TE Love for early picks in draft .. not me

kelce, ertz and kittle drafted 2nd round, 3rd round and 5th round respectively.

These guys might be more of a product of their OC and QB creating plays specifically to get them the ball as the first read than pure talent.    

Look at Ebron with Andrew Luck now.   Same thing with OJ Howard, if you put that guy in the right environment he might become a game changer instead of a guy who was overdrafted.

22 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think tight ends are really difficult to project. The way tight ends are used in college is a little different these days as a lot of them really can't block. Why is it that Zach Ertz is so amazing but guys like Gavin Escobar or Troy Niklas flame out? 

It really is about fit in a system and how the tight end is going to be used. And talent of course. So I think a tight end in the top ten is a very risky proposition, because it really is a boom or bust pick, like Eric Ebron. However, there is a ton of value that can be found late first round, early second. 

With all of that said, TJ Hockenson is the real deal. Would I take him at 9? Not sure yet, but if we are going to make him a focal point of our offense, then I'd be all for it. I think you have to find the right fit and then make a concentrated effort to make the guy a main part of your offense, like KC and Philly have done with Kelce and Ertz. 

And BTW, the history of top ten offensive lineman over the past few years is way worse than the history of tight ends on the first two days of the draft. People continue to reach on mediocre offensive linemen, passing on elite talent. Don't do it. No elite offensive lineman in this draft. 

Admittedly I have not done a hard look at TJ .. just was referring to past top TE picks . but your comments intrigue me so will look .. that said .. guess my take comes from the fact that we have admittedly 3 maybe 4 (depending on thoughts on Teller) holes on our OL ... granted many OL draft busts like you indicate over the years ... but at the end of the day the TE is only one position and frankly needs more time than a WR on a slant pattern to get open .. so if no OL talent .. the TE may struggle to produce

• Like (+1) 1

Pick #9 is too high for a TE unless one of them shoots to the top of the board between now and the draft.  I still hope Bills can trade down in the first to get an extra 2 or 3.  That looks to be the area where the most value might be in this draft.  In fact, I also hope they use some of there latter draft choices to move up into the 2, 3, 4 range.  They have a lot of options this year and we know Beane is not afraid of moving up or down to get what they want.

16 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Day 2 pick if they like someone who is there..

Would be great if they had three Day 2 picks instead of two..

I'm going to hope we do trade down a bit in the 1st and get an extra 2 (3 would be nice but)....if it's a trade with wash. and we get an extra 2nd...

our first pick in the 2nd will be a trade up to the beginning of the round for Hakeem Butler.  ( using the pick from Wash. and a 4th)

Our original 2nd rd. pick will be Irv Smith jr. te Alabama.  I would bet money he's on this roster next year. I think we'll start with 4 and either weed out Thomas or cut Clay.

Btw I would package a 5,6 and 7th or future pick to get and extra 3rd....where I take Jenkins and Ximines.

Rd. 1 Greg Little ...but if it were me , I would def. take Montez Sweat. I Between him and Ximines, we could have two great ends for the future not to mention a replacement for Lorax ( and Hughes ), with and even better pass rush capability.

( I'm hoping we can upgrade at center and rt via fa.... unless we can somehow land Trent Brown and move Dion over.)

Rd. 2  Hakeem Butler wr

Irv Smith jr.  te

Rd. 3  Jenkins c

Ximines  edge

I'd say that's a pretty realistic list. I took most of the positional rankings from cbs sports draft prospect top 50.

( I'd also like to add Isabella.)

Edited by billsredneck1