Beef on Wek ...Where is the Best?

kwe

How predictable ...

The guy said he wants to take his FAMILY somewhere. Maybe your wife feels comfortable taking the kids to a bar to play in the ashtrays and beer on the floor. If she does well Bless Her Heart. I just wanted to offer an option for a FAMILY. My mistake I thought this guy might have a nice family.

Plus, between you and I you know you are full of sh--. Arby's uses some kind of hybird roll of crap they call roast beef. Anderson's has always used 100% roast beef and it has always been great. Get real.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look it is called Bar Bill but it is really just a resturant you can and many people do take kids there......sorry I insulted Andersons but I bet your from Amherst or Williamsville cus no one from the southtowns whould be caught dead in those overpriced rat traps

WAR BAR BILL (P.S. Also home to the Best WINGS IN BUFFALO) dont give me that anchor bar or duffs BS

ANDERSONS SUCKS......Its like Arbys....There is no waty your a real Buffaloian and thinks Andersons is the best Beef...

288727[/snapback]

I got to tell you this guy is right about Anderson's. Last time I went there, the quality of the food was disgusting, in part because it seemed the only people in there running it were all kids. The beef was just about raw. No direction for them in how to PROPERLY prepare food. I'd never go back or recommend it.

Schwabl's is OK, the food quality can be inconsistent. I like the atmosphere, it's like a time warp back 40-50 years ago. I'd recommend Ernie Weber's on South Park in Blasdell. Great food. Just a few blocks away from Fran-Ceil's custard........................now there's another topic!!!

for people not in WNY (e.g. Virginia) -

Glory Days Grill claims to have Beef on Weck -

has anyone had it?  is it good or does it suck?

288463[/snapback]

Have had it, and its okay. I go the Glory Days in the WEst End of Richmond. Another place that has beef on weck in No Va is Greveys, or at least they used to. Another "any port in a storm" beef on weck.

The killer in both these places is they usually do not have fresh horseradish, usaually some sort of sauce or paste, just kills the whole beef on weck experience.

How predictable ...

The guy said he wants to take his FAMILY somewhere.  Maybe your wife feels comfortable taking the kids to a bar to play in the ashtrays and beer on the floor. If she does well Bless Her Heart.  I just wanted to offer an option for a FAMILY.  My mistake I thought this guy might have a nice family.

Plus, between you and I you know you are full of sh--.  Arby's uses some kind of hybird roll of crap they call roast beef.  Anderson's has always used 100% roast beef and it has always been great.  Get real.

288730[/snapback]

You're absolutely correct.

Anderson's is a nice, family oriented place with very reasonable prices.

You won't have any concerns about some grungy looking barfly whose barstool has become a permanent fixture on his ass, eyeballing you, the wife, and kids while you enjoy a meal out.

Previously, I gave a brief overview of the most popular Beef on Weck joints.

Some are more dinner/beer places, Some are better Sunday afternoon after church with the kids places.

I've had Anderson's Carl's Choice BoW as recently as last summer, and it was quite good. Every establishment offers slight differences in rolls, cut of beef or whatever, but bottom line - Anderson's tastes good. Comparing it to Arby's is like comparing La Nova to Pizza Hut.

I'm sure some of the local favorites of the South Buffalo boys are very charming places. It must bring back a lot of great memories from the days when their alchoholic fathers used to babysit them at the corner gin mills all Saturday afternoon, supplying them with quarters to play pinball and that metal disk bowling game in the back room, while dad smoked a couple packs of Camels and downed boiler makers, totally unaware of where the kids were.

Arby's beef seems to be the result of taking a cow, grinding it up, and forming it into loaves. When they first started out, they used roasts. I believe they changed over in the late '60's or early '70's...not sure.

Last I knew, the Roy Roger's chain uses unprocessed beef. No weck, of course.

Off topic, but its off season and the draft is still a month away....Me, the missus and the kids are coming down shopping in the next few weeks... I have never had a "beef on wek" (I apologize if the spelling is wrong)...where do we go, preferably a family friendly establishment,...thanks folks

288418[/snapback]

My wife won't let me eat red meat or fried foods. <_<

My vote goes to Charlie the Butcher, who is also a great guy.

That said, you carnivores should probably eschew the beef of weck for the greatest burger on the planet, at Grover's a few miles north of Clarence Mall on Transit Road. They are truly incredible, enormous, real meat, not expensive, the best I have ever had. The bar/restaurant is always packed all day everyday because of them. A true jewel.

My vote goes to Charlie the Butcher, who is also a great guy.

That said, you carnivores should probably eschew the beef of weck for the greatest burger on the planet, at Grover's a few miles north of Clarence Mall on Transit Road. They are truly incredible, enormous, real meat, not expensive, the best I have ever had. The bar/restaurant is always packed all day everyday because of them. A true jewel.

288889[/snapback]

True dat.

Grover's does have great burgers! Used to have decent wings back when it was known as Knarf's. It may still. Nice summertime casual dining atmosphere.

Best part is there's none of the Southtowns riff-raff - just the occasional Depewian attempting to "ex-cape" and try something besides Good Tymes on Main St.

Yep, nothing but us rich Amherst northern 'burb patrons, often coming for a bite after a round of golf at the Buffalo CC or Transit Valley. Gotta love that!

For a guy who's lived in Atlanta almost 20 years, I sure know a lot about Buffalo area dining, huh? I think I go back there just for the food.

True dat.

Grover's does have great burgers! Used to have decent wings back when it was known as Knarf's. It may still. Nice summertime casual dining atmosphere.

Best part is there's none of the Southtowns riff-raff - just the occasional Depewian attempting to "ex-cape" and try something besides Good Tymes on Main St.

Yep, nothing but us rich Amherst northern 'burb patrons, often coming for a bite after a round of golf at the Buffalo CC or Transit Valley. Gotta love that!

For a guy who's lived in Atlanta almost 20 years, I sure know a lot about Buffalo area dining, huh?  I think I go back there just for the food.

288934[/snapback]

I've lived in the South for over 30 years, and I KNOW I go back for the food. My Southern wife was an instant convert and can't wait to go again. We'd both weigh 50 pounds more if we ever moved back, however.

Have had it, and its okay. I go the Glory Days in the WEst End of Richmond. Another place that has beef on weck in No Va is Greveys, or at least they used to. Another "any port in a storm" beef on weck.

The killer in both these places is they usually do not have fresh horseradish, usaually some sort of sauce or paste, just kills the whole beef on weck experience.

288767[/snapback]

I have also had it from the Glory Days in the West End. It was extremely salty. The roll was good, but the beef was weak.

Look it is called Bar Bill but it is really just a resturant you can and many people do take kids there......sorry I insulted Andersons but I bet your from Amherst or Williamsville cus no one from the southtowns whould be caught dead in those overpriced rat traps

WAR BAR BILL (P.S. Also home to the Best WINGS IN BUFFALO) dont give me that anchor bar or duffs BS

288732[/snapback]

Totally agree 100%... Bar Bill is the real deal in WNY!

Well, there is a place here in Florida that has a pretty good B on W. It’s called Nickel City Bar and Grill. Always good while watching a Bill’s game. Its the best that I’ve found here in Florida, at least near where I live.

289426[/snapback]

I spent a helluva lotta time there the week of the Bills first Super Bowl, and actually brought a VHS tape of the sound 51-3 thrashing of the Raiders in the AFC Championship that the guys at the bar played over and over all week on the TVs. That place was great. I think the dude who owns it is from Buffalo.

for people not in WNY (e.g. Virginia) -

Glory Days Grill claims to have Beef on Weck -

has anyone had it?  is it good or does it suck?

288463[/snapback]

Never tried it there. I have only been there a couple times, the one in Woodbridge, and had wings both times. Very soggy and not tasty. If the weck is as bad as the wings then it would be horrible.