Why was there never an AFL-CIO boycott

Dunno. Why do people drive their foreign cars to Wal-Mart to buy everything Chinese, Taiwanese, Indian, Indonesian and so forth, and then exclaim "Damn this President! He's taking work away from Americans!"?

21660[/snapback]

I don't know? I don't shop there.

I am surprised that they don't go after them for the price fixing/collusion at their gas pumps.

I don't see why they don't boycott it? I think the HillBillys would storm the pickets?

Didn't Hillary sit on the WalMart Board at one time?

Candy everybody wants... We give 'em what they want.

They are noted for being fiercely anti-union and have been sued countless times for discrimination, and making people work extra hours for no money.

Are unions today SO weak that they would not attempt such a move?

21629[/snapback]

Money.

I don't know how, but it's the AFL-CIO. It has something to do with money. If there were profit in it for them, they'd do it.

>>>Didn't Hillary sit on the WalMart Board at one time?<<<

Yes, and it was very honest of you to bring this up.  ;)  B)

21732[/snapback]

Bill you seem like a "Homegrown Democrat" to me??

Enjoy!

Homegrown

His Minnesota boyhood and the putative values of his state allow novelist and NPR favorite Keillor to conjure up a heartwarming case for liberalism, if not necessarily the Democratic Party platform. "[T]he social compact is still intact here," he writes of life in St. Paul, summing up attacks on that compact in a Menckenesque rant: "hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based economists...." Liberalism, Keillor declares, "is the politics of kindness," and he traces his own ideology to his kindly aunts and his access to good public education, including a land-grant university. Though he criticizes Democrats for losing touch with their principles, as when they support the drug war, he catalogues "What Do-Gooder Democrats Have Done for You," from civil rights to clean air, though he acknowledges, "The great hole in the compact is health care." "The good democrat," he declares, distrusts privilege and power, believes in equality, supports unions, and is individualist—"identity politics is Pundit Speak," he notes, which might get him in trouble with some interest groups. "Democrats are thought to be weak on foreign policy... but what we fear is arrogance," he writes, in a chapter notably short on prescription. Near the end, he offers another potent monologue, if not a rant, about September 11 and Bush's "Achtung Department" (aka Homeland Security). It doesn't all hang together—heck, Keillor's so loosy-goosey, he begins most chapters with a limerick—but call this Prairie Home Companion meets Air America.

In a book that is at once deeply personal and intellectually savvy, Homegrown Democrat is a celebration of liberalism as the "politics of kindness." In his inimitable style, Keillor draws on a lifetime of experience amongst the hardworking, God- fearing people of the Midwest and pays homage to the common code of civic necessities that arose from the left: Protect the social compact. Defend the powerless. Maintain government as a necessary force for good. As Keillor tells it, these are articles of faith that are being attacked by hard-ass Republican tax cutters who believe that human misery is a Dickensian fiction. In a blend of nostalgic reminiscence, humorous meditation, and articulate ire, Keillor asserts the values of his boyhood—the values of Lake Wobegon— that do not square with the ugly narcissistic agenda at work in the country today. A thoughtful, wonderfully written book, Homegrown Democrat is Keillor’s love letter to liberalism, the older generation, John F. Kennedy, the University of Minnesota, and the yellow-dog Democrat city of St. Paul that is sure to amuse and inspire Americans just when they need it most.

Bill you seem like a "Homegrown Democrat" to me??

Enjoy!

Homegrown

His Minnesota boyhood and the putative values of his state allow novelist and NPR favorite Keillor to conjure up a heartwarming case for liberalism, if not necessarily the Democratic Party platform. "[T]he social compact is still intact here," he writes of life in St. Paul, summing up attacks on that compact in a Menckenesque rant: "hairy-backed swamp developers and corporate shills, faith-based economists...." Liberalism, Keillor declares, "is the politics of kindness," and he traces his own ideology to his kindly aunts and his access to good public education, including a land-grant university. Though he criticizes Democrats for losing touch with their principles, as when they support the drug war, he catalogues "What Do-Gooder Democrats Have Done for You," from civil rights to clean air, though he acknowledges, "The great hole in the compact is health care." "The good democrat," he declares, distrusts privilege and power, believes in equality, supports unions, and is individualist—"identity politics is Pundit Speak," he notes, which might get him in trouble with some interest groups. "Democrats are thought to be weak on foreign policy... but what we fear is arrogance," he writes, in a chapter notably short on prescription. Near the end, he offers another potent monologue, if not a rant, about September 11 and Bush's "Achtung Department" (aka Homeland Security). It doesn't all hang together—heck, Keillor's so loosy-goosey, he begins most chapters with a limerick—but call this Prairie Home Companion meets Air America.

In a book that is at once deeply personal and intellectually savvy, Homegrown Democrat is a celebration of liberalism as the "politics of kindness." In his inimitable style, Keillor draws on a lifetime of experience amongst the hardworking, God- fearing people of the Midwest and pays homage to the common code of civic necessities that arose from the left: Protect the social compact. Defend the powerless. Maintain government as a necessary force for good. As Keillor tells it, these are articles of faith that are being attacked by hard-ass Republican tax cutters who believe that human misery is a Dickensian fiction. In a blend of nostalgic reminiscence, humorous meditation, and articulate ire, Keillor asserts the values of his boyhood—the values of Lake Wobegon— that do not square with the ugly narcissistic agenda at work in the country today. A thoughtful, wonderfully written book, Homegrown Democrat is Keillor’s love letter to liberalism, the older generation, John F. Kennedy, the University of Minnesota, and the yellow-dog Democrat city of St. Paul that is sure to amuse and inspire Americans just when they need it most.

21799[/snapback]

Thanks, I guess. ;)

I am anything but a democrat. If you lived in this neck of the woods and observed those who purport themselves to be "liberal," perhaps you would not be one either.

EIL, it is the NY Liberals who come after bells on ice cream trucks, smoking in BARS, and loud air conditioners, this after an attack which killed thousands of our citizens. They also turned out in record numbers to vote down a qualified African American in the most recent election for governor, this in an election where they voted in Hillary and a white attorney general.

Liberalism (generally speaking) sounds good in theory but sucks when put into practice. I find the American left to be differing combinations of intolerant, idealistic, holier than thou, racist, anarchistic fools. The RNC sort of upholds my statement, no?

Wal Mart shoppers = economic cannibals

But the AFL-CIO won't do anything about it unless Bush/Cheney say Wal Mart is a proud American institution. If Kerry said the same thing they'd probably encourage all their members to shop there.

I'll stop shopping at Walmart as soon as the drug stores lower their prices to be competitive with them. Why should I pay $2 more every time I want to buy dental or contact lense products. When the drug stores like CVS, Eckerd & Rite Aid start pricing their items fairly I'll be glad to shop there. If you want to pay more for everything and feel good, good for you-I can't afford to throw money out the window because drug stores like to gauge me.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Come to Vermont! Wal-Mart holds no stranglehold on OUR state! YEAH! :doh:

(BTW, this Trust doesn't know that the people of Newport and St. Johnsbury are overwhelmingly AGAINST Wal-Mart's occupation, and the selectmen and reps KNOW that!)

Shameless self-promotion... gotta love it, but it's true!!!!

Vermont struggles with the BIG BEAST

So just what is the AFL-CIO supposed to do? 

I haven't been in a Wal Mart for years and will drive out of my way and pay more elsewhere just to avoid them.  But that's just me.

22437[/snapback]

It's amost impossible to get anywhere near there anyway, let alone park. And trying to wade through all the Mexicans that shop there takes forever.