Being screwed by my company

Punching Bag

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

I know some warrior combat vets that have lost body parts..suck it up and eat the *****in g pain.Amputate the toe and then be as productive as you can.

Crying the blues on a internet message board will not get your problems solved.

Man up.

Like you do with your brain injury? You had it amputated?

11 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I was in the VA on Bailey for depression,not a brain injury.Get your facts straight before you try to drag my name into dirty waters.

You seem to have that certain trait...

Johnny went up the hill to ***** the ***** out of Jill,those were Johnny's intentions.

Johnny came back down from the hill...with a bloody tree branch hanging out of his ass.

Ouch!

On 12/30/2018 at 8:24 PM, Limeaid said:

Fortunately even on partial disability I am the best person my boss has on my position and three people have left resulting in him asking me for someone to full empty slot. Even disgruntled and not making full effort I am still his best employee.  I am at a position with very little visibility at operations center not at company office and government customer have lost 2 supervisors in last 9 months so there is no supervision either.  I am often asked what to do by the employees of another contractor and while I am always careful about wording my advice the government customer and prime contractor know they are better off with me than without me.  I am not just going to make the extra effort which normally takes me from 95% to 99% percentile.

Is your boss aware of your ability to create an envelope out of a napkin?  That could easily tip the scales the other way.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Is your boss aware of your ability to create an envelope out of a napkin?  That could easily tip the scales the other way.

No but how did you know?  Worked my regular shift last night to 3 am and just got up.  A couple hours before work and still need to do PT on the machine.

6 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

And??? How did it go? Don’t leave us in suspense. 

Back to work today.  Issue for me is driving rush hour to work and walking in from where I need to park. Yesterday was a slow day with many taking day off and my wife dropped me off and picked me up.  She dropped me off on Saturday as well. I was in bed to 12:30 in afternoon today.  I have major issue walking on wet pavement since my footing is not solid; Virginia has been very wet last few months. Today is holiday so no rush hour traffic and I can park places I normally cannot park so will not be issue I think.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Back to work today.  Issue for me is driving rush hour to work and walking in from where I need to park. Yesterday was a slow day with many taking day off and my wife dropped me off and picked me up.  She dropped me off on Saturday as well. I was in bed to 12:30 in afternoon today.  I have major issue walking on wet pavement since my footing is not solid; Virginia has been very wet last few months. Today is holiday so no rush hour traffic and I can park places I normally cannot park so will not be issue I think.

So, correct me if I’m wrong, you have a job, a nice wife, your foot hurts, and the weather is rough for the next few months (no two feet of snow so that’s a plus). Sounds like things are looking up!! 

On 12/30/2018 at 11:58 AM, Gugny said:

New York is an at will state and STILL impossible to fire people.  It really means nothing.

It's not very hard to fire employees in New York, particularly for non-union employers.   AFAIK, the only New York employees who have protection from firing without just cause are unionized employees and those protected by Civil Service law.

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

It's not very hard to fire employees in New York, particularly for non-union employers.   AFAIK, the only New York employees who have protection from firing without just cause are unionized employees and those protected by Civil Service law.

Likely depends on the company.  I have a difficult time.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Likely depends on the company.  I have a difficult time.

That's probably more company policy than state law.  In my working days, I worked in both the private and public sector, so I've seen both sides.

The key to terminating employees who are not doing their jobs or who have time/attendance issues or whatever, is to build a good case.  That means keeping a log documenting the employee's incidents of poor work, poor attendance, trouble in the workplace as well as your efforts to correct the situation.   Document, document, document.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

That's probably more company policy than state law.  In my working days, I worked in both the private and public sector, so I've seen both sides.

The key to terminating employees who are not doing their jobs or who have time/attendance issues or whatever, is to build a good case.  That means keeping a log documenting the employee's incidents of poor work, poor attendance, trouble in the workplace as well as your efforts to correct the situation.   Document, document, document.

I document everything.

I fired a girl last January for attendance.  I had every date she was either absent, late or left early - and had details, as far as hours missed, etc.  Firing her was easy since she was in such horrible violation.

However, when she was denied unemployment, she fought it.  I had to attend a court hearing, during which I presented all of my data.  The judge sent the judgment in the mail a week later.  They ruled in her favor.  The real ass biter is that the reason they said they sided with her was based on a comment that I made.  The comment was almost exactly OPPOSITE of what I'd stated.

The last day she left early (just vanished an hour into her shift) was when I decided to fire her.  I got the green light to fire her when she came in the next day.  She told me that she had to leave because her daughter's day care closed.  It was an excuse she'd used multiple times.  I discussed it with HR and we decided we were firing her anyway, due to the other 28 occurrences she had in the previous three months.

The judge asked me, "even after you learned why she left early, you still decided to proceed with termination?"  I answered, "Yes.  We decided based on the employee's history of violations that we would move forward with terminating her employment."

When I read the judgment it stated, "The Operations Manager told the court that had he known the reason for the employee's early departure, that he would not have moved forward with termination.  Based on this, we are ruling in favor of the employee."

Outright lie.  Complete fabrication.  My company told me to let it go.  It's been a year and I still fume over it.

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I document everything.

I fired a girl last January for attendance.  I had every date she was either absent, late or left early - and had details, as far as hours missed, etc.  Firing her was easy since she was in such horrible violation.

However, when she was denied unemployment, she fought it.  I had to attend a court hearing, during which I presented all of my data.  The judge sent the judgment in the mail a week later.  They ruled in her favor.  The real ass biter is that the reason they said they sided with her was based on a comment that I made.  The comment was almost exactly OPPOSITE of what I'd stated.

The last day she left early (just vanished an hour into her shift) was when I decided to fire her.  I got the green light to fire her when she came in the next day.  She told me that she had to leave because her daughter's day care closed.  It was an excuse she'd used multiple times.  I discussed it with HR and we decided we were firing her anyway, due to the other 28 occurrences she had in the previous three months.

The judge asked me, "even after you learned why she left early, you still decided to proceed with termination?"  I answered, "Yes.  We decided based on the employee's history of violations that we would move forward with terminating her employment."

When I read the judgment it stated, "The Operations Manager told the court that had he known the reason for the employee's early departure, that he would not have moved forward with termination.  Based on this, we are ruling in favor of the employee."

Outright lie.  Complete fabrication.  My company told me to let it go.  It's been a year and I still fume over it.

You were able to fire her, just not have her be denied unemployment.   That's an entirely different issue.

Just now, SoTier said:

You were able to fire her, just not have her be denied unemployment.   That's an entirely different issue.

I realize that.  But I also have a difficult time firing people, in general.  Much of it is due to demographics and the company's fear of being sued.  I even got my hand slapped for firing a temp.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got notice I was promoted. 

I was promoted from Senior Systems Engineer thru Systems Engineer Senior to Systems Engineer Advisor. 

By thru I mean my company merged (absorbed) another company so my title was changed to Systems Engineer Senior (that title makes me feel old) and then promoted to Systems Engineer Advisor on new title scale. No word on whether a raise comes with new title but evidently it was needed for me because my salary was at the top of the range for Systems Engineer Senior and without a promotion I could only get cost of living raises.  I asked my boss about this new title and he said it tells the Engineer also has leadership duties/responsibilities. 

I went to glassdoor and the average reported salaries for Systems Engineer Advisor were significantly less than Senior Systems Engineer so wondering how this affects my job hunt post working at this company.  Also interesting is that our review cycle has just started for year meaning I got promotion before review.  I asked my boss if this meant I did not have to do my self assessment and I still need to do it. :(

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I just got notice I was promoted. 

I was promoted from Senior Systems Engineer thru Systems Engineer Senior to Systems Engineer Advisor. 

By thru I mean my company merged (absorbed) another company so my title was changed to Systems Engineer Senior (that title makes me feel old) and then promoted to Systems Engineer Advisor on new title scale. No word on whether a raise comes with new title but evidently it was needed for me because my salary was at the top of the range for Systems Engineer Senior and without a promotion I could only get cost of living raises.  I asked my boss about this new title and he said it tells the Engineer also has leadership duties/responsibilities. 

I went to glassdoor and the average reported salaries for Systems Engineer Advisor were significantly less than Senior Systems Engineer so wondering how this affects my job hunt post working at this company.  Also interesting is that our review cycle has just started for year meaning I got promotion before review.  I asked my boss if this meant I did not have to do my self assessment and I still need to do it. :(

See.....most times things have a way of working out. Now you can buy some better feet.

15 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

See.....most times things have a way of working out. Now you can buy some better feet.

Not sure I will get a raise enough to pay for that.

It is really weird to use a medical device half an hour every day but there are people dependent upon using a medical device every second of their lives.