert's Take

David Pollack DE 6'2" 265 GEORGIA 95  14 Expert's Take

Marcus Spears DE 6'4" 307 LOUISIANA STATE 94 DS 15 Expert's Take

Troy Williamson WR 6'1" 203 SOUTH CAROLINA 94  16 Expert's Take

Erasmus James DE 6'4" 266 WISCONSIN 93 D 17 Expert's Take

Heath Miller TE 6'5" 256 VIRGINIA 93 D 18 Expert's Take

Carlos Rogers DC 6'0" 196 AUBURN 93  19 Expert's Take

Dan Cody DE 6'5" 257 OKLAHOMA 92 D 20 Expert's Take

Shaun Cody DT 6'4" 293 USC 92 B 21 Expert's Take

Khalif Barnes OT 6'5" 305 WASHINGTON 91 D 22 Expert's Take

Matt Roth DE 6'3" 278 IOWA 91  23 Expert's Take

Thomas Davis DS 6'1" 230 GEORGIA 91  24 Expert's Take

Mark Clayton WR 5'10" 193 OKLAHOMA 91 B 25 Expert's Take

Fabian Washington DC 5'10" 188 NEBRASKA 91 B 26 Expert's Take

Roddy White WR 6'1" 207 ALABAMA-BIRMINGHAM 90  27 Expert's Take

Jammal Brown OT 6'5" 316 OKLAHOMA 90 M 28 Expert's Take

Marlin Jackson DC 6'0" 198 MICHIGAN 90 CD 29 Expert's Take

Channing Crowder ILB 6'2" 242 FLORIDA 90 CD 30 Expert's Take

Demarcus Ware DE 6'4" 251 TROY STATE 90 B 31 Expert's Take

Brodney Pool DS 6'1" 207 OKLAHOMA 90  32 Expert's Take

David Baas OC 6'4" 319 MICHIGAN 89  33 Expert's Take

Kevin Burnett OLB 6'2" 239 TENNESSEE 89 D 34 Expert's Take

Justin Miller DC 5'9" 201 CLEMSON 89 B 35 Expert's Take

Anttaj Hawthorne DT 6'3" 321 WISCONSIN 89  36 Expert's Take

Reggie Brown WR 6'1" 196 GEORGIA 88 D 37 Expert's Take

Odell Thurman ILB 6'0" 233 GEORGIA 88 CM 38 Expert's Take

Brandon Browner DC 6'3" 221 OREGON STATE 88 S 39 Expert's Take

Chris Canty DE 6'7" 286 VIRGINIA 88 CI 40 Expert's Take

Barrett Ruud ILB 6'2" 247 NEBRASKA 87  41 Expert's Take

Darryl Blackstock OLB 6'2" 247 VIRGINIA 87  42 Expert's Take

Elton Brown OG 6'4" 329 VIRGINIA 87  43 Expert's Take

Marcus Johnson OT 6'6" 321 MISSISSIPPI 87 S 44 Expert's Take

Justin Tuck DE 6'4" 265 NOTRE DAME 87 D 45 Expert's Take

Jason Campbell QB 6'4" 230 AUBURN 86  46 Expert's Take

Luis Castillo DT 6'3" 303 NORTHWESTERN 86  47 Expert's Take

Eric Green DC 5'11" 198 VIRGINIA TECH 86 D 48 Expert's Take

Roscoe Parrish WR 5'9" 168 MIAMI (FLA.) 86 BM 49 Expert's Take

Chris Spencer OC 6'2" 309 MISSISSIPPI 85  50 Expert's Take

Mike Patterson DT 5'11" 292 USC 85 BM 51 Expert's Take

Ernest Shazor DS 6'3" 228 MICHIGAN 85 S 52 Expert's Take

Chris Henry WR 6'4" 197 WEST VIRGINIA 85 CM 53 Expert's Take

Vernand Morency RB 5'8" 214 OKLAHOMA STATE 85 B 54 Expert's Take

Charlie Frye QB 6'3" 225 AKRON 85  55 Expert's Take

Corey Webster DC 6'0" 199 LOUISIANA STATE 84 DM 56 Expert's Take

Adam Terry OT 6'8" 330 SYRACUSE 84 B 57 Expert's Take

Andrew Walter QB 6'6" 233 ARIZONA STATE 84 D 58 Expert's Take

Bryant McFadden DC 5'11" 193 FLORIDA STATE 82  59 Expert's Take

Alex Smith TE 6'4" 258 STANFORD 83  60 Expert's Take

Ciatrick Fason RB 6'1" 246 LOUISVILLE 83  61 Expert's Take

Jerome Mathis WR 5'11" 181 HAMPTON 82  62 Expert's Take

Logan Mankins OG 6'4" 307 FRESNO STATE 81  63 Expert's Take

Fred Gibson WR 6'4" 196 GEORGIA 81 CD 64 Expert's Take

Antonio Perkins DC 5'10" 190 OKLAHOMA 81 D 65 Expert's Take

Jonathan Babineaux DT 6'2" 286 IOWA 80 BD 66 Expert's Take

JJ Arrington RB 5'9" 212 OKLAHOMA STATE 80 A 67 Expert's Take

Eric Shelton RB 6'0" 207 FLORIDA 79 M 68 Expert's Take

Kyle Orton QB 6'4" 233 PURDUE 79  69 Expert's Take

Stanley Wilson DC 5'11" 185 STANFORD 79  70 Expert's Take

Terrence Murphy WR 6'0" 202 TEXAS A&M 79  71 Expert's Take

Chris Colmer OT 6'5" 310 NORTH CAROLINA ST 79 D 72 Expert's Take

Josh Bullocks DS 6'0" 209 NEBRASKA 79  73 Expert's Take

Chris Kemoeatu OG 6'3" 344 UTAH 79 CD 74 Expert's Take

Matt Jones WR 6'6" 242 ARKANSAS 78 CY 75 Expert's Take

Jovan Haye DE 6'2" 284 VANDERBILT 78  76 Expert's Take

Benjamin Wilkerson OC 6'3" 292 LOUISIANA STATE 78 I 77 Expert's Take

Michael Munoz OT 6'5" 306 TENNESSEE 78 D 78 Expert's Take

Domonique Foxworth DC 5'11" 184 MARYLAND 78  79 Expert's Take

Joel Dreessen TE 6'4" 260 COLORADO STATE 78  80 Expert's Take

C.J. Mosley DT 6'2" 314 MISSOURI 77  81 Expert's Take

Sean Considine DS 6'0" 212 IOWA 77  82 Expert's Take

Michael Boley OLB 6'2" 236 SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI 77 B 83 Expert's Take

Courtney Roby WR 6'0" 189 INDIANA 77  84 Expert's Take

Frank Gore RB 6'0" 243 WEST VIRGINIA 76 DM 85 Expert's Take

Darrent Williams DC 5'8" 176 OKLAHOMA STATE 75 BCD 86 Expert's Take

Oshiomogho Atogwe DS 5'11" 219 STANFORD 74  87 Expert's Take

Wesley Britt OT 6'8" 314 ALABAMA 74 BD 88 Expert's Take

Ronald Fields DT 3'2" 313 MISSISSIPPI STATE 74 S 89 Expert's Take

Evan Mathis OG 6'5" 304 ALABAMA 74  90 Expert's Take

Mark Bradley WR 6'1" 201 OKLAHOMA 74 M 91 Expert's Take

Kevin Everett TE 6'4" 250 MIAMI (FLA.) 74 CD 92 Expert's Take

Darren Sproles RB 5'9" 208 KANSAS STATE 73 DM 93 Expert's Take

Nick Kaczur OG 6'4" 319 TOLEDO 73 A 94 Expert's Take

Vincent Fuller DS 6'1" 189 VIRGINIA TECH 73 B 95 Expert's Take

Derek Anderson QB 6'6" 242 OREGON STATE 73  96 Expert's Take

Ryan Moats RB 5'11" 221 MINNESOTA 72 B 97 Expert's Take

Lance Mitchell ILB 6'2" 247 OKLAHOMA 72 D 98 Expert's Take

Anthony Davis RB 5'6" 187 KANSAS STATE 71 B 99 Expert's Take

Vincent Jackson WR 6'4" 241 NORTHERN COLORADO 71  100 Expert's Take

Scott Starks DC 5'8" 172 WISCONSIN 71 B 101 Expert's Take

Jason Brown OC 6'2" 313 NORTH CAROLINA 71 S 102 Expert's Take

Darrell Shropshire DT 6'2" 301 SOUTH CAROLINA 71  103 Expert's Take

Jeremy Parquet OT 6'6" 323 SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI 71  104 Expert's Take

Matt McCoy OLB 5'11" 234 SAN DIEGO STATE 71 B 105 Expert's Take

David Greene QB 6'3" 226 GEORGIA 70  106 Expert's Take

Mike Nugent PK 5'9" 182 OHIO STATE 70  107 Expert's Take

Kay-Jay Harris RB 5'6" 200 WISCONSIN 70 BCD 108 Expert's Take

Claude Terrell OG 6'2" 343 NEW MEXICO 70 S 109 Expert's Take

David Stewart OT 6'6" 314 MISSISSIPPI STATE 70  110 Expert's Take

Donte Nicholson DS 6'0" 212 OKLAHOMA 70  111 Expert's Take

Here is last years list

LARRY FITZGERALD WR 6'2" 221 PITTSBURGH 99  1 Expert's Take

ROBERT GALLERY OT 6'7" 323 IOWA 99  2 Expert's Take

SEAN TAYLOR DS 6'2" 228 MIAMI (FLA.) 99 C 3 Expert's Take

BEN ROETHLISBERGER QB 6'4" 241 MIAMI (OHIO) 99  4 Expert's Take

ELI MANNING QB 6'4" 221 MISSISSIPPI 98  5 Expert's Take

ROY WILLIAMS WR 6'2" 211 TEXAS 98  6 Expert's Take

KELLEN WINSLOW TE 6'3" 247 MIAMI (FLA.) 97 C 7 Expert's Take

DEANGELO HALL DC 5'10" 202 VIRGINIA TECH 97  8 Expert's Take

KENECHI UDEZE DE 6'2" 273 USC 97  9 Expert's Take

MIKE WILLIAMS WR 6'5" 230 USC 97  10 Expert's Take

VINCE WILFORK DT 6'1" 323 MIAMI (FLA.) 97  11 Expert's Take

DUNTA ROBINSON DC 5'10" 186 SOUTH CAROLINA 96  12 Expert's Take

WILL SMITH DE 6'2" 267 OHIO STATE 96  13 Expert's Take

PHILIP RIVERS QB 6'4" 224 NORTH CAROLINA ST 95  14 Expert's Take

TOMMIE HARRIS DT 6'2" 292 OKLAHOMA 95  15 Expert's Take

REGGIE WILLIAMS WR 6'3" 229 WASHINGTON 95  16 Expert's Take

STEVEN JACKSON RB 6'2" 231 OREGON STATE 95  17 Expert's Take

LEE EVANS WR 5'10" 197 WISCONSIN 94 CD 18 Expert's Take

D.J. WILLIAMS OLB 6'0" 250 MIAMI (FLA.) 93  19 Expert's Take

SHAWN ANDREWS OT 6'4" 345 ARKANSAS 93 BC 20 Expert's Take

CHRIS GAMBLE DC 6'1" 196 OHIO STATE 92  21 Expert's Take

JONATHAN VILMA ILB 6'0" 233 MIAMI (FLA.) 92 BD 22 Expert's Take

MICHAEL CLAYTON WR 6'2" 209 LSU 92  23 Expert's Take

KEVIN JONES RB 5'11" 224 VIRGINIA TECH 92  24 Expert's Take

BEN TROUPE TE 6'4" 262 FLORIDA 91  25 Expert's Take

MARCUS TUBBS DT 6'4" 321 TEXAS 90  26 Expert's Take

KARLOS DANSBY OLB 6'3" 247 AUBURN 90  27 Expert's Take

MIKE JENKINS WR 6'4" 217 OHIO STATE 90  28 Expert's Take

RASHAUN WOODS WR 6'2" 200 OKLAHOMA STATE 89  29 Expert's Take

J.P LOSMAN QB 6'2" 224 TULANE 89 C 30 Expert's Take

VERNON CAREY OG 6'4" 335 MIAMI (FLA.) 89  31 Expert's Take

RANDY STARKS DT 6'3" 313 MARYLAND 89  32 Expert's Take

JAKE GROVE OC 6'3" 300 VIRGINIA TECH 89  33 Expert's Take

CHRIS PERRY RB 5'11" 220 MICHIGAN 89  34 Expert's Take

AHMAD CARROLL DC 5'10" 189 ARKANSAS 89 C 35 Expert's Take

BENJAMIN WATSON TE 6'3" 258 GEORGIA 89  36 Expert's Take

SEAN JONES DS 6'1" 215 GEORGIA 89  37 Expert's Take

DARNELL DOCKETT DT 6'3" 295 FLORIDA STATE 88 BC 38 Expert's Take

MARQUISE HILL DE 6'6" 296 LSU 87 S 39 Expert's Take

DARYL SMITH ILB 6'1" 234 GEORGIA TECH 87  40 Expert's Take

WILL POOLE DC 5'10" 184 USC 86 C 41 Expert's Take

JUSTIN SMILEY OG 6'3" 302 ALABAMA 86  42 Expert's Take

JASON BABIN DE 6'2" 258 WESTERN MICHIGAN 86 B 43 Expert's Take

DEVERY HENDERSON WR 5'11" 196 LSU 86 E 44 Expert's Take

MICHAEL BOULWARE OLB 6'2" 227 FLORIDA STATE 86 B 45 Expert's Take

KELLY BUTLER OT 6'7" 324 PURDUE 86 C 46 Expert's Take

DARRION SCOTT DE 6'3" 289 OHIO STATE 85  47 Expert's Take

JACOB ROGERS OT 6'6" 307 USC 85 D 48 Expert's Take

TEDDY LEHMAN OLB 6'1" 237 OKLAHOMA 85  49 Expert's Take

RICARDO COLCLOUGH DC 5'10" 194 TUSCULUM 85  50 Expert's Take

Name Pos. Ht. Wt. School Grade Alert Rank Comment

GREG JONES RB 6'1" 249 FLORIDA STATE 85 D 51 Expert's Take

DONNELL WASHINGTON DT 6'5" 323 CLEMSON 84  52 Expert's Take

ANTWAN ODOM DE 6'5" 274 ALABAMA 83  53 Expert's Take

DWAN EDWARDS DT 6'3" 319 OREGON STATE 83  54 Expert's Take

KEARY COLBERT WR 6'0" 207 USC 83  55 Expert's Take

MATT WARE DC 6'2" 209 UCLA 82  56 Expert's Take

ISAAC SOPOAGA DT 6'2" 314 HAWAII 81  57 Expert's Take

DERRICK STRAIT DC 5'11" 198 OKLAHOMA 81 D 58 Expert's Take

ROBERT SANDERS DS 5'8" 204 IOWA 81 B 59 Expert's Take

NAT DORSEY OT 6'6" 314 GEORGIA TECH 81  60 Expert's Take

JOEY THOMAS DC 6'1" 194 MONTANA STATE 80 C 61 Expert's Take

CHRIS SNEE OG 6'2" 314 BOSTON COLLEGE 80  62 Expert's Take

TRAVELLE WHARTON OT 6'3" 311 SOUTH CAROLINA 80 D 63 Expert's Take

TRAVIS LABOY DE 6'3" 258 HAWAII 80 BC 64 Expert's Take

MATT SCHAUB QB 6'5" 233 VIRGINIA 80  65 Expert's Take

SHAWNTAE SPENCER DC 6'0" 176 PITTSBURGH 79  66 Expert's Take

IGOR OLSHANSKY DT 6'5" 318 OREGON 79  67 Expert's Take

P.K. SAM WR 6'3" 204 FLORIDA STATE 79  68 Expert's Take

MAURICE CLARETT RB 5'11" 230 OHIO STATE 79 CD 69 Expert's Take

KEITH SMITH DC 5'11" 200 MCNEESE STATE 78  70 Expert's Take

MAX STARKS OT 6'7" 337 FLORIDA 78 S 71 Expert's Take

BERNARD BERRIAN WR 6'1" 183 FRESNO STATE 78 D 72 Expert's Take

DEMORRIO WILLIAMS OLB 6'0" 232 NEBRASKA 78 B 73 Expert's Take

DAVE BALL DE 6'5" 274 UCLA 78 S 74 Expert's Take

DONTARRIOUS THOMAS ILB 6'2" 244 AUBURN 78  75 Expert's Take

TATUM BELL RB 5'11" 213 OKLAHOMA STATE 78 B 76 Expert's Take

CHRIS COOLEY TE 6'3" 262 UTAH STATE 78  77 Expert's Take

MATTHIAS ASKEW DT 6'5" 301 MICHIGAN STATE 77  78 Expert's Take

ISAAC HILTON DE 6'3" 267 HAMPTON 77 BC 79 Expert's Take

STUART SCHWEIGERT DS 6'1" 215 PURDUE 77  80 Expert's Take

JUNIOR SIAVII DT 6'4" 340 OREGON 76 C 81 Expert's Take

JULIUS JONES RB 5'9" 214 NOTRE DAME 76 BM 82 Expert's Take

DERRICK HAMILTON WR 6'2" 194 CLEMSON 76  83 Expert's Take

JEREMY LESUEUR DC 6'0" 197 MICHIGAN 75  84 Expert's Take

SEAN LOCKLEAR OG 6'3" 300 NORTH CAROLINA ST 75  85 Expert's Take

ERNEST WILFORD WR 6'3" 226 VIRGINIA TECH 75  86 Expert's Take

MADIEU WILLIAMS DS 6'0" 190 MARYLAND 74  87 Expert's Take

ROBERT (BO) SCHOBEL DE 6'5" 260 TCU 74  88 Expert's Take

ADRIAN JONES OT 6'4" 302 KANSAS 74 B 89 Expert's Take

TIM ANDERSON DT 6'3" 307 OHIO STATE 73  90 Expert's Take

NATHAN VASHER DC 5'10" 177 TEXAS 72 B 91 Expert's Take

TERRY JOHNSON DT 6'2" 304 WASHINGTON 71 D 92 Expert's Take

JOHNNIE MORANT WR 6'4" 224 SYRACUSE 72 C 93 Expert's Take

NATE KAEDING PK 6'0" 187 IOWA 72  94 Expert's Take

WILL ALLEN DS 6'0" 202 OHIO STATE 73  95 Expert's Take

SHAUN PHILLIPS DE 6'3" 253 PURDUE 73 BD 96 Expert's Take

KRIS WILSON TE 6'1" 248 PITTSBURGH 73 B 97 Expert's Take

KEYARON FOX OLB 6'2" 229 GEORGIA TECH 71  98 Expert's Take

BEN HARTSOCK TE 6'4" 263 OHIO STATE 71  99 Expert's Take

MEWELDE MOORE RB 5'10" 208 TULANE 70  100 Expert's Take

Name Pos. Ht. Wt. School Grade Alert Rank Comment

DEVARD DARLING WR 6'1" 212 WASHINGTON STATE 70  101 Expert's Take

KEIWAN RATLIFF DC 5'10" 193 FLORIDA 70  102 Expert's Take

ALEX STEPANOVICH OC 6'3" 304 OHIO STATE 70 D 103 Expert's Take

The 44th pick is Marcus Johnson OT 6'6" 321 MISSISSIPPI 87 S 44 Expert's Take

Marcus Johnson

OT | (6'6", 321, 5.6) | MISSISSIPPI

Scouts Grade: 87

Flags: (S: SPEED) Player lacks ideal speed at position

View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History 

You are signed into Insider  and have access to the exclusive draft content below. 

Strengths: Has terrific size and the frame to continue to get bigger. He has the size to engulf most DL if he gets in position. Takes good angles, is technically sound and disciplined. He plays with good toughness and is a feisty blocker that will work to finish. Shows good initial quickness for his size. Plays with leverage and fires off the ball low for such a tall offensive lineman. He is an experienced and durable player with very good savvy and awareness in pass pro. He has good quickness in his pass pro set. Is extremely difficult to get around in the short area because of his size and wingspan. He plays with good balance and body control in pass pro. He has long arms and shows good hand placement. If his upper body strength improves he can really become dominant after he locks on.

Weaknesses: He has adequate quickness in the short area but he's not a great athlete. Doesn't have great speed and the more room he's asked to cover the less effective he will become. Will struggle at times in space as a reach blocker. Has very minimal experience at OT position. Is quick in the short area but lacks great mobility. Will he be able to hold up on an island against NFL pass rushers if he moves outside to ROT at the next level? Has improved his strength but it's still not ideal. He can engulf defenders but doesn't show enough explosive initial pop or power.

Overall: Johnson redshirted in 2000 and played in a rotation at right guard as a redshirt freshman in 2001 before taking over as a fulltime starting right guard in his 2002 sophomore season. Johnson finished his career at Ole Miss as a four-year fulltime starter with 48-consecutive starts to his credit. He spent some time at OT because of injuries in 2004 but he spent the majority of his collegiate career at right guard. Johnson has impressive feet for his size and he is a technically sound, durable and consistent lineman with the size to engulf most defenders. He is coming off his most complete season and really improved his draft value as a senior. The big question now is whether or not Johnson can make the transition to tackle in the NFL? While we think there's a decent chance of him making it as a right tackle, we do believe that he's a much better fit inside. He doesn't have explosive upper body power and he also is much more comfortable in the short area than he is playing on the perimeter, where he doesn't have great mobility in that much space. Regardless, Johnson projects as a second round prospect with some versatility to back up both positions early in his career and the potential to develop into a solid starter in the near future.

Get 'er done, TD!

BTW...the 55th pick is

Charlie Frye QB 6'3" 225 AKRON 85  55 Expert's Take

Charlie Frye

QB | (6'3", 225, 4.82) | AKRON

Scouts Grade: 85

View by: Round | Player | NCAA School | Position | NFL Team | Flag | All Ranked Players | NFL Draft History 

You are signed into Insider  and have access to the exclusive draft content below. 

Career Totals Passing Rushing

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT ATT YDS AVG TD

2004 220 346 2623 63.6 7.6 18 8 38 139.8 100 -6 -0.1 2

2003 273 421 3549 64.8 8.4 22 9 31 148.6 111 288 2.6 7

2002 250 380 2824 65.8 7.4 15 9 33 136.5 102 125 1.2 7

2001 170 289 2053 58.8 7.1 9 6 19 124.6 62 212 3.4 3

· View full player card

Strengths: Adequate arm strength. Has always been a sound decision-maker. Will take some chances, especially when on the run. However, he shows a consistent ability to make progression reads and check down. He has good vision and doesn't get caught locking onto his primary target much. Is more consistent underneath and over the middle. Throws a "catchable" ball to backs on "wheel" routes. Adequate but not great speed and overall athletic ability. Is a good athlete with quick feet. Buys a lot of second-chance passing opportunities. Gets set up quickly and gets a deep drop. Throws well on the run and makes a lot of things happen after the initial play breaks down. Is especially productive inside red zone. A high-character player and hard worker. Leader with great overall intangibles. Never missed a start in four seasons. Is extremely intelligent and a natural leader. Picked up new scheme quickly as a senior. Is a tough player that played through pain and took a lot of hits. Played through a hip-pointer.

Weaknesses: Arm strength is adequate but not nearly as good as it seems versus slower competition on film. Needs to have good timing on the deep ball. Gets adequate but not great RPM's on the deep out. Can make all the NFL throws but won't be able to fit the ball into some tight spots that QB's with elite arm strength posses. Needs to improve his delivery. Ball starts too low and, as a result, it takes too long to get from set point to release point. Shows some touch on deep ball but timing is inconsistent. Needs to get rid of the ball quicker by making better reads during drop.

Overall: Frye, who has been a starter since his redshirt freshman season in 2001 and set the Zips' single season passing record in 2003 with 3,549 yards, seriously considered forgoing his senior year in order to make himself available for the 2004 NFL draft. Lee Owens, who recruited Frye and was the head coach at Akron for Frye's first three seasons, was fired at the end of the 2003 season, which was the main reason why Frye is contemplating the move. However, he made a wise decision to return to school for his senior season for a few good reasons most importantly that he needed the extra experience that he got as a senior. Frye's supporting cast was not nearly as strong in 2004 as it was previously, but he showed a lot of toughness, durability and leadership skills. He also has impressed with his mental capacity after quickly digesting the new offensive scheme. In terms of overall production, Frye rewrote Akron's record books at the quarterback position, throwing for 11,049 yards and 64 TD's compared to just 32 INT's as a four-year starter. Frye is a "gamer" that doesn't necessarily wow you with his natural skills but finds ways to get the job done. He has good size above average athletic ability and adequate arm strength. In terms of physical tools and development, Frye is a notch below the three former MAC quarterbacks that have succeeded him in the NFL -- Chad Pennington (Jets), Byron Leftwich (Jaguars) and Ben Roethlisberger (Steelers) but he is still a talented overall quarterback with the potential to develop into a starter at the next level. There are several quarterbacks competing to be the third taken after juniors' Aaron Rodgers (Cal) and Alex Smith (Utah). Frye is among the leading candidates and, at the very least, should be one of the top-five quarterbacks to come off the board, likely between the second round and early-third.

290474[/snapback]