Beef on Wek ...Where is the Best?

kwe

Off topic, but its off season and the draft is still a month away....Me, the missus and the kids are coming down shopping in the next few weeks... I have never had a "beef on wek" (I apologize if the spelling is wrong)...where do we go, preferably a family friendly establishment,...thanks folks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic, but its off season and the draft is still a month away....Me, the missus and the kids are coming down shopping in the next few weeks... I have never had a "beef on wek" (I apologize if the spelling is wrong)...where do we go, preferably a family friendly establishment,...thanks folks

288418[/snapback]

Schawbl's is one of the area favorites and probably has one of the best reputations for their Beef on Weck. Even saw it featured on a Food Network show about regional favorites.

Like anything else, some will have other favorite places they're familiar with, but Schwabl's is well known throughout Western New York for their high quality beef on weck.

BTW - for anyone flying in to or out of the Buffalo Airport, there's a place in the main concourse, right next to the Airtran gate, that sells pretty good, freshly sliced, beef on weck.

Here's a link for Schwabl's...

http://buffalo.citysearch.com/profile/7751...k=cs_boc_lw_2_1

Schawbl's is one of the area favorites and probably has one of the best reputations for their Beef on Weck. Even saw it featured on a Food Network show about regional favorites.

Like anything else, some will have other favorite places they're familiar with, but Schwabl's is well known throughout Western New York for their high quality beef on weck.

BTW - for anyone flying in to or out of the Buffalo Airport, there's a place in the main concourse, right next to the Airtran gate, that sells pretty good, freshly sliced, beef on weck.

288430[/snapback]

Glad to hear they are still in business. Used to make excellent potatoe pancakes too.

P.S. I entered a recipe for making Kummelweck rolls in the Recipe section some time ago (it's a clickable at the top of the page). It's a good one that uses potatoes and potatoe starch.

Schawbl's sounds good; never been there, but I don't think I could order a beef on weck over their fish fry. Just sounds too damn good.

Someone who still lives in Buffalo should be able to tell you if the Anderson's beef on weck is good. It's a Buffalo fast food joint, kind of like a Dairy Queen. I grew up near the Sheridan Drive one, but the only thing I ever went there for was a lemon ice or a custard. Anderson's Custard

Schawbl's sounds good; never been there, but I don't think I could order a beef on weck over their fish fry. Just sounds too damn good.

Someone who still lives in Buffalo should be able to tell you if the Anderson's beef on weck is good. It's a Buffalo fast food joint, kind of like a Dairy Queen. I grew up near the Sheridan Drive one, but the only thing I ever went there for was a lemon ice or a custard. Anderson's Custard

288457[/snapback]

I'm all Veggie now, but Andersen's used to have the best BOW.

288418[/snapback]

Is SLOMBBA's still there??

McPartland's in Lockport and Anderson's over on Sheridan drive, have excellent beef on weck! I haven't been to either in a few years (moved from Buffalo in 1989), but I remember them well...McPartlands (still there, my folks still go there regularly) has a killer fish fry as well! God, I miss the food in WNY.....

I like Charlie the Butcher and the airport's is actually very good.

288430[/snapback]

0:)

I like Charlie the Butcher and the airport's is actually very good.

288534[/snapback]

We sampled several on our visit to Buffalo last Summer. Surprisingly, we agreed that the best one was the one we had while grocery shopping at Wegman's! Just baked roll!

Schwabl's was a favorite many years ago when I lived there - I'm happy to know it is still around. We also liked the Eagle House in Williamsville for beef on weck.

0:)

We sampled several on our visit to Buffalo last Summer. Surprisingly, we agreed that the best one was the one we had while grocery shopping at Wegman's! Just baked roll!

Schwabl's was a favorite many years ago when I lived there - I'm happy to know it is still around. We also liked the Eagle House in Williamsville for beef on weck.

288546[/snapback]

Charlie The Butcher is another one well known for their famous BOW.

The Wegman's beef in weck is actually Charlie the Butcher selling their BOW through the grocery store.

http://www.wegmans.com/about/pressRoom/pre...eTheButcher.asp

Anderson's still has very good BOW, and is reasonably priced. Get the big one - Carl's Choice.

http://www.andersonscustard.com/menu.html

Haven't been to McPartland's in years, but they used to have very good Beef on Weck, but were better known for their Friday fish fry. Never heard of one in Lockport. The McPartland's that I know is on Wehrle Dr in Williamsville. Always crowded and you'll probably have a 60 year old waitress with a thick Buffalo accent and she'll call you "hon" about a dozen times.

Not sure if I ever had the Eagle House BOW, but I sure had a lot of beer there before I was legal.

One of the great things about Buffalo is tradition and continuity. Most of these places have been around forever and are or were family owned. The Eagle House has been on Main St in Williamsville since the mid 1800's. Don't know how long Schwabl's has been in business, but the column from the previous link said they moved to their current location in 1942. Anderson's has been in business as long as I can remember - I believe since the 40's or 50's.

All these places are good and you can't go wrong.

If you want a cozy old timey restaurant with checkered table cloths and a staff that can reminisce about the Buffalo Bills of the 60's, check out Schwabl's or even McPartland's. Both are places where you can relax, have a beer, and take in the genuine Buffalo atmosphere, and almost feel like you've stepped back in time.

For something closer to a diner or soda fountain experience, Anderson's is a good choice. Much more modernized than the previously mentioned eateries. More of a fast food place suited more for lunches than dinners. No Alchohol, but for real Buffalo authenticity, you can get a Loganberry drink to go along with your Beef on Weck.

Charlie the Butcher's restaurant (also on Wehrle Dr in Williamsville) is more of a deli or lunch type place.

http://www.digitalcity.com/buffalo/enterta...e.adp?vid=69307

For quick take-out, I guess there's always Wegman's Charlie the Butcher BOW, but for the whole experience, try one of the above mentioned sit downs.

If Beef on Weck is a new thing for you, don't forget to add generous amount of prepared horseradish to the sandwich. If you go to Anderson' you'll need to ask for some on the side. For me, adding ketchup is blasphemous, but a lot of people like it this way.

The beef on weck goes best with steak fries and a dill pickle on the side, and served with a mug of ice cold beer.

Man, I'm getting hungry thinking about this.

KWE - Let us know how it all turned out.

In Buffalo it's definitely Charlie the Butchers.  If you happen to be in Olean, there is a restaurant called "Beef and Barrel" that has a simply outstanding BoW.

288569[/snapback]

Good call. I was going to say Beef and Barrel being from Olean. There's is awesome. I'm coming home on leave in June and that will be one of my first places to go eat. 0:)

Go To Anderson's

This is a GREAT place to take a family ~Anderson's Frozen Custard

The beef is perfect. It is sliced as thin as paper. Not sliced thick with fat snapping back in your face like rubber bands. The rolls are salty good and the Frozen Custard for dessert will be a treat for the kids.

I've included the web address with the many locations.

It is a MUST when I visit my home town. My southern wife was an instant convert.

Take care ~

Surf <_<

Go To Anderson's

This is a GREAT place to take a family ~Anderson's Frozen Custard

The beef is perfect.  It is sliced as thin as paper.  Not sliced thick with fat snapping back in your face like rubber bands.  The rolls are salty good and the Frozen Custard for dessert will be a treat for the kids.

I've included the web address with the many locations.

It is a MUST when I visit my home town.  My southern wife was an instant convert.

Take care ~

Surf  <_<

288720[/snapback]

ANDERSONS SUCKS......Its like Arbys....There is no waty your a real Buffaloian and thinks Andersons is the best Beef...

BAR BILL in East Aurora is the best in the area second is Steves Pig and OX Roast in Lacawanna.......

Andersons ???????? Im sorry but only northtowns rich boys who dont know any better like that crap.